Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by Tamina » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 13:09

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 18. Jul 22, 22:16
The problem is that Putin is a thug, that is encouraged by the sign of weakness.
It's a game of chiken, a stare up contest - and Germany was doing nothing but blinking.

Now that Putin see he has Germany on a leash, he will not let it go.

Out of proud EU German-Franco leadership, we'll end up with DDR 2.0 along Vichy 2.0, which will make you look even more stupid, since you didn't got the point of reference at 1.0.
The party that is responsible for the current energy-crisis situation in Germany, is not in charge anymore. The new gov (beginning 2022) is in the bad situation that they have to govern a state that was mismanaged by the previous government. Like, they shut down all nuclear power plants but kind of "forgot" to build alternative energy sources beforehand. 🤷‍♀️ Which was pretty typical for the party, but the elderly people just kept voting the conservatives. Maybe thanks to Greta, somehow, we got a new gov.
Anyway, I can't really blame them completely. Nobody can predict the future and the German gov was always trying to somehow partnership with Russia, rather then excluding them and making things worse. We thought that the middle east was worse than Russia, so while Poland made deals with questionable countries there, we made deals with questionable Russia.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 14:07

Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Tue, 19. Jul 22, 00:34
So, I repeat: NATO must start negotiating while there is still something left worth negotiating about. We are not able to ruin Russia as Sleepy Joe wants.
Every few pages I remind what are the terms of that negotiation that Kremlin is seeking. No one yet told me I am way of.

So why do we keep mentioning the idea of the negotiations?
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 15:36

Looks like France finally decided to stop playing nice with Putin and crank up the weapons delivivery with VABs and AMX-10.

There are also rumors that polish 200 PT-91 are either already being sent or soon to be sent as well.

Oh, and there are some analysis that mention all NATO ex-soviet gunships and helicopters (circa 240 heli) rely on Ukraine as a sole non-Russia aligned supplier of spare part - so these will be very problematic to maintain long term - it might be they'll go to Ukraine as well (I think Czechia and Slovakya already donated some).

Seem like there is more and more equimpment being sent that will be useful in counter-offensive.
However, now is the question if Ukraine will launch it in August as they annouced, or decide to wait longer for more equipment?

IMO Ukraine will have only one shot for counteroffensive, so the issue of launching too soon is also a major problem.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Tue, 19. Jul 22, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 17:55

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 19. Jul 22, 15:36
There are also rumors that polish 200 PT-91 are either already being sent or soon to be sent as well.
Based on my vast military experience from playing Wargame Red Dragon, the PT-91 is a very powerful tank. Hopefully the rumors of the transfer are true!

AMX-10, not so much. You wouldn't use these in heavy tank on tank battles, more for infantry support.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 18:19

fiksal wrote:
Tue, 19. Jul 22, 14:07
Cpt.Jericho wrote:
So, I repeat: NATO must start negotiating while there is still something left worth negotiating about. We are not able to ruin Russia as Sleepy Joe wants.
Every few pages I remind what are the terms of that negotiation that Kremlin is seeking. No one yet told me I am way of.

Notice it's only the stupid and ill-informed that do so. They don't understand that Ukrainians are fighting for their freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression or persecution, but from annihilation. They're fighting for their right to live, to exist.

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 18:52

Russia has already committed too many atrocities in Ukraine, I doubt that the Ukrainians are in the mood for negotiations. It seems that the Ukrainians are not going to surrender which means that the war will end when Russia withdraws from Ukraine, just like the Soviets had to withdraw from Afghanistan.

The Soviet Union was more powerful back then than Russia is today (AFAIK the Soviets could properly equip their troops) so that gives me hope for Ukraine defeating the invaders.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 19:11

Sovereign01 wrote:
Tue, 19. Jul 22, 18:19
fiksal wrote:
Cpt.Jericho wrote:

Notice it's only the stupid and ill-informed that do so. They don't understand that Ukrainians are fighting for their freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression or persecution, but from annihilation. They're fighting for their right to live, to exist.
wouldnt it be easier to throw some nuklear weapons over to ukraine instead of putting 200K soliders at risk ??

EITHER you are implicitly suggesting that putin is a f'n crazy masochist who hates russian soliders as much as (presumibly) ukrainians ..
OR you dont know what you are talking about and putler is a smartass, step by step taking control of ukrainian resources (like "personell", he already took the ukrainian babies)

... he's bleeding them ukrainians dry .. just wait for the next winter and see for youself :roll:

just a suggestion:
do a statistic, show the amount of dollar bills entering ukraine each month ... you'll see soon a decline (i guess)
why? .. with these inflation rates we are currently seeing, and interest rates, and wage levels standing still, a recession is about to come
we cant finance ukraine's state forever ...at some point, we wont be willing (or able) to throw away money for "nothing"
ukrainians need about 7 billion a month ... thats about 85 billion a year (to finance the government)
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 19:53

JSDD wrote:
Tue, 19. Jul 22, 19:11
just a suggestion:
do a statistic, show the amount of dollar bills entering ukraine each month ... you'll see soon a decline (i guess)
why? .. with these inflation rates we are currently seeing, and interest rates, and wage levels standing still, a recession is about to come
we cant finance ukraine's state forever ...at some point, we wont be willing (or able) to throw away money for "nothing"
ukrainians need about 7 billion a month ... thats about 85 billion a year (to finance the government)
Russian resources and ability to wage war are not unlimited. Given enough time and support from western nations to Ukraine, Russia will simply become exhausted and unable to stay in Ukraine.

I consider the money used to purchase and send weapons to Ukraine one of the very best uses of money there is right now, I do not consider that it is being thrown away for "nothing". When the invasion has ended and Russia is driven out, Ukraine will be able to become a free and prosperous nation, like Germany did after WWII, while Russia, unless they depose their current government, will decline into nothing more than a larger version of North Korea.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 20:00

If all the countries could just auction all those confiscated oligarch assets, I'm quite sure Ukraine could be financially funded for next few years with little to none expense to Western taxpayer.

The price of Luxury Yachts and Mansions might plummet a bit, but oh well :)

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 21:13

JSDD wrote:
Tue, 19. Jul 22, 19:11
Sovereign01 wrote:
Tue, 19. Jul 22, 18:19
fiksal wrote:

wouldnt it be easier to throw some nuklear weapons over to ukraine instead of putting 200K soliders at risk ??

EITHER you are implicitly suggesting that putin is a f'n crazy masochist who hates russian soliders as much as (presumibly) ukrainians ..
OR you dont know what you are talking about and putler is a smartass, step by step taking control of ukrainian resources (like "personell", he already took the ukrainian babies)

... he's bleeding them ukrainians dry .. just wait for the next winter and see for youself :roll:

just a suggestion:
Tell me, how much baling twine did you use to make that massive strawman?

It's not going to be Ukraine that gets bled dry, that's for damn sure. Russia is haemorrhaging resources and troops, with Western support Ukraine can and will outlast Russia as the war goes on.
Last edited by Sovereign01 on Wed, 20. Jul 22, 04:07, edited 1 time in total.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 19. Jul 22, 21:18

Seem like Antonivsky bridge near Kherson got hit by missile strike - it might indicate Ukraine will soon make a move to retake the city - taking out that bridge, would extend Russian logistic lines to Kherson by good 60-100 km.

Oh, BTW the ongoing purge in SBU might also indicate Ukraine want to tighten intelligence security before the offensive.

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 01:04

A comment I read today:

"Ukraine will emerge from this war as a 21st century digital democracy, Russia will emerge from it a burning gas station."
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 15:38

Russian parliment accused Ukraine of mass usage of mutant soldiers :o

When black magic and secret bio-labs doesn't stick :P

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 15:52

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 20. Jul 22, 15:38
Russian parliment accused Ukraine of mass usage of mutant soldiers :o

When black magic and secret bio-labs doesn't stick :P
Which is ironic given it's the Russian soldiers that decided to go play in the Red Forest. If anyone has to worry about mutant soldiers in their ranks, it's them.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 16:21

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 19. Jul 22, 21:18
Seem like Antonivsky bridge near Kherson got hit by missile strike - it might indicate Ukraine will soon make a move to retake the city - taking out that bridge, would extend Russian logistic lines to Kherson by good 60-100 km.
They hit it again with more missiles. HIMARS are extremely accurate, but I wonder if they lack a little bit of the explosive power necessary to properly take down the bridge. Still, if you can get enough of them to land on the bridge, perhaps the bridge can be weakened enough so that heavy traffic cannot use it. Or the strikes could target critical points of the bridge.

Russians may say that they could simply set up pontoon bridges, but those would also be subject to HIMARS attack as soon as they are located.

With time, Russians may be able to intercept some HIMARS rockets using $1,000,000 SAMs to hit the $100,000 HIMARS rockets, in which case Ukraine could use cheaper grad rockets in combination with HIMARS in order to confuse and overwhelm the air defenses.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 17:13

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 20. Jul 22, 16:21
Russians may say that they could simply set up pontoon bridges, but those would also be subject to HIMARS attack as soon as they are located.
I think Russians and pontoon bridges don't go along since May or June :D

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 17:26

mr.WHO wrote:
Oh, BTW the ongoing purge in SBU might also indicate Ukraine want to tighten intelligence security before the offensive.
I have bit more cynical view on that.

Ivan Bakanov had no qualifications for being responsible for intelligence security (in the role he had) except being Zelenskyj's childhood friend and partner in the TV entertainment company they both started together. Both of them were partners regarding setting up and running offshore companies in a places with great respect for privacy and not too many questions regarding where money comes from (source: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/o ... -zelenskiy).
I want to point out that this guy was assigned to his position while there was war in the east. While the Russian intel effort in his country was gearing up... No comment necessary :roll: .

Iryna Venediktova, also appointed by current president, was in charge of anti-corruption work (this in a a country which is most corrupt in Europe) before being moved to, by presidential order, to prosecutions of war crimes. Unlike the guy above she is actually lawyer with some heft. And unless legal institutions in Ukraine are very differently organized than in the rest of the world, she has 0 influence or overview of military matters.

So color me skeptical, as they say.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 20:41

Apparently, the department was full of Russian collaborators.
Link.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 22:08

notaterran wrote:
Wed, 20. Jul 22, 01:04
"Ukraine will emerge from this war as a 21st century digital democracy, Russia will emerge from it a burning gas station."
whatta heck are you dreaming?
no matter what stuff/pills you just took ... you gotta give me some of those :mrgreen:

ukraine is one of the most corrupt countries on earth, it even was before the war ... you think war is making that situation better ?? :roll:

the difference here between russia and ukraine is:
-- russia has vast amount of natural resources
-- russia is much bigger than ukraine

hence, russia is more prosperous and will always have it easier in terms of wealth of the people ...
corruption is savaging both countries, but still russia is able to even support the people a little bit ... ukraine is just broke

mr.WHO wrote:

ukraine might have a good chance to retake the cherson area if they are able to destroy that bridge AND if they concentrate their forces to that area
(which ukraine isnt doing ..)

the area across the dniepro river (east side) is very hard to defend .. and as time goes on, russia will become stronger there and ukraine weaker
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Wed, 20. Jul 22, 23:54

Cpt.Jericho wrote:
Erm, what? What are NATO going to negotiate about? They're not involved, they're not defending their own territory, and they have zero say in Ukraine's sovereinty.

See my earlier post about absolutely baffling incoherent statements by people.

I imagine America is loving the "lease" of weapons (i.e. these aren't free, its saddling Ukraine with debt) and maybe if they stopped doing so Ukraine would eventually negotiate. Maybe.

But NATO has zero say in Ukraine's decisions. I support wholeheartedly helping Ukraine. All, frankly, mental comments that determine Ukraine is not a party in the Russia vs NATO is insane. Crimea made zero mention of NATO and statistical analysis of Russian sites/news/government indicate the rhetoric over NATO and Ukraine exploded weeks before the invasion, but was silent for the 8 years prior.

Why is that?

Oh, that's why, smoke screen. Jesus. Example as to why this thread is, frankly, a joke. At least I know that I know sod all about this.

Return to “Off Topic English”