Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Re: Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 14. Aug 22, 02:36

fiksal wrote:
Fri, 12. Aug 22, 20:42
Chips wrote:
Wed, 20. Jul 22, 23:47
pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 17. Jul 22, 14:22
I'm OK for now.
Well if you ever get seriously bored, I do have a copy of War and Peace floating around...

I never got past page 10. And that's the introduction.
In original Russian, that's probably page 200
Life and Fate by Vassily Grossman is better and shorter (it's also a contender for my single favourite book). Don't be under any illusion though, it is long, it is Russian, it is hard work, and it is wonderful.

On to my only real point - sending @pjknibbs my best wishes. I'm thinking of you and wishing you well.

RM
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 14. Aug 22, 07:11

RegisterMe wrote:
Sun, 14. Aug 22, 02:36
Life and Fate by Vassily Grossman is better and shorter (it's also a contender for my single favourite book). Don't be under any illusion though, it is long, it is Russian, it is hard work, and it is wonderful.
Glad you enjoy it. I have never really grown into the Russian literature. But I see it has its moments. Master and Margarita by Bulgakov only ever peaked my interest. And Strugatskie of course.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 15. Aug 22, 18:59

Well, just had a needle inserted into my back to drain a bunch of horrible brown fluid that's built up next to my lung. Going to take a while to get rid of it all...

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 15. Aug 22, 22:37

Ewww! Mind, I guess you'll feel a hell of a lot more comfortable after it's fully drained.

Is it a side effect of the treatment?
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 16. Aug 22, 07:38

Don't know yet, they took a couple of samples to send to the lab so will probably know more later on. So far we've drained nearly 3l of fluid and looks like there's more to come!

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 16. Aug 22, 08:12

pjknibbs wrote:
Tue, 16. Aug 22, 07:38
Don't know yet, they took a couple of samples to send to the lab so will probably know more later on. So far we've drained nearly 3l of fluid and looks like there's more to come!
Sounds unpleasant and uncomfortable, whatever it is, it's better out than in.
A flower?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 16. Aug 22, 14:49

The main problem is that the tap which turns it on and off is digging into my back and making it quite sore--the actual needle bit itself is fine.

Steel
x4

Post by Steel » Tue, 30. Aug 22, 17:46

Still thinking of you Paul. Best wishes.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 31. Aug 22, 10:48

Well, I finally got to go home yesterday. Been in hospital for around three months so it's about time! Now I just have five million things to sort out here. My twin brother is coming down from Darlington today to lend a helping hand, so will be good to see him.

Steel
x4

Post by Steel » Wed, 31. Aug 22, 11:37

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 31. Aug 22, 10:48
Well, I finally got to go home yesterday. Been in hospital for around three months so it's about time! Now I just have five million things to sort out here. My twin brother is coming down from Darlington today to lend a helping hand, so will be good to see him.
Home! Good.

If you need any help with anything or fancy a F2F chat, just let me know. I can get to you.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 31. Aug 22, 15:55

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 31. Aug 22, 10:48
Delighted to hear you're out!

If your brother is planning on using the A167 out of Darlo towards A1M, tell him to try a different route. - There's roadworks, and they're a nightmare. (Hot off the press!)

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 31. Aug 22, 16:12

He's coming by train and Shank's pony, Gavrushka, so I don't think that'll be a problem, but thanks anyway!

@Steel: You're welcome to come round anytime.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 14. Sep 22, 04:56

Well, discussed the next moves with the doctor yesterday. The plan is to put me on a third type of chemo starting in October--this is not intended as a cure, they're pretty sure there is none at this point, but they're hoping to at least shrink the tumour a bit and improve my quality of life, maybe even add a few months to it. He did say there's a CAR-T like therapy that could be tried but I refused that one, don't want to potentially spend what little time I do have left away with the fairies and unable to remember entire days--the side effects of the CAR-T were horrible.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 14. Sep 22, 07:26

That was a very difficult choice to make, Paul, but fully appreciate why you chose as you have even though I wish it'd been otherwise. There's more I'd say, but I respect it's not my place to do so.

I just hope you fill the days ahead of you in a way that brings you as much joy as can be had.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 14. Sep 22, 23:46

Well, here's a little experiment for the reader--do Paul's CAR-T Side Effect Simulator! This involves getting completely wasted for about three weeks, then get someone to knock you out and move you to a different location so you wake up in a strange room with absolutely no memory of the preceding 48 hours. You can then just stay mildly drunk for another week or two just to cap it off. Barrel of fun, I'm sure you'll agree. :D

Seriously, I already went through that for a treatment with only a one-third chance of success--why would I risk something similar for a treatment with effectively none?

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Thu, 15. Sep 22, 02:53

How is it different? :?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 15. Sep 22, 07:26

The treatment? It uses antibodies directly rather than T-cells. Beyond that I don't know--it's obviously not as effective as CAR-T, because the NHS wouldn't have spent hundreds of thousands on that if this other treatment was better!

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 15. Sep 22, 17:11

Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 14. Sep 22, 07:26

I just hope you fill the days ahead of you in a way that brings you as much joy as can be had.
Gotta echo this statement...

Steel
x4

Post by Steel » Thu, 15. Sep 22, 17:42

Hope the treatment in October reacts positively and you have a net gain. In my thoughts.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 12:12

What is it with Christie and communication? Just came in for what I thought was a regular bloods appointment and was told by the doctor that he'd planned to bring me in for an actual stay--3 days 2 nights. Which I immediately shut down, because not only was I not going in on such short notice, I had no intention of going back in *at all* after having been there for three months! So it's going to be redone as an outpatient thing, which is what I always thought it was supposed to be in the first place. Only problem is I'm now stuck in the waiting room waiting for them to check dates and also order me some co-codamol from the pharmacy to supplement the paracetamol I already have, becausse that's not really cutting it anymore so far as pain relief is concerned.

Return to “Off Topic English”