Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Re: Well, what a deeply unpleasant week this has been.

Post by greypanther » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 22:00

pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 13. Apr 22, 11:41
I am absolutely knackered. Four hospital appointments across three different hospitals in 2 days...not fun at all. I now at least get to rest for a week and a half before i have to do five days of straight radiotherapy appointments at the Oldham branch of Christie.
You are doing really well, better than I would, I suspect. Do you have any support whilst you rest up the next week and a half, or will jobs and responsibility intrude? Either way, hope all goes well for your marathon of therapy. :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 22:30

You know Paul, I really admire your stamina and patience. Reading what you are having to do, it seems to me that you would need to be pretty fit and active just to cope with the various travel and treatment requirements. Keep up the sustained effort and I hope it all pays off well for you.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 14. Apr 22, 08:23

Lovely of you to say, Alan, but "fit" and "active" are definitely not words I'd use to describe myself. "Bloody-minded" and "obstinate" are probably closer to the mark! :D

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 14. Apr 22, 19:34

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 14. Apr 22, 08:23
Lovely of you to say, Alan, but "fit" and "active" are definitely not words I'd use to describe myself. "Bloody-minded" and "obstinate" are probably closer to the mark! :D
In that case, long may you continue to be "obstinate" and "Bloody-minded".
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 14. Apr 22, 19:46

Well, that's unwelcome news...just got a call from the doctor asking me to come in to the hospital tomorrow (which is a Bank Holiday!!!) to get a blood test and pick up some steroids. Apparently the PET scan I had on Tuesday showed I have mild hydronephrosis of my right kidney--e.g. it's slightly swollen, posssibly due to interference from the tumour. The idea of the steroids is to try and reduce the swelling before I have the radiotherapy in a week. I may also need to go in for a follow-up on Monday (also a bank holiday) depending what the results of the blood tests are. So, there goes my hopes of not having anything sharp poked in me for at least a week...

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 14. Apr 22, 20:41

As frustrating and unpleasant as it is on a Good Friday, it does show just how on top of this the doctors are.

And I hope it doesn't interfere too badly with any holiday weekend plans you may have.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 16. Apr 22, 20:19

Well, I was kept in hospital overnight, got home about three hours ago. Definitely have to go back for more blood tests Monday morning and I have an absolute pharmacy of pills to take!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Apr 22, 06:42

Following on from my reply in the Wordle thread today, very little else of beauty has occurred recently. Last week I started getting some nasty flu-like symptoms, which I ignored because I was working on a week the two major members were on holiday.Could have called about it over the weekend but anyone who's been in hospital at the weekend knows little will likely happen. So I called the Christie hotline around 11am yesterday, and that has directly led to where I am now--a bed in the intensive care unit of Tameside General Hospital.Seems I have a lung infection that's causing sepsis. I nearly collapsed then and there when I opened the door to the paramedics, Least I got the ride to A&E under nee-naws (very needed with the 20 week gas works being done all the way up one of the busiest roads in Manchester) and thus also need the normal triage process so kind of jumped the queue.

Oh, and needless to say as it is, this has driven a coal truck through that radiotherapy!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 26. Apr 22, 07:53

You're having one hellish rough ride. I sincerely hope you do recover quickly, and radiotherapy can go ahead. My thoughts are with you.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Tue, 26. Apr 22, 15:24

I do hope that you have a quick recovery from this so you carry on with your treatment.

Are they allowing visitors yet?
A flower?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 26. Apr 22, 18:47

At this particular location, yes...seen at least four sets of visitors to patients in this department.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Tue, 26. Apr 22, 22:58

Silly question I feel sure, but you do have support from family don't you? I dread to think what all this would be like alone and unsupported. Either way, hope you soon recover from this hiccup and soon get back on track.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 2. May 22, 07:37

Well, today marks my week anniversary of being in hospital...yay? Very little chance I'll get home today because God forbid an NHS doctor make a decision on a Bank Holiday...

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 3. May 22, 07:35

Any sign of the parole board showing mercy today?

I take it you feel considerably better than last week if you're hoping to be discharged.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 3. May 22, 14:56

Doctors have spoken to me and they reckon I'm likely going to be here until the weekend while they stabilise the various bits they've found that are wrong.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Tue, 3. May 22, 15:12

Get well, hope they sort all your various bits out.
01001100 01101001 01101110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101001 01101101 01100101 01110011 00101110 00101110 00101110

My art stuff

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 5. May 22, 15:28

Just had my first radiotherapy session of five--second one tomorrow, then the remaining three next week. Feeling very tired.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 5. May 22, 17:28

I'm just delighted you're well enough to go ahead with it.

Will they keep you in until the radiotherapy is completed?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 5. May 22, 18:40

Haven't a clue, the radiotherapy isn't in the same hospital as I'm being treated in so theoretically the two things aren't linked--depends when they discharge me.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 10. May 22, 15:17

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 5. May 22, 15:28
Just had my first radiotherapy session of five--second one tomorrow, then the remaining three next week. Feeling very tired.
Glad to hear they're going ahead, hoping they're going well without issues/significant side effects (I know little about treatments and after effects) - and hoping for positive outcomes.
Guess it's kinda obvious that the sepsis / infection were brought under control, and is the radiotherapy prior to the next treatment option?

Return to “Off Topic English”