Knights of the Old Republic remake announced

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

matthewfarmery
x3

Re: Knights of the Old Republic remake announced

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 09:39

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 12. Sep 21, 02:06
I think modern RPGs have evolved a bit beyond D&D rules these days. I see no reason to return to it just cuz that's what was done 20 years ago. SE did a fantastic job with modernizing the combat system from FF7's turn based stuff. No reason why anyone else can't do something similar. There's tons of RPGs that don't use D&D rules out there to take inspiration from, or even outright mimic. No need to go back to the dark ages.
Pathfinder kingdoms and pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous wants to have a word with you, as pathfinder is a modded turn based ruleset that was modified from the 3E ruleset,
Pathfinder is a rich and complex fantasy RPG that uses the same d20 ruleset at the core of Dungeons & Dragons. Players take on the role of heroic adventurers, often explorers and scholars employed by the Pathfinder Society, who travel the world solving problems, unravelling mysteries and collecting treasure.
The problem is, to use WoTC rulesets, they will want to use people to use the 5E ruleset, that is one reason why when Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 were in development, they choose to use a different ruleset. but still influenced from the older D&D ruleset.

To say that people have moved away from using a turn based ruleset in a RTwP game, its totally off the mark.

So this remake yes, it will have to use another combat system, that is for sure, I just hope it will be decent, but until we see some actual gameplay footage, I guess we have to wait.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 18:01

Pathfinder is a Wizards of the Coast game. Of course they're gonna use D&D rules so they can mimic their tabletop games.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 12. Sep 21, 20:27

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 12. Sep 21, 18:01
Pathfinder is a Wizards of the Coast game. Of course they're gonna use D&D rules so they can mimic their tabletop games.
Wrong,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinde ... aying_Game

While it was modded from the 3.5E rules, pathfinder is maintained by Paizo Publishing, and besides, WoTC is maintaining 5E ruleset, that is the same ruleset that BG3 is using. So pathfinder and the WoTC versions are different, and maintained by two very different groups of people.
Beginning in 2002, Paizo took over publishing Dragon and Dungeon magazines, which were about the Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) role-playing game, under contract to the game's publishers Wizards of the Coast. Wizards of the Coast chose not to renew the contract in early 2007 and Paizo began publishing the Pathfinder periodical line as a replacement.[1] In August 2007, Wizards of the Coast announced the pending release of the 4th edition of D&D, which replaced version 3.5. Many of the staff at Paizo were concerned about the more restrictive Game System License under which the 4th edition was being released.[2]

Instead of continuing to support D&D, Paizo released the stand-alone Pathfinder Roleplaying Game as a modified version of the version 3.5 game, under the Open Game License used by the older version.[3][4] Announced in March 2008, Pathfinder was designed over the course of a year using an open playtest model, where players could try the system and post their feedback on Paizo's website.[5]

Paizo announced a second edition of Pathfinder in 2018. Like the first edition, it made use of an open playtest to refine various mechanics of gameplay.[6]
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 16:37

Ok, so it WAS a Wizard's of the Coast game. Point being it's very much D&D at its core.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 17:58

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Mon, 13. Sep 21, 16:37
Ok, so it WAS a Wizard's of the Coast game. Point being it's very much D&D at its core.
Technically yes and no, But its not maintained by WoTC or created by them, and yes its a D&D game, but my point was, that D&D games (RTwP and turn based) are still very popular. for some to say, that we have moved away from this style of rule system is way off the mark, and I brought up the pathfinder games as recent examples.

But in the past we had

Pillars of eternity 1 and 2 (also customised 3.5 rules based from the 3.5 ruleset from WoTC
pathfinder 1 and 2 heavy modded version of the 3.5 ruleset.
Black Geyser: Couriers of Darkness (on steam and EA access) not sure what ruleset this uses, but its RTwP, granted its still very rough around the edges, but the devs are slowly fixing stuff.

So anyone thinking that D&D based games or D&D inspired rulesets in games are dead, or last century are wrong.

@Vertigo 7
its just that in your post, you implied that WoTC made pathfinder, while in a way they did, in other they had nothing to do with it. and also like I said, WoTC is using its 5E ruleset, and from that I read, not everyone, including those that have played the TT version aren't keen on the changes made. Pathfinder is a valid alternative and is gaining popularity.

Its one reason why BG3 is turn based, as the 5E rules don't work that well in a real time environment, and also WoTC would expect all new games to use their newest ruleset rather then keep to their older generation of rules.

But still D&D is still very popular and their ruleset in games are still very popular to this day. Its just that we don't really see that many of them.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 19:58

Right, we don't see that many of them. Most modern RPGs don't use D&D rules for combat. It'd be wise of Aspyr to use an action based combat system like most modern RPGs do as well.
rebellionpac.com

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 20:06

Indeed, I just hope it has decent party management, if there is party management, and the AI isn't totally braindead. but yeah, having some kind of rule system would be ok, if it was decent, but if they do ditch the rule system for a total arcade game, and without a pause, then battles will be fast and furious and maybe too tricky to control. Of course, they could make it turn based. But I'm not sure that would go down well with many fans.

Again we just have to wait and see.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 20:28

Xenoblade and FF7 remake both stand out to me as recent and great examples to follow. All of the party members use their abilities to maximum effect, even if you're not in direct control of them (or can switch to them on the fly for a boost), but they react to the character you're in direct control, or you can command the other party members to initiate a chain action. Something like that where, like just off the top of my head, one party member stuns a target, a force user lifts then lifts the target into the air and a ranged weapon user follows up with a heavy ranged attack. Similar was doable in both Xenoblade and FF7 remake and all with limited inputs from a game controller.
rebellionpac.com

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Mon, 13. Sep 21, 22:06

matthewfarmery wrote:
Mon, 13. Sep 21, 17:58
Pillars of eternity 1 and 2 (also customised 3.5 rules based from the 3.5 ruleset from WoTC
This isn't true. PoE uses its own rules system which is real time, unlike the turn-based D&D system - each action has a length of time it takes to perform the action and a cooldown, and each character's actions are asynchronous with respect to the others. PoE itself is very inspired by the old D&D games like Baldur's Gate, but the combat rules are quite different in execution precisely to avoid the clunkiness you get from trying to pretend D&D rules aren't turn based, as per KotOR, BG, etc. Something like PoE's system might work pretty well for KotOR.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 14. Sep 21, 12:04

Well googling, POE 1, from answers, is still closer to 3.5, or at least inspired from. But POE 2 uses a completely different ruleset, but slightly closer to E4. So both games do use a different ruleset, But I stand corrected from what I said.

But your right mind, the combat doesn't feel as clunky as the BG series or icewind Dale, I just hated playing as a mage, and the limited spells per rest that you could have. still, your right mind again, that a customised ruleset like POE 1 /2 ruleset might work fine, At least then they won't need to contact WoTC for their blessing to use their ruleset, (which would be forced at 5E for sure.
=

Return to “Off Topic English”