Windows 11 upgrade (TPM Module issues)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Windows 11 upgrade (TPM Module issues)

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 12:46

Under a year ago, I spent a fortune on a new PC, and had planned to upgrade to Windows 11, but a 'PC Health Check' shows it falls short due its lack of TPM 2.0 compatibility. I've since discovered the security module can be bought separately for my ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, so thought it wouldn't be an issue, but...

The socket for the TPM/SPI module is hidden by the RTX 3 series card, which seems ridiculous! I can't move the card to a different expansion socket because I've fans on the PSU tunnel and a USB board just above that. - It's hard to get my head around the idea I'm barred from moving to Windows 11 on a very modern and extremely expensive PC. - Is there any workaround anyone can think of?
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Windows 11 upgrade (TPM Module issues)

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 13:03

Is TPM module really required?
I read somewhere that it wasn't yet decided, but it was technically possible to install W11 without it.

I also read that many modern equipment have TMP module, built in, but switched off and you need to manually switch it on in BIOS.

Given how new your equipment is, maybe it's the same for you?

BTW check this topic for more details:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=440365

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 13:36

All Intel and AMD CPUs do have TPM 2.0 built into the processor for the last 7 years, or more. The setting you'll want to enable is going to be labeled PTT (Platform Trust Technology) on Intel motherboards, or fTPM (Firmware Trusted Platform Module) on AMD motherboards. You'll have to dig through the menus or look in your manufacturer's documentation to locate it. Seems to vary in location between different models and manufacturers.

edit:

found a hand holding video for your motherboard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zg7Ju_9Ee0
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 30. Sep 21, 14:09

Aww that's great then, thank you. - Thing is, I only read the MoBo literature where it states the TPM module for it must be purchased separately, and hadn't considered the CPU would already be equipped with it. - Thanks for the links, and I'll make the changes when I get back in this evening.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 5. Oct 21, 15:56

I'm currently in the process of making minor upgrades to my PC, meaning installing a SSD, formatting and moving from windows 7 to windows 10 for directX 12.

I did consider windows 11, but since my motherboard is too old I have no built-in TPM modules, and no port to add a TPM chip (I know some motherboard have such port, but mine is too old for that.)

So I guess I'll go to win 10, provided I can get a key for a reasonable prince. Microsoft still sell this at Microsoft prices. I hope they will drop with the arrival of win 11. :sceptic:
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Tue, 5. Oct 21, 16:23

You should still be able to activate Windows 10 with a Windows 7 key - Microsoft have never turned the free upgrade path off.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 5. Oct 21, 16:28

red assassin wrote:
Tue, 5. Oct 21, 16:23
You should still be able to activate Windows 10 with a Windows 7 key - Microsoft have never turned the free upgrade path off.
Seriously? They claim otherwise on their website.

I guess it's worth trying.

Is it really as simple as entering the win 7 key for the win 10 activation, or do I have to use my win 7 key to get a win 10 key somewhere?

Edit: I just found the procedure in a recent article. Thanks for the pointer that this was still available.

If anyone's in the same situation as me, here's the link to that article.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/services-and- ... heres-how/
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Elvenstyle
x4

Post by Elvenstyle » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 15:00

And what I need to do?
I noticed this myself 2 weeks ago with shock.

Stay with Windows 10 or buy something new and take Windows 11? TPM 2.0 has been running on my mainboard since the beginning.

I built a PC between 2017 and 2019.

I thought it would last forever until 2030 (as long as I'm satisfied) and now I'm sitting there?

The memory and the CPU alone cost me € 3,400 at the end of 2018.

And now everything is "old"?

I still have my old shopping list. Maybe you can me
help with the PC that I have?
https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-1216056

I'm actually totally satisfied, even my "old" graphics cards (.. .. !! ??? SLI 2x 11GB graphics memory) tear everything that is currently available (FS 2020, modded Skyrim, Cod WWII, Forza Motorsport 7 and so on Further).

X4 runs smoothly with mega factories, all settings are high with SSAx4, only Glow is off.

My CPU is "old" and still beats more than half of the CPUs that are shown as a minimum in the Microsoft list?
I'm talking about the I-8 generation ... I have an I-6.

I have a second PC on which I still do everything mirrored today and which runs with Windows 10 without any problems.
(https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-1448487)

I heard that Microsoft is now doing this with Windows 11 so that "salespeople" don't pack a low-end I-3 / I-4 and write Windows 11 on the case. This saves Microsoft problems with support.
(And in the old PC I have an X-5492 ... I don't understand)

I do not get it.
I have to be careful not to get totally mad :-(

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 15:09

@ Elvenstyle: What does the Microsoft Win11 Suitability app say the actual problems are with your system? At least TPM (or PTT as Intel may call it) should not be on the list of problems if you are already running it.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 18:27

Elvenstyle wrote:
Wed, 10. Nov 21, 15:00
And what I need to do?
I noticed this myself 2 weeks ago with shock.

Stay with Windows 10 or buy something new and take Windows 11? TPM 2.0 has been running on my mainboard since the beginning.
So what's the actual thing that it says you don't meet? If your motherboard supports TPM 2.0
Guessing you've followed MS advice? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 6b0c90645c

Must admit mine was AMD board/cpu combo, it was new(ish) - AMD Tomahawk 450B or something. Anyway, I *think* when I was trying to do this for work months ago I had to change my bios from "CSM" to "UEFI" to be able to start enabling any TPM 2 settings; worth checking (i've no idea about your motherboard whatsoever) if there's similar changes necessary to get to it and/or any update etc? Grasping at straws, this area is not my forte! :)

Elvenstyle
x4

Post by Elvenstyle » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 20:00

yeah, ivé checked the Link from above. What i see, its... make me crying just in the moment.

I have an non supported I-6 CPU, but this CPU beats more of the half from the Microsoft I-8 List, which is called as a minimum.....

Im crying..

sorry for my bad English. I Will continue this Proplem in a German Topic

viewtopic.php?f=183&t=442941&p=5087494& ... 1#p5087494

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 10. Nov 21, 20:51

But if the motherboard supports TPM 2, then all is not lost as you *could* upgrade the CPU alone (and if selling the old one, may not be hugely expensive); however, usually sockets change over time, so upgrading CPU may solve an issue but still require updating in the future if a component fails.

Important to remember - they'll support Windows 10 for another 4 years (with updates for security etc), so you're not obsolete yet. Just no Windows 11. I would assume you could upgrade in 4 years time? Certainly there's plenty of time to dwell on it all, there's no rush to upgrade.

So unless there's a strong reason for Windows 11 upgrade, are you disadvantaged enough to fork out for a new CPU (assuming motherboard supports it).

Return to “Off Topic English”