W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Post by Terre » Wed, 16. Feb 22, 19:34

Getting a folder to display thumbnail image, is not working.

Folder Properties > Customise > Folder Pictures

Via 'Choose File' I can select a file, and nothing happens.

I've checked the setting in File Explorer > Options > View, Always show icon, never thumbnails, and that is not selected.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 17. Feb 22, 07:09

Never even noticed that option, although I do find it quite funny that the warning above the "Change icon" button on the same dialog says "If you change the icon, it will no longer show a preview of the folder's contents"--which of course doesn't happen in Windows 11 anyway! Just added a test folder and tried the choose file option and you're right, approximately three-fifths of naff all happens.

It looks to me like the Customise dialog is carried over directly from Windows 10 but those customisation options simply don't work due to the changes in the way folder icons work in 11. You can still change the folder icon, that much at least works, but anything that adds a picture on top just flat out does nothing.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 23. Feb 22, 19:36

pjknibbs wrote:
Thu, 17. Feb 22, 07:09
Never even noticed that option, although I do find it quite funny that the warning above the "Change icon" button on the same dialog says "If you change the icon, it will no longer show a preview of the folder's contents"--which of course doesn't happen in Windows 11 anyway! Just added a test folder and tried the choose file option and you're right, approximately three-fifths of naff all happens.

It looks to me like the Customise dialog is carried over directly from Windows 10 but those customisation options simply don't work due to the changes in the way folder icons work in 11. You can still change the folder icon, that much at least works, but anything that adds a picture on top just flat out does nothing.
Thanks for confirming that.

My next problem encountered is with latest released build of Notepad, which I use every day.

If the last line of a file is empty and I place the cursor there, then try to use the mouse to place the cursor in the last line of text, the cursor will remain at the empty bottom line, if I double click a word within that line of text, the whole word is selected, if I then try and place the cursor else where in the that line of text, the cursor will jump back to the empty line below. It appears that the file needs at lest three lines, the first two contain text, the third, empty.

I suspect that description was as clear as mud

Code: Select all

This is a three line test text.
https://panopticlick.eff.org/
With cursor in the bottom empty line, try and place it with the mouse in the word "panopticlick", it should, if my tests are consistent, remain on the bottom, empty, line.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 23. Feb 22, 20:45

Just tested and can't replicate that behaviour in standard Windows Notepad--no matter how many blank lines I leave at the bottom I can click to select the populated lines above. Although, TBH, it wouldn't generally affect me anyway because installing Notepad++ is one of the first things I do on any new Windows machine!

(You're not running the beta of the new version of Notepad, by any chance? It's not installed on my machine:

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insid ... -insiders/ )

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 23. Feb 22, 21:19

Known bug. should be fixed in the next update, so I hear. In the meantime, you can add 1 extra blank line to the bottom of your txt file. It's only the next to bottom line that's busted.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 23. Feb 22, 23:56

Thanks for testing, the build version is 11.2112.32.0, I'll await the fix.

Used to use Notpad++, years ago, I may give another spin.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 16. May 22, 08:14

Next weekend I plan to update from Win10 to Win11:
- is there anything in particular I should pay attention before the update (I already checked the compactibility :P ) ?
- is there any reason why I shouldn't update?
- If I recall correctly, windows will keep Win10 files in case I want to go back, will those be automatically delete after some time, or do I have to delete them manually?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 16. May 22, 08:40

You'll have to delete the old files yourself (just use Disk Cleanup to do it, it's fairly automated).

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 16. May 22, 12:40

or just delete the windows.old folder from the root of C. but when the next semiannual update rolls out for 11, it'll overwrite it when you update to that.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 16. May 22, 15:11

A very niche issue but my licenced Microsoft Office 2007 which worked quite happily in Win10 is having a few starting issues in Win11. Nothing too serious, just a few issues on starting an Office app that wastes a bit of time showing warnings before working OK when you want to do things quickly. It is quite understandable because even Win10 is not supposed to support Office 2007.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 16. May 22, 17:17

I found this to be a little bit funny, not the actual feature, I think that will be annoying, but the fact that the main response to it was, how do I turn it off. The release of win 11 is not going too well, it was recently reported by Microsoft about a month or so ago, that there were more people using XP than win 11. I wonder why. :D
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 16. May 22, 17:33

felter wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 17:17
I found this to be a little bit funny, not the actual feature, I think that will be annoying, but the fact that the main response to it was, how do I turn it off.
What they need to do is make it more friendly. Maybe add a little animated character to go along with the suggestions, perhaps in the form of.... a paper clip. :D

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 18. May 22, 03:13

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 15:11
A very niche issue but my licenced Microsoft Office 2007 which worked quite happily in Win10 is having a few starting issues in Win11. Nothing too serious, just a few issues on starting an Office app that wastes a bit of time showing warnings before working OK when you want to do things quickly. It is quite understandable because even Win10 is not supposed to support Office 2007.
I had that issue too with my Office 2007 on Windows 11. I found a fix for it, but forgot what I did. But, it can be fixed! If I remember what the fix is, I'll let you know.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 18. May 22, 06:05

I only have Outlook 2007, not the rest of the Office suite, and that actually works fine in W10 *and* W11...weird.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Wed, 18. May 22, 07:52

A couple of years ago I retired Office 2007 and chose to pay an annual rental fee for Office 365. Perversely, I had far more issues in the early days, but now I am glad I did. Fee is cheaper than you might think, but I appreciate not everyone is happy with renting.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 20. May 22, 14:39

Two laptops sucessfully updated from Win10 to Win11, one more to go. Everything seems to work fine.

After a brief look, I kinda like, that it has somewhat new GUI, but still give the familiar Win10 feeling.

In Win10 there was meteo and information icon at bottom-right corner that show you the weather and temperature and open the bigger widget when you hover mouse over it. In Win11 I don't see it, but the same meteo/information widget is inside generic and bland "widgets" icon.

Question - is there a way to somehow see meteo like in Win10 (aka weather icon like sun or clouds along with temperature)?

Edit: nevermind, after loading more updates and restart it seem the meteo icon/widget is back, now in bottom left corner :D

Edit2: Damn, on my second laptop the meteo widget doesn't want to change to show meteo icon, nor got to the corner - how can I change it?

Edit3: Well, I had to restart it once more for weather widger to go to bottom-left corner on it's own - Microsoft mysterious ways :P

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 29. May 22, 19:03

Anyone else have an issue that OneDrive folder display keeps changing from Big icons to List View?

How can I make it remember the display setting?

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sun, 29. May 22, 20:50

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 29. May 22, 19:03
Anyone else have an issue that OneDrive folder display keeps changing from Big icons to List View?
When dose it change, after a re-boot?

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 29. May 22, 21:24

Terre wrote:
Sun, 29. May 22, 20:50
mr.WHO wrote:
Yes, after reboot.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Mon, 30. May 22, 07:05

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 29. May 22, 21:24
Terre wrote:
Sun, 29. May 22, 20:50
mr.WHO wrote:
Yes, after reboot.
Yesterday I set my OneDrive folder to large icons, and the setting survived both a re-boot and a re-start.

Return to “Off Topic English”