W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mr.WHO
x4

Re: W11 HOPEFULL OR ?

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 12:22

I plan to update my ASUS laptop (it's an office rig, not gaming rig) in a few months - given that I haven't heard about Armoury Crate and I don't see on my application list, I assume I should not worry?

Or is is somehow a part of MyASUS app?

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 18:27

I tried a again this afternoon, again it fell in a heap, I declined the ASUS crate thing. No Search, no Microsoft store, the trouble shooter said it needed a MS account, so I created one, rebooted, same result. The firewall still failed to start.

I give up on this, for the time being, I'll buy a M.2 drive, remove the current one with the working OS, buy a new licence key and see if it requires a fresh installation.
Open Rights Group - Is your site being blocked
Electronic Frontier Foundation - Online Censorship
The Linux Foundation - Let’s Encrypt
Check if your Email account has been pwned

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 18:56

fyi, you don't need a license key to install windows desktop OS. the only thing you can't do without activation is personalization things - background, colors, etc.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 19:15

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Thu, 27. Jan 22, 18:56
fyi, you don't need a license key to install windows desktop OS. the only thing you can't do without activation is personalization things - background, colors, etc.
Thank you, I didn't know that.

But do like customising my desktop, having had the same desk top image since the Amiga days, so may get a license any way.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 19:20

i wouldn't buy a license key just to test with =p just sayin, get it working, buy it later if that's what you wanna do.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 21:15

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 27. Jan 22, 11:32
There are several ASUS support threads about Armoury Crate having issues in Win11. Even the people who got it to install from the ASUS app store say that many of its functions either do not work at all in Win11 or may give strange outcomes where they do appear to work. No doubt it will all be sorted eventually but will probably take some time; I recall from these Egosoft Tech Sp forums that ASUS were always a tad slow about driver updates and peripheral support as device hardware and OSs evolved.

For those who don't know, Armoury Crate is ASUS's bespoke system monitor and system/device/peripheral control utility suite.
Ah, thank you. The Asus site offers separate updates for both Win10 and Win11, but a third attempt with the correct update led to the same result. A long delay in the install while looking for devices followed by failure.

I'll check the site periodically, but its absence doesn't seem to affect performance or functionality.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 27. Jan 22, 21:29

armory crate is just bloat ware. all you need is the drivers which most should be baked into 11 by default.
rebellionpac.com

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 06:36

I agree with Vertigo--things like Armoury Crate are the first things I uninstall when I get a new machine. Having said that, if you're set on having it installed, have you tried running it in compatibility mode for Windows 10?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 07:41

I didn't really appreciate what it was, and if it's not adding anything then I'll leave it uninstalled. I wonder why ASUS created it if it's so maligned. I'll check my PC and make sure no remnants remain. -As I remember, it was quite resource hungry.

*edit* Armoury Crate Lite (install date when I bought the PC) was still running, but is now uninstalled. No Zombie Apocalypse ensued, so all is well.

Also uninstalled a few guffy bits of software that seemed to have been packaged with W11. - And it's good to see I can stop Cortana from running at start up, even if I can't uninstall the thing yet. - Can I uninstall Xbox Gamebar? - I uninstalled the related Xbox apps. And Disney+ and Microsoft News and...

Another edit...

Did Edge change (it happened prior to W11 install) so that opening a new tab always takes you to 'Bing'? I am sure it used to be blank in the not-to-distant past.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 09:30

Silly me!

I still intend to get a new M.2 drive for the fresh install, but put a clean installation of W10 on it, and then apply the W11 patch over that, no key change required.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 12:12

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 07:41
Did Edge change (it happened prior to W11 install) so that opening a new tab always takes you to 'Bing'? I am sure it used to be blank in the not-to-distant past.
What shows up when you open a new tab is configurable. By default it's the "New Tab" page, and what you get with that is up to Microsoft unless you customise it, but you can change it to anything you like in the settings.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 15:59

pjknibbs wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 12:12
Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 07:41
What shows up when you open a new tab is configurable. By default it's the "New Tab" page, and what you get with that is up to Microsoft unless you customise it, but you can change it to anything you like in the settings.
I did try that, and 'customise' simply leads me to Microsoft search page with no further options to configure. I don't see any further options in settings to do anything different. Very frustrating!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 16:34

Hmmm, they do seem to have reduced the customisability a bit from what I remember. If you click the Customise option and click the gear icon at top right of the page that appears you can pretty much strip it down so it's *just* the Bing search bar with nothing else (e.g. Quick Links: Off, Background: Off, Content: Off), but there doesn't seem to be an option to have a completely blank new tab page anymore.

However, if you go to "Extensions" there are quite a few that make the new tab page blank, so you could install one of those? Personally, I find it a bit silly that both Edge and Chrome expect you to install extensions to do stuff that really ought to be built in to the browser, like allowing you to switch immediately to a new tab as soon as it opens, but I guess that's why I prefer using Firefox!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Fri, 28. Jan 22, 16:44

Yeah, I've ended up rejecting all Bing cookies, opening the basic Microsoft search as a new tab, then clicking the home button to take it to my preferred page before doing anything. I'll have a look into adding extensions, but I feel what has been done to restrict choice is entirely for Microsoft's own benefit and not the users'.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sat, 29. Jan 22, 22:19

New drive fitted, arrived a day early, thank you Mr. Amazon man.
Windows 10 installed and brought up to date.
Windows 11 applied and brought up to date.
Firefox installed, old bookmarks imported, extentions added, they still need tuning.
It is as of now userble.
Now all I've got to do, is import all of my other cr... vital stuffs.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 30. Jan 22, 07:21

Gavrushka wrote:
Fri, 28. Jan 22, 16:44
I feel what has been done to restrict choice is entirely for Microsoft's own benefit and not the users'.
Maybe, but they haven't yet restricted your choice to use a different browser, so you don't *have* to keep using Edge if it's not to your liking? Chrome, Opera, Firefox, probably more minor ones I don't know about, they're all available for installation.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sun, 30. Jan 22, 08:54

They also restict the chosen pallete of the user.

I want to use '#2E0923' and I get "This colour is not supported".

Some of my problem is that the Windows logo is bright blue, and I need to get something that works between that and my desktop image, other than grey scale.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 30. Jan 22, 13:09

Apparently Windows 10 would do that as well, if it thinks the accent colour you've picked is too light or dark for text to appear properly on it. Which is odd, considering it can display text in either black or white depending on the background.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sun, 30. Jan 22, 19:43

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 30. Jan 22, 13:09
Apparently Windows 10 would do that as well, if it thinks the accent colour you've picked is too light or dark for text to appear properly on it. Which is odd, considering it can display text in either black or white depending on the background.
I'm trying out an app. called TranslucentTB on the taskbar, it certainly helps to stop it looking like a slab.

I've also found that I can open the Win7 control panel, you don't have to scratch hard to remove the Win11 lacquer.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Wed, 2. Feb 22, 19:52

I like to use DoH, and I've noticed that Win11 defaults to unencrypted and that the user has to set it via;

Settings > Network & internet > IP assignment - Edit

Preferred DNS, I currently use (1.1.1.1), then Preferred DNS encryption, set to Encrypted only (DNS over HTTPS)
Alternative DNS, (1.0.0.1), Alternative DNS encryption,set to Encrypted only (DNS over HTTPS)
It can be set to Encrypted Preferred, unencrypted allowed.

Return to “Off Topic English”