omg omg omg!!! things are happening! (The Expanse)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: omg omg omg!!! things are happening! (The Expanse)

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 12:07

"Still annoyed by the stupid Belter speak .."

Hmm. It seems to me that a lot of the US/UK commercial TV channels seem to be using it for their sponsors/products advertising nowadays. It annoys me there more than it does in The Expanse. :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 16:11

Weird they would be doing that since the show is only aired on streaming platforms and not on broadcast tv. But oh well, I don't watch broadcast TV so doesn't bother me :mrgreen:
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 16:26

I actually quite like the Belter speak and also just resubscribed to Prime Video just for this series. Yes I could have waited and binged all in January for just one month, but I cant wait to watch good scifi to wash off the stench from Discovery :P ( :D )

MFG

Ketraar

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 17. Dec 20, 17:09

I like Belter speak as a immersion concept, but in the books I often didn't understand what they are talking and skipped belter dialogues.
What can I say, I'm an Inner after all, I'm not suppose to understand Belters :)

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 01:05

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 17. Dec 20, 17:09
I like Belter speak as a immersion concept, but in the books I often didn't understand what they are talking and skipped belter dialogues.
What can I say, I'm an Inner after all, I'm not suppose to understand Belters :)
This is where I'm at.

I like concept, and they're showing that language has moved on and the Belters have developed their own variant based on English and something else (Creole gets floated about?) but it just sounds like gibberish to me. Having entire segments where the conversation, and ultimately plot, is unintelligible doesn't make good TV; even having the subtitles on is of little use to me sometimes.

It also doesn't help that one of the main characters, Naomi, seems to changed how she speaks in the last season or two; she now sounds like a UK chav with her "U WOT M8?!" accent.

Ugh. Push through Moo! I should just be pleased there's decent sci-fi back on, and it's not that pap Discovery. :roll:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 18. Dec 20, 07:06

Tycow wrote:
Fri, 18. Dec 20, 01:05
It also doesn't help that one of the main characters, Naomi, seems to changed how she speaks in the last season or two; she now sounds like a UK chav with her "U WOT M8?!" accent.
Well, the actress is from East London, so she's probably just reverting to her natural accent.

Tycow
x4

Post by Tycow » Sat, 19. Dec 20, 20:49

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 18. Dec 20, 07:06
Tycow wrote:
Fri, 18. Dec 20, 01:05
Well, the actress is from East London, so she's probably just reverting to her natural accent.
That makes far more sense then. :)

Just got to the end of episode 2, and Amos is still reaffirming why he's my favourite character. :D

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Sun, 20. Dec 20, 00:46

Was looking around for other films that Wes Chatham (Amos) had been in,
to see if he carried off a similar persona elsewhere.
Bit disappointed I only found one worth watching, 'Husk' horror movie, but he wasn't great.

I love the Belter accent & lingo, one of the best parts of the whole atmosphere for me,
sounds similar to Afrikaans with a threatening-vibe twist.
Quite disturbing when a real baddie speaks like that, e.g. Jared Harris in the Fringe series,
he's plays Anderson Daws in the Expanse with close to the same accent.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 30. Dec 20, 17:27

Holly crap just watched Ep. 5 and even if its one of those slower ones, you could cut the tension with a knife. The stuff its clearly setting up feel like the second half of the season will hafe stuff escalate quite a bit.

Man the episodes just fly 45ish feel like 5 minutes. Cant praise this show enough.

MFG

Ketraar

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 30. Dec 20, 19:11

If it's goes like the book, the second half will definetly be intense :)

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 3. Feb 21, 10:09

This season has been incredible. I'm blown away at how deep the story has gotten and I can't wait for more.

I've been seeing rumors that the show is going to continue past season 6, which was previously announced to be the final season. I hope those rumors pan out. I don't want this to ever end!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 3. Feb 21, 17:29

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Wed, 3. Feb 21, 10:09
This season has been incredible. I'm blown away at how deep the story has gotten and I can't wait for more.

I've been seeing rumors that the show is going to continue past season 6, which was previously announced to be the final season. I hope those rumors pan out. I don't want this to ever end!
The problem is that there is a 10-20 years timeskip between book 6 and book 7 - I heard they want to wait some time after season 6 so that actors get older, but then they want to put book 7, 8 and 9 into one movie (not even one season, one movie).

I wish they would continue past season/book 6 simply to see
Spoiler
Show
how they would design Laconia ships and technology (Earth-Mars Coalition and Transport Guild post-war ships too).

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 3. Feb 21, 17:40

So, what you're saying is we'll get The Expanse: The Movie, then The Expanse: The Movie: Director's Cut, then The Expanse: The Movie: Director's Cut: Extended Edition all the way to a 3 disc Blu-Ray 12 hour single feature.
rebellionpac.com

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 3. Feb 21, 18:00

I hope these are just rumors and they will actually make proper season for each book, especially that book 7 and 8 is as good as book 6 - both in terms of action and world building.

The one interesting thing is the TV show divergence from books in some details.
I was quite shocked they canceled Cas Anvar / Alex Kamal after season 5.
However, so far I like every change TV show made to the books (especially how they re-wrote Ashford to be much more complex), so I'm looking forward to be suprised.

My guess is they'll put Bull as Rochinante pilot, as it would fit well with later events.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 3. Feb 21, 18:11

Eh, I'm not shocked by it. Dude couldn't keep it in his pants. I wouldn't wanna work with em /shrug

Anywho, whatever the book's contents are, the show has been fantastic all the way around. I have no complaints.
rebellionpac.com

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 3. Feb 21, 18:29

I read the entire book set during COVID lockdown simply because I couldn't stand to wait for TV show.
It's a rare case where TV show is even better than the books, so whoever didn't read the books, I envy you, because you're about to embark for helluva ride.

The final book is sheduled for this year, so even if season 6 would be the final one, people could still get their answers from books (and there will be a lot of unaswered question if they stop with S6).

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 3. Feb 21, 22:26

Well, it's definitely one of, if not, the best sci-fi TV shows I've seen. Which totally explains why syfy dropped it :roll:

They've done so much with deep fakes and prosthetics, and that's only getting better, that they don't really need to wait to 'age' the actors. And if they wait too long, some of them won't be around to be in any follow on shows or movies, which will make the job that much more difficult. The show is doing so well... I just have a hard time understanding, fiscally, why they would want to change to a full movie and introduce an unnecessary gap in release. It would stand to reason that they have more to gain by doing even a short season for the remaining books.

I dunno. Game of Thrones was so good right up until the final season when they rushed to wrap that up. Granted, they didn't have the final book to base the show's writing on, but the point being that the shortened season and trying to tie up all the loose ends left it lacking in substance. I hope something similar doesn't happen with The Expanse. I mean, we're only getting 10 episodes per year on a budget roughly equivalent of a major film plus some.
rebellionpac.com

BrasatoAlBarolo
x4

Post by BrasatoAlBarolo » Fri, 5. Feb 21, 09:29

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 3. Feb 21, 18:00
I hope these are just rumors and they will actually make proper season for each book, especially that book 7 and 8 is as good as book 6 - both in terms of action and world building.

The one interesting thing is the TV show divergence from books in some details.
I was quite shocked they canceled Cas Anvar / Alex Kamal after season 5.
However, so far I like every change TV show made to the books (especially how they re-wrote Ashford to be much more complex), so I'm looking forward to be suprised.

My guess is they'll put Bull as Rochinante pilot, as it would fit well with later events.
Thank god I avoided this post until now, after watching the episode...

I'm very impressed too and can't wait to see how things are going on the tv show in the future.
It's been arguably the best sci-fi show of all times.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 22:45

Season 6, felt this was the best of all so far,
I rewatch each episode at least twice

But only 6 episodes rather than 10 ???, seems a bit short.

Is there going to be any more (seasons) do you think ?

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 22:50

It seems to be very doubtful, I am afraid. Still the books are very good. :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Return to “Off Topic English”