omg omg omg!!! things are happening! (The Expanse)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: omg omg omg!!! things are happening! (The Expanse)

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 3. Feb 21, 18:29

I read the entire book set during COVID lockdown simply because I couldn't stand to wait for TV show.
It's a rare case where TV show is even better than the books, so whoever didn't read the books, I envy you, because you're about to embark for helluva ride.

The final book is sheduled for this year, so even if season 6 would be the final one, people could still get their answers from books (and there will be a lot of unaswered question if they stop with S6).

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 3. Feb 21, 22:26

Well, it's definitely one of, if not, the best sci-fi TV shows I've seen. Which totally explains why syfy dropped it :roll:

They've done so much with deep fakes and prosthetics, and that's only getting better, that they don't really need to wait to 'age' the actors. And if they wait too long, some of them won't be around to be in any follow on shows or movies, which will make the job that much more difficult. The show is doing so well... I just have a hard time understanding, fiscally, why they would want to change to a full movie and introduce an unnecessary gap in release. It would stand to reason that they have more to gain by doing even a short season for the remaining books.

I dunno. Game of Thrones was so good right up until the final season when they rushed to wrap that up. Granted, they didn't have the final book to base the show's writing on, but the point being that the shortened season and trying to tie up all the loose ends left it lacking in substance. I hope something similar doesn't happen with The Expanse. I mean, we're only getting 10 episodes per year on a budget roughly equivalent of a major film plus some.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 09:29

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 3. Feb 21, 18:00
I hope these are just rumors and they will actually make proper season for each book, especially that book 7 and 8 is as good as book 6 - both in terms of action and world building.

The one interesting thing is the TV show divergence from books in some details.
I was quite shocked they canceled Cas Anvar / Alex Kamal after season 5.
However, so far I like every change TV show made to the books (especially how they re-wrote Ashford to be much more complex), so I'm looking forward to be suprised.

My guess is they'll put Bull as Rochinante pilot, as it would fit well with later events.
Thank god I avoided this post until now, after watching the episode...

I'm very impressed too and can't wait to see how things are going on the tv show in the future.
It's been arguably the best sci-fi show of all times.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 22:45

Season 6, felt this was the best of all so far,
I rewatch each episode at least twice

But only 6 episodes rather than 10 ???, seems a bit short.

Is there going to be any more (seasons) do you think ?

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 22:50

It seems to be very doubtful, I am afraid. Still the books are very good. :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 22:56

My only regret is that we haven't seen the new UNN ship in any combat action :(

I still hope they will make book 7,8 and 9 eventually.

If you think Season/Book 6 was good, then I tell you, the shit got even better later on (at least book 7 and 8, as I'll get my hands on book 9 in the end of Janaury)!

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 01:58

Was reading on good ol' Wikipedia that it might not be the final series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series)
However, the authors of the novels and writers on the series, Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, have stated that they view season 6 as a "pause" rather than a conclusion and that Alcon Entertainment "is very committed to the IP"

Plus, looks like in March there will be a 'complete Expanse collection' (books 1 to 9) released for Kindle
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Memorys-Legion ... 097G929W8/

pre-ordered that, to see how the books compare to the Prime Original TV.

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 02:27

exogenesis wrote:
Sat, 29. Jan 22, 01:58
Plus, looks like in March there will be a 'complete Expanse collection' (books 1 to 9) released for Kindle
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Memorys-Legion ... 097G929W8/

pre-ordered that, to see how the books compare to the Prime Original TV.
That looks to just be all the short stories that have been published either on their own or in magazines over the years. It's not the complete series as a whole.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 10:42

Ah, wondered why it was about the same price as each of the 9 books themselves,
blast, looks like it ~£60 to buy all the books then (as well) ...

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 13:40

Knowing the content of book 7, 8 and now reading the final 9th book I can say only one thing:

AMAZON, please do this!
I don't care about time-skip, you can even put crappy make-up and dye grey hair for main cast.

The story is too good to be left or compressed into movie (or 3 movies)!

Personally I think The Expanse TV show is currently the only one that took some significant changes to the book and made it better.

Without spoilers:
Books 7,8 and 9 are like season 4 (colonial and alien artifacts theme) and season 6 (political, warfare and "the things inside the gate") cranked to top quality.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 18:46

Well produced trailer.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 4. Feb 22, 09:53

My three-year 'bingewatch' brought me up to date last night. - I have to say, series one did feel like a little bit of a barrier to what is otherwise a truly superb show.

The cast is super, and I loved Drummer and the scarred dude who *spoiler coming* who ended up spaced. - My only issue across was Naomi's predisposition to overacting in emotionally charged scenes. Other than that, I can't pick fault. I guess I've a long wait until the next series, so might just have to consume the novels.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 7. Feb 22, 19:42

Question to people who read the final book.

Do you find suprisingly a lot of similarities with Nexus: The Jupiter Incident?

Nexus released in 2004.
Leviathan Wakes released in 2011.

I mean both setting and story have many similarities, even game description on Steam could describe The Expanse as well:
"At the dawn of the 22nd century, the conquest of space and the colonization of the solar system is being monopolized by several huge and ambitious mega-corporations. Although extremely delicate and vulnerable, a balance is maintained by these companies. At the very edge of the solar system the companies make a discovery which will shift the technological advantage and upset the balance. And so a new conflict is born: "The Jupiter Incident".
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident is a real-time mission-based tactical space game featuring spectacular real time battles and breathtaking motion picture quality. Focus on tactics and action as you control up to a dozen battleships encountering aliens, unknown solar systems and astrophysical phenomena in your struggle to save Earth.
Are you ready to take on the challenge?"

Teladi CEO

Post by Teladi CEO » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 01:11

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 7. Feb 22, 19:42

Nexus released in 2004.
Leviathan Wakes released in 2011.

I mean both setting and story have many similarities, even game description on Steam could describe The Expanse as well:
"At the dawn of the 22nd century, the conquest of space and the colonization of the solar system is being monopolized by several huge and ambitious mega-corporations. Although extremely delicate and vulnerable, a balance is maintained by these companies. At the very edge of the solar system the companies make a discovery which will shift the technological advantage and upset the balance. And so a new conflict is born: "The Jupiter Incident".
Nexus - The Jupiter Incident is a real-time mission-based tactical space game featuring spectacular real time battles and breathtaking motion picture quality. Focus on tactics and action as you control up to a dozen battleships encountering aliens, unknown solar systems and astrophysical phenomena in your struggle to save Earth.
Are you ready to take on the challenge?"
I haven’t read the final book yet, but too my knowledge The Expanse was originally meant as a video game, but the creators later decided to make it into a book. I would assume it might have taken inspiration from Nexus.
We don’t know what paradise is like, but probably it’s blue magenta, flecked with pink. But even if it’s green and red-checked we should make the most of it. -Boron saying

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 07:37

Teladi CEO wrote:
Tue, 8. Feb 22, 01:11
I haven’t read the final book yet, but too my knowledge The Expanse was originally meant as a video game, but the creators later decided to make it into a book. I would assume it might have taken inspiration from Nexus.
Oh, I remember that was supose to be Nexus 2 but never finished beyond the impresive (back then) promo trailer.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 19:00

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 7. Feb 22, 19:42

Not really.
Nexus, game I liked very much, had fairly generic setting in so far that it had many themes and concepts covered many, many, many times in the literature or games that came before it.
You could just as easily say that Expanse is inspired by the game Terminus from 2000.

Anyway from wiki:
The authors have stated that the series gets some of its inspirations from Fred Pohl's Gateway and the other Heechee books. It has also been observed that there are similarities in the political and social setting of the series to Alfred Bester's classic science fiction novel The Stars My Destination. Ty Franck has also stated Ridley Scott's Alien as having "the single largest influence on The Expanse."

Return to “Off Topic English”