Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Re: Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 28. Mar 22, 23:02

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 28. Mar 22, 15:30
Weakened immune system is par for the course with lymphoma, it *is* a cancer affecting the cells that fight infections, after all. Just taking a few white blood cells isn't going to be an issue, though.
What is the antigen being targeted by the CAR-T therapy? I did some work in graduate school modifying T cells in a similar fashion, giving them T cell receptors specific for HIV. I also recently was a reviewer for a paper looking at how CD21 expression on B cell lymphomas negatively affects the efficacy of CD19 CAR-T cell therapy.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 29. Mar 22, 01:41

pjknibbs wrote:
Mon, 28. Mar 22, 15:30
Weakened immune system is par for the course with lymphoma, it *is* a cancer affecting the cells that fight infections, after all. Just taking a few white blood cells isn't going to be an issue, though.
okay, understood.

does it take long for them to do such modification?
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 29. Mar 22, 07:32

Falcrack, you're asking questions way beyond my knowledge there. The cells will be modified to attack the cancer, that's all I know. Since the cancer I have is B-cell lymphoma I would assume they'll be designed to attack those, but beyond that, couldn't say.

Fiksal, it should take around 5-6 weeks, from what I'm told.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 29. Mar 22, 14:34

pjknibbs wrote:
Tue, 29. Mar 22, 07:32
Falcrack, you're asking questions way beyond my knowledge there. The cells will be modified to attack the cancer, that's all I know. Since the cancer I have is B-cell lymphoma I would assume they'll be designed to attack those, but beyond that, couldn't say.

Fiksal, it should take around 5-6 weeks, from what I'm told.
The paper I reviewed indicated that some B cell lymphomas express higher levels of a protein called CD21 on the surface. CD21 expression on these particular B cell lymphomas can potentially cause CD19 CAR-T cell therapy to be less effective. Since you have a B cell lymphoma, I assume that the therapy you are receiving is CD19 CAR-T cell therapy. You might want to ask your doctor if the linked article is of interest and relevant to your situation. Unfortunately it is behind a paywall, so you or your doctor will have to decide whether it is worth paying a bit to access it. It is a very good paper with some very compelling data.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35338522/

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 29. Mar 22, 16:47

The thing is...this is the last therapy available. There isn't a choice other than this one, no others have worked. So it doesn't really matter to me if it's less likely to work on me or not, because the alternative is death, and there ain't any cure for that.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Wed, 30. Mar 22, 03:02

Full respect to you, PJ. I've been knocking at death's door before, but it was only for a few days with a high chance of survival, so there is no way I can even imagine what you are going through long term. I do hope from the bottom of my heart that everything is going to work out for you.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 30. Mar 22, 05:32

All of us will one day have our own personal date with death. I personally am convinced that this life is not the end, that death is simply the beginning of the next phase of our existence, though I realize not everyone shares this view. I try therefore, admittedly imperfectly, to live my life now in preparation for the life to come. I believe that the people we become, shaped by the experiences in this life and our responses to them, will help shape our characteristics in eternity.

As to the CD19 CAR-T cell therapy, I apologize if I was presenting it from a somewhat negative aspect of potential failure. I should stress that CAR-T cell therapy is a very good therapy which can have some great outcomes. If it were found that the B cell lymphoma was CD21 negative, then this would give me a lot more hope as to the potential success of the therapy. This paper is still very new data, and it was just a study done with mice and B cell tumor lines in a somewhat artificial setting, so it is not yet possible to make definitive statements for human subjects one way or the other.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 31. Mar 22, 00:42

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 30. Mar 22, 05:32
All of us will one day have our own personal date with death. I personally am convinced that this life is not the end, that death is simply the beginning of the next phase of our existence, though I realize not everyone shares this view.
you are welcome to my thread about Atheism where we can discuss that aspect further
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 31. Mar 22, 01:41

fiksal wrote:
Thu, 31. Mar 22, 00:42
Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 30. Mar 22, 05:32
All of us will one day have our own personal date with death. I personally am convinced that this life is not the end, that death is simply the beginning of the next phase of our existence, though I realize not everyone shares this view.
you are welcome to my thread about Atheism where we can discuss that aspect further
I've sent a PM to you, if you would rather discuss it that way.

Ebonyfly
x3tc

Post by Ebonyfly » Sun, 3. Apr 22, 22:58

Good luck PJ. Rooting for you.

Vesa
x4

Post by Vesa » Tue, 5. Apr 22, 20:43

Good luck PJ, I have been out of the forums for quite a while, I'm in those years where you have barely the time and energy to play sometimes between family time and work, not much time to discuss here. I did manage to play X4 and X3:FL when they came out, though. I remember you already from the X2 times, never played X1. So, let's hope those augmented turbo-cells will work.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 8. Apr 22, 08:06

Going to be a busy day next Tuesday! Have two appointments at the Christie, one for a lung function test and the other a general fitness evaluation, then I have to head over to Wigan for another PET scan.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 8. Apr 22, 09:22

Will be watching for updates and hope all goes well.

I'm sure your tests will go better than your car's MOT did!
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 12. Apr 22, 07:47

I completely forgot it was half term and so I set off for the hospital at my usual ridiculously early hour--barely saw another car on the way apart from on the M60! Got here so early the door wasn't open and so I had to buzz Security to let me in...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 11:41

I am absolutely knackered. Four hospital appointments across three different hospitals in 2 days...not fun at all. I now at least get to rest for a week and a half before i have to do five days of straight radiotherapy appointments at the Oldham branch of Christie.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 22:00

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 13. Apr 22, 11:41
I am absolutely knackered. Four hospital appointments across three different hospitals in 2 days...not fun at all. I now at least get to rest for a week and a half before i have to do five days of straight radiotherapy appointments at the Oldham branch of Christie.
You are doing really well, better than I would, I suspect. Do you have any support whilst you rest up the next week and a half, or will jobs and responsibility intrude? Either way, hope all goes well for your marathon of therapy. :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 22:30

You know Paul, I really admire your stamina and patience. Reading what you are having to do, it seems to me that you would need to be pretty fit and active just to cope with the various travel and treatment requirements. Keep up the sustained effort and I hope it all pays off well for you.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 14. Apr 22, 08:23

Lovely of you to say, Alan, but "fit" and "active" are definitely not words I'd use to describe myself. "Bloody-minded" and "obstinate" are probably closer to the mark! :D

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 14. Apr 22, 19:34

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 14. Apr 22, 08:23
Lovely of you to say, Alan, but "fit" and "active" are definitely not words I'd use to describe myself. "Bloody-minded" and "obstinate" are probably closer to the mark! :D
In that case, long may you continue to be "obstinate" and "Bloody-minded".
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 14. Apr 22, 19:46

Well, that's unwelcome news...just got a call from the doctor asking me to come in to the hospital tomorrow (which is a Bank Holiday!!!) to get a blood test and pick up some steroids. Apparently the PET scan I had on Tuesday showed I have mild hydronephrosis of my right kidney--e.g. it's slightly swollen, posssibly due to interference from the tumour. The idea of the steroids is to try and reduce the swelling before I have the radiotherapy in a week. I may also need to go in for a follow-up on Monday (also a bank holiday) depending what the results of the blood tests are. So, there goes my hopes of not having anything sharp poked in me for at least a week...

Return to “Off Topic English”