Star Trek Discovery

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

Star Trek Discovery

Post by Usenko » Wed, 31. Jan 18, 07:38

It's been a while since we discussed this.

Right now, I wouldn't call it my favourite Star Trek, but that's only because I think TNG sets a pretty high bar. The production values are good, the scripts are well-written, the stories are interesting, the editing is tight, the cast are well-chosen, the effects, costumes and make-up are on point (aside from the Klingons) and the continuity is being respected.

I'm definitely finding it hard to wait for each episode on Monday night!
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 31. Jan 18, 14:39

I think there's 16 episodes this season so the show is nearly done. So 3 more episodes this year. One episode was much shorter than the rest. 37 minutes vs 48 minutes. It's still my least favorite Star Trek. Seasons 1+2 seem to be weak parts for Star Trek series. The show has picked up in the last few episodes. I actually look forward to the next episode.
Last edited by burger1 on Wed, 31. Jan 18, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Wed, 31. Jan 18, 14:45

burger1 wrote:It's still my least favorite Star Trek.
Out of interest, does that include things like the first season of TNG?

I tried to rewatch that semi-recently, and it was excruciating. Wesley had so much makeup on, my wife asked if he was supposed to be human.

A lot of Enterprise was pretty poor, as was Voyager... Discovery is worse than those? I only ask as I haven't watched Discovery yet, I wanted to get a couple of seasons so I know it has a bit of momentum.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 31. Jan 18, 15:00

Jericho wrote:
burger1 wrote:It's still my least favorite Star Trek.
Out of interest, does that include things like the first season of TNG?

I tried to rewatch that semi-recently, and it was excruciating. Wesley had so much makeup on, my wife asked if he was supposed to be human.

A lot of Enterprise was pretty poor, as was Voyager... Discovery is worse than those? I only ask as I haven't watched Discovery yet, I wanted to get a couple of seasons so I know it has a bit of momentum.
I liked Enterprises pilot episode and a few episodes in season 1. For the most part I thought season 1 wasn't interesting. Same with Voyageur, DS9 and TNG.

Discovery is like a drama. The tone is serious and gloomy. All the episodes are connected. The other Star Treks are light and fluffy and their episodes are mostly independent of each other. Kind of like BSG vs Andromeda.

Star Trek Voyageur is the most rewatched Star Trek on netflix.

https://nerdist.com/star-trek-netflix-most-rewatched/

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 31. Jan 18, 17:11

burger1 wrote: Out of interest, does that include things like the first season of TNG?
I think most people can agree that drama face mcBoobs was the worse part of the introductory TNG story...
burger1 wrote:
Wesley had so much makeup on, my wife asked if he was supposed to be human.
Everything about Wesley was awful. But at least no-one can say it was Wil Wheatons fault. I know some people have tried to, and he did suffer because of that role, but he's pretty awesome now. I have his books and I do like it when he narrates a book I buy.
burger1 wrote: A lot of Enterprise was pretty poor, as was Voyager...
I can't bring myself to watch Enterprise. I've tried, but I can't. I struggled through the first few seasons when it was first on then gave up.
Voyager? I liked it, then it went downhill. Did I want to see endless episodes about fights with hillbilly aliens called the Kazon? Nope.

Then they finally got rid of Kess by letting herb go all godlike and having her boost them through space. And then she dropped them right in the middle of Borg space (yeah, why did she do that exactly? She couldn't have dropped them a bit further on?). But I guess they needed a brainy mcBoobface in spandex, didn't they..
After then I liked it a lot more, because the writing improved.

Trouble is, Seven is actually my favorite Star Trek character after Spock. Only I can't watch it with my wife, because all she can see is the costume, not the great character (after the doctor the best one in the series, well in my opinion) Why did they do the tight costume thing? Couldn't they have just made her a borg and let her wear a uniform? It even made her ill.

So I guess that made Voyager a bit of a fail really. There's the Babylon 5 ripoff DS9 we can watch, but that's my least favorite of the ones I like.

I'm waiting till Discovery is at least two seasons in, then I'll get a Netflix account again and watch it.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 08:12

I find DS9 has aged surprisingly well. I wasn't much of a fan when it was originally playing (I preferred TNG), but it's grown on me.
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 09:06

I would say DS9 is by far my favourite old Trek series, too. It was the only one that wasn't afraid to consistently show the darker side of things--yes, you had the occasional Voyager episode that did, but those always seemed to be "These other guys are gits, the Voyager crew have to show them the error of their ways".

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 09:10

Usenko wrote:I find DS9 has aged surprisingly well. I wasn't much of a fan when it was originally playing (I preferred TNG), but it's grown on me.
I liked later seasons a lot, but I have yet to rewatch it. Since Voyager is a fail my wife and I are about to start watching it. I'll just have to not mutter about them ripping off B5. Since we have watched that together she might notice the similarity.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 12:57

mrbadger wrote: I liked later seasons a lot, but I have yet to rewatch it. Since Voyager is a fail my wife and I are about to start watching it. I'll just have to not mutter about them ripping off B5. Since we have watched that together she might notice the similarity.
DS9 picks up its stride in season 4 when Worf arrives and the Dominion war plot really gets going. First season was definitely more miss than hit (remember "Move Along Home"? *shudder*).

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 14:07

There are episodes that will gets 'accidentally' skipped on our rewatch. That's one of them.

berth
x4

Post by berth » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 14:40

pjknibbs wrote:
mrbadger wrote: I liked later seasons a lot, but I have yet to rewatch it. Since Voyager is a fail my wife and I are about to start watching it. I'll just have to not mutter about them ripping off B5. Since we have watched that together she might notice the similarity.
DS9 picks up its stride in season 4 when Worf arrives and the Dominion war plot really gets going. First season was definitely more miss than hit (remember "Move Along Home"? *shudder*).
We are currently working our way through both Voyager and DS9 (seasons 2 and 1, respectively). I only ever saw the odd episode of each when they were on and it so happens that the other night it was "Move Along Home". Oof.

Your inference that it doesn't get any worse than that fills me with hope :D

Enjoying Discovery on the whole - it just doesn't feel very Star Trek to me.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 16:45

berth wrote: Your inference that it doesn't get any worse than that fills me with hope :D
Out of curiosity I went to look at the IMDB scores for each of the early DS9 episode. "Move Along Home", at 5.9/10, is the worst-rated episode of season 1 (narrowly beating "The Storyteller", which gets 6.0). The next episode that scores less than 6 is "Meridian", in season 3.

(To give a comparison, "Grey 17 is Missing", which is widely regarded as the most awful Babylon 5 episode ever made, gets 6.5).

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 18:50

pjknibbs wrote:
(To give a comparison, "Grey 17 is Missing", which is widely regarded as the most awful Babylon 5 episode ever made, gets 6.5).
No surprise to learn that. But it's a shame. It had the potential to be a great episode. I'm not sure how it went so wrong. But it has a really important moment for Marcus in it, so it can't be skipped, bad though it is. Maybe, since it was rated so badly someone has done a youtube analysis on why.

[quick search while typing]

Well what do you know, someone did :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wm2-PZYC6E

And he sums up his opinion in the first three minutes of the 38 minute video. He doesn't think t's great....

edit: oh yeah, not just Marcus, Naroon Delenne and Franklin have important stuff too. I don't hate it myself, I just fast forward through the stupid parts.

What an interesting channel I've found here. I'll have to watch some more of his stuff.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 20:35

DS9 was always my favourate. I have gotta do a rewatch again.

Gotten get around to watching Discovery. But I just wish there was a continuation series, not all these prequel stuff. Just finished reading Star Trek: Destiny and man that would make a good few season series. Even has some prequel stuff for those fans! ^^

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 21:11

MY question is, how do you define this as Star Trek? It looks and feels nothing like it.

The whole alternative universe trope again and executed so bad it hurts. One can hear the writers inserting all the Deus Ex Machina into the plot its not even funny. TNG was cheesy sure, but it was at least fun. This is a bland take at a rich universe and sorry but in 2018 I expect more. Looking forward for The Expanse for proper Sci-Fi and hope they dont pull a Dark Matter.

MFG

Ketraar

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 1. Feb 18, 21:22

Ketraar wrote:MY question is, how do you define this as Star Trek? It looks and feels nothing like it.

The whole alternative universe trope again and executed so bad it hurts. One can hear the writers inserting all the Deus Ex Machina into the plot its not even funny. TNG was cheesy sure, but it was at least fun. This is a bland take at a rich universe and sorry but in 2018 I expect more. Looking forward for The Expanse for proper Sci-Fi and hope they dont pull a Dark Matter.

MFG

Ketraar
Damn..... :(

Really going to have watch this now and make up my own mind.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 12:22

I can't really articulate how I feel about this programme except that it is very negative.
A flower?

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 15:08

http://botnik.org/content/tng/

This would be very watchable.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 18:30

It would be much easier to discuss Discovery if it were easier for people to watch it. But it's locked behind a paywall.

Not I admit a very tall one, and I do prefer the Netflix model to Timeslot locked TV. But I'm unwilling to renew my membership for a while yet.

Netflix is seriously upping its game these days with original content. They need more Science Fiction original content to attract me long term.

If they got the rights to the upcoming Mega City One series then I'd definitely get a membership. That's a few years from filming yet though.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 2. Feb 18, 18:40

mrbadger wrote:It would be much easier to discuss Discovery if it were easier for people to watch it. But it's locked behind a paywall.
Welel here Netflix you can buy at a montly base, so if one month there is nothing of worth you can just "disable" it and "re-activate" at a later date as you see fit.

My problem with Destiny is that its not interesting. The plot is forced and has no meaning or impact whatsoever. Twists and turns for the sake of it, lots of Fi and very little Sci for my taste, especially the overused "lets replace this dude with an exact copy but change just a few things that are relevant to the plot and ignore anything else."

I wont rant more as it would require major spoilers, but if you crave for Sci-fi anything, might as well watch it, its not like there is much choice.

MFG

Ketraar

Return to “Off Topic English”