Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sovereign01
x4

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by Sovereign01 » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 19:48

Russia and Ukraine sign UN-backed deal to resume grain exports via the Black Sea. Russia immediately bombed Odessa's docks. And then tried to weasel out of blame.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 23:09

Confirmed that Polish PT-91 is now in Ukraine. Do we know whether it is the whole inventory of 232 PT-91, or just some of them?

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 23:37

again, less gas for europe, north stream 1 just at 20% workload ...
3 "gepard" anti-air tanks arrived in kiyv
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 08:25

Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 25. Jul 22, 23:09
Confirmed that Polish PT-91 is now in Ukraine. Do we know whether it is the whole inventory of 232 PT-91, or just some of them?
Most of analyst say it's circa 40 (ukrainia batalion + some reserve for replacement) - the rest of polish PT-91 will be sent once Americans deliver Abrams and South Korea will deliver K2 later this year.
Sending more right now will put too big dent in polish defense, as Poland is flat like table, ideal for tank warfare. Javelin-the-sh*t-out if more difficult here.
This will change only, when we will complete the order for more BVR stuff, like Brimstones, HIMARS and f*cktonnes of strike drones (we have a program to turn drone squadrons into dedicated flying artillery units).

For Ukraine, PT-91 is not a game changer, but useful in training and preparation before remaining 200 will be delivered (which will be the significant force).
Another fun fact is that Polish PT-91 were missing more advance ammunition, to penetrate the latest russian tanks and Ukraine happend to have plenty of such ammunition that fits PT-91.

Last, but not least:
Imagine telling some polish dude in tank factory in 80s, that the tank he build will be fighting ruskies in Eastern Ukraine in 2020s :)

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 16:09

mr.WHO wrote:
Tue, 26. Jul 22, 08:25
Last, but not least:
Imagine telling some polish dude in tank factory in 80s, that the tank he build will be fighting ruskies in Eastern Ukraine in 2020s :)
The world is indeed a crazy place!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 12:48

There was interesting footage today of Ukraine hitting the bridge near Cherson with dozen or two missiles from HIMARS.

However, it seem that HIMARS warheads are too small, so it's sub-par anti-bridge weapon.
Aparently the only sure way to pernamently take out big bridge are those half-tonne air bombs to the pillar.

This kinda makes the threads to take out Crimea bridge a complete bluff, as you would need a big number of HIMARS missile to to real dammage, while the same amount of missiles could have much more effect on ammo dumps and command centers.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 18:11

As long as they can prevent tanks, APCs and supply trucks from crossing into Kherson by damaging the roadway enough, it will be of benefit. The ATACMs have a larger warhead, and would be more effective at damaging or disabling the Antonovsky bridge, but they have to use the tools at their disposal.

Won't stop reinforcements or retreat by foot. If Ukraine gets close enough though, conventional artillery against the bridge could make crossing it a nightmare for Russia.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sat, 6. Aug 22, 09:39

Sanctions must really be hitting Russia, even their propaganda is getting worse.

That being said I find it impressive how they manage to fit in the symbols for those that may actually still support them. While this video targets Spain, it manages to show enough of Russia's communist past to give certain parts of the european far left that side with Russia to begin with a boner (looking at you, parts of Germany's Die Linke) and then hammers home points about alleged 'cancel-culture' and non-traditional family values to attract people from the right/far-right. It also seems as if pedophiles are one of their target audiences, watch closely how it shows to young children running across a meadow while the voice-over says "beautiful woman".
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sat, 6. Aug 22, 13:22

clakclak wrote:
Sat, 6. Aug 22, 09:39
Sanctions must really be hitting Russia, even their propaganda is getting worse.

That being said I find it impressive how they manage to fit in the symbols for those that may actually still support them. While this video targets Spain, it manages to show enough of Russia's communist past to give certain parts of the european far left that side with Russia to begin with a boner (looking at you, parts of Germany's Die Linke) and then hammers home points about alleged 'cancel-culture' and non-traditional family values to attract people from the right/far-right. It also seems as if pedophiles are one of their target audiences, watch closely how it shows to young children running across a meadow while the voice-over says "beautiful woman".
I think that this was not aimed towards the Spain even if it was initially released there, but more generally towards the very groups you identified. The pedo angle does not jive with me - bad editing is more likely explanation imho.

In other news Zelenskyy have managed to come in conflict with Amnesty International
https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/ ... civilians/

My comment on the news above - pro-Putin crowd will jump on this as evidence of evil Ukrainians. And Ukrainians handled this in worst possible manner.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 6. Aug 22, 13:56

Warenwolf wrote:
Sat, 6. Aug 22, 13:22
In other news Zelenskyy have managed to come in conflict with Amnesty International
AI is really f*cking wrong on this one. By the same AI metric in WW2 Polish Resistance at Warsaw Uprising would be in wrong and wehrmacht would be clean. Same with French restance or any other WW2 resistance.
If one side, from the very begining disregards any rules of war and indiscriminately target civilians, then there is no choice for the other side to react and change tactics accordingly.
There is no choice, either you play nice, lose and endanger civilians even more, or fight dirty and endanger civilians anyway.

Do i need to reming that Russian casually fight and use Nuclear Plants as shields?
Isn't this a danger to civilians in like half of f*cking world, if not entire world?

AI is really dumb on this one.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Sat, 6. Aug 22, 14:37

I don't know, AI's point is pretty clear to me: Don't fire artillery from within cities. The other side is going to retaliate based on where the artillery fire originated from and not if there is a city or not.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sat, 6. Aug 22, 18:04

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 6. Aug 22, 13:56
Warenwolf wrote:
AI is really f*cking wrong on this one. By the same AI metric in WW2 Polish Resistance at Warsaw Uprising would be in wrong and wehrmacht would be clean. Same with French restance or any other WW2 resistance.
If one side, from the very begining disregards any rules of war and indiscriminately target civilians, then there is no choice for the other side to react and change tactics accordingly.
There is no choice, either you play nice, lose and endanger civilians even more, or fight dirty and endanger civilians anyway.

Do i need to reming that Russian casually fight and use Nuclear Plants as shields?
Isn't this a danger to civilians in like half of f*cking world, if not entire world?

AI is really dumb on this one.

Eh...Nope?

Russian behavior, which even the document I linked to stipulates in its first few sentences, is in no way justified. That being said - how is using hospitals as military bases diminishing Russian ability and will to kill civilians is very hard to see. So I don't see where you are going with the "fight dirty" .

The document is very clear on that it is commenting on situations where the Ukrainians are not close to the frontlines so your example with Warsaw uprising is non-relevant.
The example with resistance is also not relevant - and you would be surprised to learn that your rights as uninformed resistance fighter in a country that has formally capitulated are much more narrower than those of proper armed forces. But that is not current situation in Ukraine so again I fail to see where you are going with this...

If you position your forces in residential area or property, nowhere near the front line* AND then don't do evacuation of said citizens, start shelling the enemy - don't go in media and complain about the dead civilian bodies piling up when counter fire starts up.

So what you see as an attack on the side you are cheering on, I see as ineptness of Ukrainians ministry of defense to communicate and inability* or unwillingness to deal with the civilian defense part of the war.

*which may be situational, local, organizational, caused by unclear responsibility, etc, etc..

This is how professional party would have handled it:
"We in Ukrainian ministry of defense have received AI report of X,Y,Z and take the information in it very seriously. We will conduct independent investigation to verify the information within and take any measures needed to protect and safeguard the ukranian lives"

Sprinkle in with few sentences on how entire thing is caused by Russian violent attack on freedom loving Ukrainian people who just want to determine their own destiny and call it a day. In a week nobody would care for this. At some time boosting civil defense effort is something that Ukrainians will benefit from and obviously are in need of.
But no, trust your run of the mill average EE politician to mess up even simple case like this.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 6. Aug 22, 20:48

Apparently Iran is supplying Russia with drones based off of a US drone downed in Iran. ~45 drones?

US approves another 1 billion dollar aid package.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Sat, 6. Aug 22, 23:21

Say hello to ПФМ-1 "Лепесток" ("Petal") anti-personnel mine (a rip-off from US BLU-43/B "Dragontooth" mine) typically "deployed" from a cluster-munition rocket!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLa00EmfNaQ

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 6. Aug 22, 23:54

Alm888 wrote:
Sat, 6. Aug 22, 23:21
Say hello to ПФМ-1 "Лепесток" ("Petal") anti-personnel mine (a rip-off from US BLU-43/B "Dragontooth" mine) typically "deployed" from a cluster-munition rocket!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLa00EmfNaQ

They have been using these for quite a while. One aspect of the mines is that they look like a toy so kids will pick them up.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 00:44

mr.WHO wrote:
Warenwolf wrote:
AI is really f*cking wrong on this one.
... do you understand the key issue they are trying to say ?
if one military "hides" among civilians and gets ass-kicked by another military ... then they cant complain about civilian casualties (quite obviously, in my view ^^)

what the heck do you find "f***ing wrong" on this ?

ukrainian soliders should go out and hide in the woods, instead of hiding in cities and schools (and "attract" enemy fire to civilians)
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 01:35

I have warned people several times to stop abusing the swear filter on the forum in this thread. Use appropriate language, according to the forum rules, or do not post.

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 05:58

JSDD wrote:
Sun, 7. Aug 22, 00:44
mr.WHO wrote:
Warenwolf wrote:
AI is really f*cking wrong on this one.
if one military "hides" among civilians and gets ass-kicked by another military ... then they cant complain about civilian casualties (quite obviously, in my view ^^)

what the heck do you find "f***ing wrong" on this ?
Russia kills civilians whether there is the military is nearby or not, so no, Russia cannot use that as an excuse.
ukrainian soliders should go out and hide in the woods, instead of hiding in cities and schools (and "attract" enemy fire to civilians)
Like the Russians did in the red forest? Have you always been this dumb, or have you been drinking Drano?

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 07:52

burger1 wrote:
Sat, 6. Aug 22, 23:54
They have been using these for quite a while. One aspect of the mines is that they look like a toy so kids will pick them up.
Yeah, nasty stuff. I've heard that part in "Rambo III" with soviets scattering booby-trapped toys was in fact about these land-mines.
Sovereign01 wrote:
Sun, 7. Aug 22, 05:58
JSDD wrote:
Russia kills civilians whether there is the military is nearby or not, so no, Russia cannot use that as an excuse.
I don't think (s)he speaks about Russia. The AI report is about Ukrainian tactic, so why Russia is obligated to use any excuses, again?
Sovereign01 wrote:
Sun, 7. Aug 22, 05:58
JSDD wrote:
Like the Russians did in the red forest? Have you always been this dumb, or have you been drinking Drano?
Wow! A direct personal assault! This is sure gonna help you convince your opponent! Keep it up!
By the way, can you tell more about what happend in "red forest"? It is the first time I'm reading anything about this, so it feels awkward not to be informed about something everyone knows. :(

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 7. Aug 22, 10:33

@ Sovereign01: Another personal attack like that and you will not be posting in Off Topic again. Stick to discussing the topic content and not other posters.

@ JSDD: I have dealt with that comment so please do not respond further about it.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “Off Topic English”