New PC

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: New PC

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 20. Oct 21, 10:37

BaronVerde wrote:
Wed, 20. Oct 21, 00:07
Guys builders and gamers,

my new graphics card has 2 pcie power connectors. The power supply comes with cables that have two serial plugs on the appliance end. Should I use one cable to the power supply or two (distribute load ?) ?

My old gtx 970 drained about the same power as the new 6700xt (a bit more than 300W max) but only had one connector.

Cheers
I went from a single power connector card (GTX1660) on my old system to a custom system with a 3070 card. - The new system was prebuilt, but with the graphics card left out, during postage, for obvious reasons. Even though it only drew a max of 225 watts, the instructions from the builder (Palicomp) insisted I must connect both power connectors.

Far less than your 300 watts, but it does suggest both should be connected.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 20. Oct 21, 11:21

BaronVerde wrote:
Wed, 20. Oct 21, 00:07
I use one cable to the power supply or two (distribute load ?) ?
The recommendation* is to use two to distribute the load.

*That I saw on the net ... https://i.redd.it/qfwh3kboeyl51.png

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 20. Oct 21, 11:24

Thank you both.

That image clears it.

And I may have told nonsense, my variant drains 240W max.

Code: Select all

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 21. Oct 21, 13:12

Think it's the old fashioned "how much power can it supply on the rail..." or something similar; basically power = volts * amps, and your rail is 12v I assume for gfx card connectors.

Your PSU should say how many Amps it can supply per 12v connector, or certainly how many amps in total for 12v. Mine is apparently 46A, meaning 46*12 = 552W (600W supply). Now whether that's a max continuous load or not is about the power rating isn't it? Mine is bronze. It's an old PSU from 2012 but still brilliant :) However, given it claims a max 130W @ 3.3/5v then it's not going to be able to output a total of 682W if i'm drawing max on both 5 and 12v; so something will be less.

The bit I do not know is whether if you're just using 1x12v plug that you could ever draw 552W down it :D But certainly you can determine if you've got 3 lines (all separate) that it'd be the total 12v Wattage / 3 for power on each? The whole "don't use connectors on same line, use different lines" may be because of that, or may just be because it'll draw what it needs from both, which won't overload a single one or if one fails the other still carries on? I've literally no idea :D

Unsure if that makes sense, but it does mean you can check the 12v amp supply on your PSU and calculate it's wattage. If you had a 500W psu but could only supply 250W at 12v then it'd be a problem regardless of how many of it's 12v lines and plugs you use.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 21. Oct 21, 17:36

I saw somewhere ( https://www.igorslab.de/en/up-to-600-wa ... exclusive/ ) specs of a new connector (12+4 pins?) that could supply almost 600 Watts. Isn't it the number of wires and their thickness that determines how much power can flow through cable without overheat/melt/burst?

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Thu, 21. Oct 21, 17:54

Yes, in principle it is. I'm not so much into electronics, but just dabbling around with a plan for a photovoltaic installation for my future place. The thicker the cables and higher the voltage, the lower the resistance and heating. There are regulations of how thick cables should minimally be, depending on climate zone (here more than in central Europe).

Btw., the psu set the box under tension, which gave me a ... refreshing sentiment :o :rant: . Will return it. But at least I could get a glimpse that under Debian Bookworm and open source driver, the new graphics card worked and vulkan was available, also for my own helpless tinkering :roll: .

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

BaronVerde
x4

Post by BaronVerde » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 23:32

Has anybody here built or uses a pc with an AMD Ryzen 7 5700G ?

I should keep my money together, espacially since I have a new pc. But it so much teases me to do one of those in a micro atx case, with 720p or evn full hd resolution, as a quiet and humble development pc ...

/l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Return to “Off Topic English”