W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 20. May 22, 14:39

Two laptops sucessfully updated from Win10 to Win11, one more to go. Everything seems to work fine.

After a brief look, I kinda like, that it has somewhat new GUI, but still give the familiar Win10 feeling.

In Win10 there was meteo and information icon at bottom-right corner that show you the weather and temperature and open the bigger widget when you hover mouse over it. In Win11 I don't see it, but the same meteo/information widget is inside generic and bland "widgets" icon.

Question - is there a way to somehow see meteo like in Win10 (aka weather icon like sun or clouds along with temperature)?

Edit: nevermind, after loading more updates and restart it seem the meteo icon/widget is back, now in bottom left corner :D

Edit2: Damn, on my second laptop the meteo widget doesn't want to change to show meteo icon, nor got to the corner - how can I change it?

Edit3: Well, I had to restart it once more for weather widger to go to bottom-left corner on it's own - Microsoft mysterious ways :P

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 29. May 22, 19:03

Anyone else have an issue that OneDrive folder display keeps changing from Big icons to List View?

How can I make it remember the display setting?

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sun, 29. May 22, 20:50

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 29. May 22, 19:03
Anyone else have an issue that OneDrive folder display keeps changing from Big icons to List View?
When dose it change, after a re-boot?
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 29. May 22, 21:24

Terre wrote:
Sun, 29. May 22, 20:50
mr.WHO wrote:
Yes, after reboot.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Mon, 30. May 22, 07:05

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 29. May 22, 21:24
Terre wrote:
Sun, 29. May 22, 20:50
mr.WHO wrote:
Yes, after reboot.
Yesterday I set my OneDrive folder to large icons, and the setting survived both a re-boot and a re-start.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 30. May 22, 10:32

Terre wrote:
Mon, 30. May 22, 07:05
Yesterday I set my OneDrive folder to large icons, and the setting survived both a re-boot and a re-start.
I updated two laptops - on one OneDrive folder remember the icon setting and on the other it doesn't - it kinda driving me nuts :(

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 30. May 22, 11:06

At a pure guess, one of those may be starting using settings from a cached profile file that is not being updated on system shutdown. It may even be as simple as one system using fast system start-up (cached) and the other not.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 10. Jun 22, 11:55

Today I had my first W11 malfunction - somehow with one of the updates, Windows Defender got broken:
- I couldn't access the Defender menu when clicking.
- I couldn't see the security app in my app list, so I couldn't reinstall or reset it.

5 minute google search and 30 second fix later and now everything seems in order (can access Defender, and security app is listed back in my app list):
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... -p/2651248

Had to run the powershell command:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.SecHealthUI -AllUsers | Reset-AppxPackage

I didn't even need to restart.

It's a bit irritating that something got broken in a first place, but ease of fix and quick speed is somehow reassuring - had same experience with Win10 drivers update.
Several times it broke things after the forced microsoft update, but checking with google, or reinstall/reset app usually fix stuff, without much bother.

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Wed, 15. Jun 22, 01:47

I upgraded to Win 11, seems pretty seemless so for lot less pain the Win 7 to 10 was most of my programmes just worked, also had the defender issue mr.WHO mentioed :D
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 15. Jun 22, 05:11

Can't say I've had that Defender issue, but TBH I probably wouldn't notice if I had! It's definitely fine on this laptop, though.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Tue, 21. Jun 22, 21:35

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 17:33
felter wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 17:17
I found this to be a little bit funny, not the actual feature, I think that will be annoying, but the fact that the main response to it was, how do I turn it off.
What they need to do is make it more friendly. Maybe add a little animated character to go along with the suggestions, perhaps in the form of.... a paper clip. :D
Nooo!, please do not necro the demon clippy :)
Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 15:11
A very niche issue but my licenced Microsoft Office 2007 which worked quite happily in Win10 is having a few starting issues in Win11. Nothing too serious, just a few issues on starting an Office app that wastes a bit of time showing warnings before working OK when you want to do things quickly. It is quite understandable because even Win10 is not supposed to support Office 2007.
Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 18. May 22, 03:13
Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 15:11
A very niche issue but my licenced Microsoft Office 2007 which worked quite happily in Win10 is having a few starting issues in Win11. Nothing too serious, just a few issues on starting an Office app that wastes a bit of time showing warnings before working OK when you want to do things quickly. It is quite understandable because even Win10 is not supposed to support Office 2007.
I had that issue too with my Office 2007 on Windows 11. I found a fix for it, but forgot what I did. But, it can be fixed! If I remember what the fix is, I'll let you know.
pjknibbs wrote:
Wed, 18. May 22, 06:05
I only have Outlook 2007, not the rest of the Office suite, and that actually works fine in W10 *and* W11...weird.
Gavrushka wrote:
Wed, 18. May 22, 07:52
A couple of years ago I retired Office 2007 and chose to pay an annual rental fee for Office 365. Perversely, I had far more issues in the early days, but now I am glad I did. Fee is cheaper than you might think, but I appreciate not everyone is happy with renting.
I have one solution to all MS Office problems, dont buy it, use the Open Source LibreOffice instead :)
I have been using it for years, and much prefer it over using MS Office / 365 at work

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/

It used to be known as OpenOffice, and was dependant on also having Java installed for some functions, the fork to LibreOffice was a very good move and now does not need to have Java installed.
I think pretty much anything you want to do in MS Office / 365 can also be done in LibreOffice, and all document formats are supported.

No problems for me with it on Win 11 so far.
The only thing it doesn't have is an MS Teams equivalent app, but MS Teams comes with Win 11 these days.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 21. Jun 22, 22:33

alt3rn1ty wrote:
Tue, 21. Jun 22, 21:35
It used to be known as OpenOffice, and was dependant on also having Java installed for some functions, the fork to LibreOffice was a very good move and now does not need to have Java installed.
I think pretty much anything you want to do in MS Office / 365 can also be done in LibreOffice, and all document formats are supported.
LibreOffice doesn't have any equivalent of Outlook--e.g. an e-mail client that also acts as a PDA and allows shared access to other staff folders. Otherwise, yes, it's very good.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Wed, 22. Jun 22, 10:02

I'm using a combination of Mozilla Thunderbird and Chromium browser for email needs, but I dont think either of those would provide those Outlook features.
I dont think LibreOffice has anything in the works for an Outlook replacement so that is probably a bad ommission ..

.. But isn't Windows 11 Mail really Outlook?, and would it have those features?

Edit : Or at least it may be in the works https://www.windowslatest.com/2022/01/2 ... indows-11/
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Wed, 22. Jun 22, 15:56

not really. 11 mail is not much different from 10 mail. it has ms exchange capability same as outlook and can sync contacts/tasks/calendars/etc as well as mail but it doesn't provide nearly the same user experience as outlook. MS has always provided a free mail client and word pad with Windows but they're not going to position it to compete with their flagship office applications.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 7. Sep 22, 17:48

Recently I had another issue with Windows Defender (probably valid for both Win11 and Win10).

Aparently, out of blue, one day, some old drivers caused my Defender to be unable to trigger Memory Core Isolation.

Had to do some 30 minute search on Google to diagnose and fix the issue.

In case someone has same issue pop-up, here is quick guide how to fix it:
When defender pop-up with warning icon and say it's unable to trigger core isolation, try to trigger it, it will fail and go to the details to see which drivers trigger the problem, it should be like that:
<Driver name>
<version,date>
<oem#.inf> , where # is a ID number on your system (e.g. order of driver instalation, so can differ for each system).

Then identify, what are those drivers and if you can:
- update them - in my case, those were old, no longer used smart card reader drivers...from 2008,which I installed in 2019, but no longer need.
- delete them from WIndows application

For me, the drivers were so old, that they weren't listed in applications, unused, but somehow still noticable by Windows defender.

Therefore I had to dig deeper.

Run commandline/PowerShell as administrator:

type
pnputil /enum-drivers

it will give you the list of drivers currently used by your system.
Try to find the drivers that trigger issue with Defender.
My problematic drivers weren't listed in application list, nor here, so this strongly suggest there were old and redundant.

then type this (remember to have the temp folder created, if you don't have it):
dism /Online /get-drivers /format:table > C:\temp\drivers.txt

it will create a txt file with nice table list of ALL your drivers.
Here, I found the problematic drivers and confirmed their oem#.inf number

Now, finally go back to command line/Powershell and run this (IMPORTANT, be careful and double sure you type the correct driver number, not to delete wrong driver by accident, so if your problematic driver is oem40.inf, type that number)
pnputil /delete-driver oem#.inf

It will delete drivers (+ aparently in case if driver is used, e.g. by some device, it will reject the delete command).

Now you can go back to Windows Defender and trigger core isolation, restart and enjoy again that cheerful green Defender icon.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 13. Oct 22, 11:07

I updated Win11 from 22H1 to 22H2 on my work-related laptop yesterday morning. This took a while as afterwards there were a host of further driver and support app downloads/updates required by Windows Update (ie not optional). All seemed to go well though and all updates reported success.

That afternoon I had a Zoom meeting (which had worked perfectly the day before the update) and when I logged into it my laptop declared: 'Cannot find speakers, cannot find microphone, cannot find camera'. I could see the others on screen but not hear them despite any audio/video on/off settings, and they could not see or hear me; all I could use was typed chat. I had to leave the meeting, reinstall my device drivers and reconfigure all my devices correctly before I could rejoin the meeting halfway through.

Now Windows Update is left showing 2 *identical* updates required to my Realtek sound driver that, according to Windows Update History, have already been successfully installed 12 times yesterday.

There's a lesson somewhere in all that. I did submit some feedback to MicroSoft.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 13. Oct 22, 12:36

I think I've updated all three W11 machines in the house to 22H2 and so far had no issues at all with it.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 13. Oct 22, 15:26

That's kind of my point though. I wasn't told that I had any issues either - until I tried to do stuff that had worked up until then on 22H1.

I still have an issue with Windows Update trying to install multiple copies of a Realtek device driver extension that is: already successfully installed, was not necessary before the update, and doesn't really seem to be needed now either. I can't even tell Update to ignore them even though I don't now click on 'retry' or 'install all' and so avoid the endless repeat cycle.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 13. Oct 22, 16:47

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 13. Oct 22, 15:26
I still have an issue with Windows Update trying to install multiple copies of a Realtek device driver extension that is: already successfully installed, was not necessary before the update, and doesn't really seem to be needed now either. I can't even tell Update to ignore them even though I don't now click on 'retry' or 'install all' and so avoid the endless repeat cycle.
I had similar issues with Realtek device drivers like a month ago - it sucessfully installed it about 10 times in a row across 2-3 days.
Other than this looking odd in update log, there was no side effects and evetually it got away.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 13. Oct 22, 18:53

I just updated my 2 laptops with 22H2.

It went flawless, albeit it was the longest update - circa 70-70 minutes each with 50:50 split between downloading and installing.

So far, except "do not disturb" icon in the corner, I don't see any changes.

Edit:
oh, now when you have images in the folder, you can see minaturesthumbnail of the picture on folder icon - good that they brought it back from older Windows.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Thu, 13. Oct 22, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic English”