Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by felter » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 18:46

It's not just Putin, it's also Maria Lvova-Belova who is supposed to be his children's commissioner, to show how much of an idiot she is, she made a statement saying:
"It's great that the international community has appreciated this work to help the children of our country. That we don't leave them in war zones, that we take them out, that we create good conditions for them, that we surround them with loving, caring people."
In other words, she directly admitted to committing the crimes she is being accused of.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 19:47

Given the status quo of the rich and powerful avoiding justice, you'll excuse me if I don't hold my breath waiting for Daddy Vlad to see the inside of a jail cell.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 19:49

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 19:47
Given the status quo of the rich and powerful avoiding justice, you'll excuse me if I don't hold my breath waiting for Daddy Vlad to see the inside of a jail cell.
100% agree - I view this as merely a symbolic gesture.

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 20:25

Warenwolf wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 19:49
Vertigo 7 wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 19:47
100% agree - I view this as merely a symbolic gesture.
At least DenHaag has dared.
With Tony Blair and George Bush, they had no balls in their pants.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 21:31

It is not symbolic. Putin - as every other head of state - is protected by immunity when travelling anywhere by international law. This cancels his immunity in most countries of the world and makes it legal to capture him like every other person for the rest of his life.

Now I assume he does not attend in much business outside of his bunker in Russia, so practically speaking, it has no effect in capturing him (at the moment - that might suddenly change with a regime change). In any case the side-effects and the message are very real.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 14:51

I think it's important as well, it cements the idea that international community will not forget it.

Putin will laugh it off or yell in private, but you gotta remember he wanted to be famous, known and respected by the other countries. That's no longer gonna happen.

I think many Russians are under assumption that after the war ends, with their victory, both things miraculous, then sanctions will be lifted, everything will become good again. I think on some level Putin thinks that too. This whole war was supposed to be weeks long only, a simple walk to Kiev.

Also, as one commentator pointed out (one that you folks suggested, Vlad guy), this also repeats that low level pawns are not out of scope either of these courts.

So he's unlikely to get arrested now, but he is unlikely to attempt testing it and traveling ever again. As you guys said
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 17:25

Even if he does test it, it'll be a helluva thing to watch his security detail gun down any local police that attempt to touch him. You can't say a megalomaniac that's fine with murdering children en masse is going to be afraid to go where he wants.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 17:56

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 18. Mar 23, 17:25
Even if he does test it, it'll be a helluva thing to watch his security detail gun down any local police that attempt to touch him. You can't say a megalomaniac that's fine with murdering children en masse is going to be afraid to go where he wants.
Murder isn't a problem, but he's a coward.
He holds meetings half a room away, no one knows where he is physically.

I don't see him testing this at all

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 18:08

I think there is a deeper meaning to this.

It's another thing to move us towards just peace agreement.
There were some articles and rumors that many western countries are tired and push Ukraine for negotiations.

Now with this ruling Ukraine can say they won't negotiate with criminals and there won't be peace untill those tens of thousand children are not brought back to Ukraine - if this is not something worth fighting for, then nothing is.
Anyone pushing for peace without it would be basically supporting child trafficing.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 18:18

If nothing at all it is a nice "you are not welcome card" which can be played. Even if peace is forced upon the conflict - which I don't see happening. There is too much bad blood. I'd say it's a year too early for that. First there will be a major clash and a lot more dead.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 19:01

The war has many possible turns ahead.

A phrase I heard from people more clever than I: when it'll be over, the worst will be behind for Ukraine, but it'll be ahead for Russia.

At some point Russia will either need to double down on fascism or tear it down. Both choices will be painful.
mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 18. Mar 23, 18:08
I think there is a deeper meaning to this.

It's another thing to move us towards just peace agreement.
There were some articles and rumors that many western countries are tired and push Ukraine for negotiations.

Now with this ruling Ukraine can say they won't negotiate with criminals and there won't be peace untill those tens of thousand children are not brought back to Ukraine - if this is not something worth fighting for, then nothing is.
Anyone pushing for peace without it would be basically supporting child trafficing.
I didn't consider this. Interesting

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 19:09

Something else that hasn't been mentioned or at least I've not seen it, is that at some point some world leader is going to go "sorry, but we can't do business with you while you are being ruled by a war criminal, who has a warrant out for his arrest for kidnapping children." And that will infuriate him and those around him.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 19:24

felter wrote:
Sat, 18. Mar 23, 19:09
Something else that hasn't been mentioned or at least I've not seen it, is that at some point some world leader is going to go "sorry, but we can't do business with you while you are being ruled by a war criminal, who has a warrant out for his arrest for kidnapping children." And that will infuriate him and those around him.
Yeah, I wished the world worked like that. South-American dictators had no problems finding business partners despite both in Chile and Argentina, it was well known that children of the regime's political enemies were stolen sometimes.
Not to mention that leaders like Xi, Modi, Orban, Marcos Jr and their ilk could care less whether Putin is war criminal or not.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 19:33

Yeah, but somebody will.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 20. Mar 23, 12:57

So Round number 2 of Poland delivering arms needing a German go ahead.

This time it is about fighter jets. Poland says it wants to deliver 4 MIG-29 to Ukraine. Those were originally given to Poland by Germany under the restriction that Germany would have to ok any further transfer.

Germany says Poland has not informed them about their plans and also not officially made any requests for the transfer of the planes.

Edit: Information is a bit fuzzy, apparently Poland wants to hand over more than 4 jets, but only 4 of them need a German go-ahead?
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 20. Mar 23, 13:06

clakclak wrote:
Mon, 20. Mar 23, 12:57
Edit: Information is a bit fuzzy, apparently Poland wants to hand over more than 4 jets, but only 4 of them need a German go-ahead?
This because Poland have a mix-up of Polish, ex-German and ex-Czech Mig-29s and nobody tells which one are which.
It could be that ex-German ones have been sent in spare parts last year and only Polish and ex-Czech are standing in one piece.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 09:55

Aparently Marders from Germany are now being shipped to Ukraine.

Seems like there is a good and steady build-up of equipment for counter-offensive.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 18:04

Yet another escalation - apparently UK ponders about providing Ukraine with depleted uranium rounds.

@source: theguardian https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... 1cb7e9aa62

Not sure if I'd use that in my very own country... :gruebel: Best not to use them at all... :(

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 18:49

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 21. Mar 23, 18:04
Yet another escalation - apparently UK ponders about providing Ukraine with depleted uranium rounds.

@source: theguardian https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... 1cb7e9aa62

Not sure if I'd use that in my very own country... :gruebel: Best not to use them at all... :(
They work great though for penetrating tank armor.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 18:50

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 21. Mar 23, 18:04
Where is the "Trust the science" when you need it?
Depleted uranium suppose to be safe and there will be much more radiation/cancerogenus/toxicity from the burning wreck of any destroyed military vechicle than from whatever remain from deleted uranium impactor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium

You might be using or be near depleted uranium far more often than you realize:
"Civilian uses include counterweights in aircraft, radiation shielding in medical radiation therapy and industrial radiography equipment, and containers for transporting radioactive materials. Military uses include armor plating and armor-piercing projectiles. "

- According to an article in Al Jazeera, DU from American artillery is suspected to be one of the major causes of an increase in the general mortality rate in Iraq since 1991.
- A 2005 epidemiology review concluded: "In aggregate the human epidemiological evidence is consistent with increased risk of birth defects in offspring of persons exposed to DU.
- A 2021 study concluded that DU from exploding munitions did not lead to Gulf War illness in American veterans deployed in the Gulf War.
- According to 2013 study, despite the use of DU by coalition forces in Fallujah, no DU has been found in soil samples taken from the city, although another study of 2011 had indicated elevated levels of uranium in tissues of the city inhabitants.

Common sence conclusion:
The war is not exactly the cleanest and safest event - there is a lot of stuff burning and exploding, so if studies on DU cases are inconclusive, it's safe to assume major things blowing up (ammo dums, factories, building) will probably affect you healt far more than DU ever could.

Still, US and UK use DU as a cheap and accessible waste product from all their nuclear weapons and plants - for non-nuclear countries it's far cheaper and easier to use tungsten as an alternative.

Return to “Off Topic English”