omg omg omg!!! things are happening! (The Expanse)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Observe
xr

Re: omg omg omg!!! things are happening! (The Expanse)

Post by Observe » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 18:46

Well produced trailer.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 4. Feb 22, 09:53

My three-year 'bingewatch' brought me up to date last night. - I have to say, series one did feel like a little bit of a barrier to what is otherwise a truly superb show.

The cast is super, and I loved Drummer and the scarred dude who *spoiler coming* who ended up spaced. - My only issue across was Naomi's predisposition to overacting in emotionally charged scenes. Other than that, I can't pick fault. I guess I've a long wait until the next series, so might just have to consume the novels.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 7. Feb 22, 19:42

Question to people who read the final book.

Do you find suprisingly a lot of similarities with Nexus: The Jupiter Incident?

Nexus released in 2004.
Leviathan Wakes released in 2011.

I mean both setting and story have many similarities, even game description on Steam could describe The Expanse as well:
"At the dawn of the 22nd century, the conquest of space and the colonization of the solar system is being monopolized by several huge and ambitious mega-corporations. Although extremely delicate and vulnerable, a balance is maintained by these companies. At the very edge of the solar system the companies make a discovery which will shift the technological advantage and upset the balance. And so a new conflict is born: "The Jupiter Incident".
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident is a real-time mission-based tactical space game featuring spectacular real time battles and breathtaking motion picture quality. Focus on tactics and action as you control up to a dozen battleships encountering aliens, unknown solar systems and astrophysical phenomena in your struggle to save Earth.
Are you ready to take on the challenge?"

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 01:11

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 7. Feb 22, 19:42

Nexus released in 2004.
Leviathan Wakes released in 2011.

I mean both setting and story have many similarities, even game description on Steam could describe The Expanse as well:
"At the dawn of the 22nd century, the conquest of space and the colonization of the solar system is being monopolized by several huge and ambitious mega-corporations. Although extremely delicate and vulnerable, a balance is maintained by these companies. At the very edge of the solar system the companies make a discovery which will shift the technological advantage and upset the balance. And so a new conflict is born: "The Jupiter Incident".
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident is a real-time mission-based tactical space game featuring spectacular real time battles and breathtaking motion picture quality. Focus on tactics and action as you control up to a dozen battleships encountering aliens, unknown solar systems and astrophysical phenomena in your struggle to save Earth.
Are you ready to take on the challenge?"
I haven’t read the final book yet, but too my knowledge The Expanse was originally meant as a video game, but the creators later decided to make it into a book. I would assume it might have taken inspiration from Nexus.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 07:37

Teladi CEO wrote:
Tue, 8. Feb 22, 01:11
I haven’t read the final book yet, but too my knowledge The Expanse was originally meant as a video game, but the creators later decided to make it into a book. I would assume it might have taken inspiration from Nexus.
Oh, I remember that was supose to be Nexus 2 but never finished beyond the impresive (back then) promo trailer.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 19:00

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 7. Feb 22, 19:42

Not really.
Nexus, game I liked very much, had fairly generic setting in so far that it had many themes and concepts covered many, many, many times in the literature or games that came before it.
You could just as easily say that Expanse is inspired by the game Terminus from 2000.

Anyway from wiki:
The authors have stated that the series gets some of its inspirations from Fred Pohl's Gateway and the other Heechee books. It has also been observed that there are similarities in the political and social setting of the series to Alfred Bester's classic science fiction novel The Stars My Destination. Ty Franck has also stated Ridley Scott's Alien as having "the single largest influence on The Expanse."

Return to “Off Topic English”