Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by fiksal » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 00:43

Warenwolf wrote:
Wed, 21. Sep 22, 23:55
JSDD wrote:
Wed, 21. Sep 22, 23:18
Warenwolf wrote:
Wed, 21. Sep 22, 22:48
Can you explain why you think Ukraine will die by this winter?
figuratively! ... they gonna die like the nazis did some 80 years ago .. go watch old ww2 documentaries to know what i mean ^^
Third Reich was fighting on foreign soil without winter gear the first year of the ww2. This time around it is Russians fighting on foreign soil. So please do explain how winter in Ukraine that Ukrainians are familiar with, will kill them?

----------------

In other news, over 1000 arrested in anti-war protests in Russia during the last day:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... 550b8a9ffa

as long as we are on WW2 analogy track,

then let's also add, that like in WW2 the world joined together against a common evil, and supplied those fighting it.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

UnknownObject
x4

Post by UnknownObject » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 02:34

Warenwolf wrote:
In other news, over 1000 arrested in anti-war protests in Russia during the last day:

By rumors, detentioned ones are given call-up papers right in the police offices.
Мир всем народам на свете.
Нам не нужна
Война!

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 08:15

UnknownObject wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 02:34
Warenwolf wrote:

By rumors, detentioned ones are given call-up papers right in the police offices.

If those rumors are true, Putin's regime is really trotting out old school methods. If few during the next few days "fall out of the window" in the police station or "down the stairs" - the image is complete.

----------------

In the other news - Nikolai Peskov, the son of Putin’s press secretary Dmitry Peskov, surely will not join the peasantry draftees in the first line:
https://news.yahoo.com/am-mr-peskov-res ... ccounter=1

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 14:08

UnknownObject wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 02:34
I saw that. That makes sense, recruit and arm folks that are against the war or government.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 17:04

fiksal wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 00:43
then let's also add, that like in WW2 the world joined together against a common evil, and supplied those fighting it.
It already started.
Germany pladge to deliver 200k winter uniforms for Ukraine, which seriously might be more helpful than all weapons Germany has sent combined.

Here in Poland I've already seen dozen croudfunding actions for winter equipment, similar to those Bayraktar crowdfunding.
I bet there are more such actions in multiple countries.

On the other side:
Here is a video (which is shortly before Charkiv offensive succeded) from Igor Girkin, high ranking FSB official.
He complain how poorly Russian forces are prepared for winter and say that if things continue like that, Russian forces will collapse in October and is not prepared for winter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb5b6B3aKIo

Unfortunately video is only in Girking russian + polish commentary & subtitle.
I hope someone has his video with english, coz it's quite interesting.
Girkin seems to be very critical and unfiltered on how poor the russian forces and state organization really is - this really seem like non-propaganda view from actual frontline situation.

JSDD wrote:
you think those 600 billion dollars belong to some oligarchs ??
thats not correct, my friend, its owned by the state, hence the russian people
Suuuuuuuure, those multi-milion dollar mansion and multi-milion dollar yachts are all for sure working for (some) Russian people.
Definetly these enriched and boosted the life quality of (some) Russian people.

Now when they will be confiscated and donated for Ukraine, they will still work for russian people - isn't it Russia who claim Ukrainians don't exist and they are Russian all along?
This is not confiscation, it's Special Redistrubution Operation.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 18:22

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 00:13
JSDD wrote:

All the more reason to confiscate it, since it was the Russian state which launched this unjust and illegal invasion, and the Russian people who supported the current regime either through a misguided desire to Make Russia Great Again enabling the rise of Putin, or political apathy.

I have little sympathy for the Russian people suffering some financial loss as a result of Putin's military adventurism, because it is the Russian people who ultimately are responsible for their leadership.
So, your "Grand Plan" is to employ the "Stockholm Syndrome" on a country-level scale?

Basically, "humiliate them, rob them, expel them, cancel them (kill as many of them as possible) until they finally see that their enemy is in the Kremlin, change their ways, overthrow him and start to pay, pay, pay for what they have done!"
Sounds like a plan… for WWIII.

He who chooses shame in "war vs. shame" gets both a war and a shame. Something Russians have learned the hard way recently (say hello to the Olympics Movement). Not Putin, though. This guy seemed to agree with any humiliation the "Civilized World" trows at Russia as long as "North Stream II" gets launched. Oil must flow, after all. His loyal oligarchs must get richer by the day.

Or "Hanhikivi Nuclear Power Plant", provided by Russia to Finland (now joining the NATO!) without any cost (even the money Finland had to pay were leased from "Russian National Wealth Fund"). Guess how many new power plants were build inside Russia from all those funds? Yeah, the plan to appease the West went really well for Putin…

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 18:26

JSDD wrote:
stealing it to fund whatever you want means stealing healthcare / social security / police / firefighters from some 150 million russians who worked hard to deserve that
Need some proof. It's easy to make claims. Like "Russia has admitted defeat and offered to pay repatriations to Ukraine".

See?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 18:42

Chips wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 18:26
JSDD wrote:
stealing it to fund whatever you want means stealing healthcare / social security / police / firefighters from some 150 million russians who worked hard to deserve that
Need some proof. It's easy to make claims. Like "Russia has admitted defeat and offered to pay repatriations to Ukraine".

See?

Because it's bs.

Russian is not communist, people dont share value of goods among everyone. Russia has a (bandit) version of capitalism. Or a true capitalism perhaps?

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 17:04
fiksal wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 00:43
It already started.
Germany pladge to deliver 200k winter uniforms for Ukraine, which seriously might be more helpful than all weapons Germany has sent combined.

Here in Poland I've already seen dozen croudfunding actions for winter equipment, similar to those Bayraktar crowdfunding.
I bet there are more such actions in multiple countries.
Time to review donation web sites and charities again. I might donate to who I did before

Got any in mind?
Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 18:22
Basically, "humiliate them, rob them, expel them, cancel them (kill as many of them as possible) until they finally see that their enemy is in the Kremlin, change their ways, overthrow him and start to pay, pay, pay for what they have done!"

That's called consequences that shouldnt be surprising to anyone.

I was not robbed, expelled, humiliated or cancelled. Maybe that's because I dont paint Z on my face and dig mass graves.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 19:12

Russia drafting more than 300k currently. Are they immediately drafting the full 1M or more? They might be?

https://news.yahoo.com/hidden-paragraph ... 25603.html

Ukraine can probably produce their own winter clothing if needed. They will need to water proof it also since wet clothes and winter aren't the best. Might be more concerned about the civilian population and potential damage from freezing/bursting water pipes, mold, etc... Keeping water from freezing and keeping it usable is another issue. Food freezing is another issue. Hopefully they start up some sort of national information system that gives them tips/information on how to combat/prevent these problems. Knowledge might prove to be quite useful in this case if presented correctly in a an easy to comprehend manner that nearly everyone understands and can employ.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 19:39

I don't know why we are all talking about this winter clothing thing. Nato allready said they will supply ukraine with winter clothes two weeks ago.

Source: https://mil.in.ua/en/news/nato-will-pro ... -uniforms/
(German Source: <https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschl ... 14d870ccd9>)
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 20:22

No one mantioned that Ukraine made POV exchange and got 200 Azov fighters for 50 Russian POVs (out of which one was some direct fellow of Putin)...so about that nazi narrative?
I recall Stalin didn't exchange his son for german POVs.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Thu, 22. Sep 22, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

Alm888
x4

Post by Alm888 » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 20:26

fiksal wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 18:42
I thought this is called "self-righteousness". Wars usually happen when some people decide they have the high privilege to judge and prosecute others based on their believes of what is right and what is wrong. In case of NATO, expanding eastward is "right" and Russia's westward expansion is "wrong". Plain and simple.
fiksal wrote:
I was not robbed, expelled, humiliated or cancelled. Maybe that's because I dont paint Z on my face and dig mass graves.
Or maybe because you are not Russian. :)

I'm sorry, but if you (for some inexplicable chance) are Russian, this means you are outright lying, because, as we all know this, sanctions are working and Russian economy is in tatters! Have you not lost your job (provided you had one)? Weren't you denied any purchases of Western Goods? How are your travels? Are Russian planes still flying? What about cars? Or you are using horse carts already? How are VISA and MasterCard treating you lately? Eh, eh. :twisted:

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 20:41

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 17:04
JSDD wrote:
Suuuuuuuure, those multi-milion dollar mansion and multi-milion dollar yachts are all for sure working for (some) Russian people.
Definetly these enriched and boosted the life quality of (some) Russian people.
question 1:
you know what the "treaty of versailles" is? ..
iZ the essenZ of what brought hitler to power .. and made germans aaaaangry, veeery angry against the "west" / allied powers
// those who dont learn from history, are damned to repeat it! (and i dont mean germany, in this context)

question 2:
do you know the difference between private owned money (of oligarchs for example) AND state owned money (those 600 billion $ foreign exchange reserves) ?
this is not the same.

statement 1:
according to this logic (about international law and so on), iraq would have the same right to confiscate the oligarch "brittney spears" money (or hillary clinton)
cause she was all for that iraq war ... which too, was against international law

statement 2:
if it is "right" to confiscate money from a state (for example russian foreign exchange reservers / gold / what not), in which court can russia appeal that "decision"?
if there is no court to appeal against a "law", then this in not rightfully a "law" ... it is like a decision from the king of camel riders (at least in my view). its unjust.

question 3:
who on earth enforces international law?
those same countries who broke it in iraq? what makes those countries as "special" as russias "special mil. ops."? ..
who (on earth) voted them (in a free election) / gave them the "allowance" to do that?
what entitles those countries to .. A) make laws and B) at the same time enforce those laws?
who on this god damn earth has the right to declare germany a "enemy state"? (which it is up to this day, just read that eF-ing int. law)
what is an "enemy" in legal terms? .. is it something / -body unwanted, unaccepted, .. or what is it?

please explain that to somebody who doesnt have a screw loose!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_Enemy_State_Clause wrote:While Germany and Japan have advocated for the deletion of these clauses from the Charter the removal so far hasn't taken place due to the complex amendment process.
according to this "law", italy (which will soooon be fascist one more time) is still an enemy state .. so what?
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 21:30

Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 20:26
fiksal wrote:
I thought this is called "self-righteousness". Wars usually happen when some people decide they have the high privilege to judge and prosecute others based on their believes of what is right and what is wrong.
It ain't NATO burying people in hills.

But you are right.
Russia/Russians have invaded because it decided "they have the high privilege to judge and prosecute others based on their believes of what is right and what is wrong. "

Alm888 wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 20:26
fiksal wrote:
Or maybe because you are not Russian. :)

I'm sorry, but if you (for some inexplicable chance) are Russian, this means you are outright lying, because, as we all know this, sanctions are working and Russian economy is in tatters! Have you not lost your job (provided you had one)? Weren't you denied any purchases of Western Goods? How are your travels? Are Russian planes still flying? What about cars? Or you are using horse carts already? How are VISA and MasterCard treating you lately? Eh, eh. :twisted:
на сколько я помню в России все заменят своим и лучшем)

есть третий вариант, я не в России

as I recall everything in Russia will soon be replaced by locally and better made

also, there's a third option. I am not in Russia

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 21:38

JSDD wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 20:41
question 1:
iZ the essenZ of what brought hitler to power .. and made germans aaaaangry, veeery angry against the "west" / allied powers
// those who dont learn from history, are damned to repeat it! (and i dont mean germany, in this context)
Are you f***king serious ? You just admitted Russia is 3rd Reich.
You do not appease Hitler, you starve him, sanction him and fight him.

JSDD wrote:
question 2:
do you know the difference between private owned money (of oligarchs for example) AND state owned money (those 600 billion $ foreign exchange reserves) ?
this is not the same.
There is no need to make a difference between state and private money of Russia.
None of Russian oligarchs build their wealth from the scratch, Bill Gates style - there is a reson why they are on sanctions list.
Some russian billionares are not sanctioned - because they have nothing to do with Russian state and made their fortunes outside Russia state aparathus.
Basic due diligence is provided and some sanctioned individual even went to court to contest this - we'll see who win.

Both Russian state money and identified state connected oligarch money should be confiscated and donated to Ukraine as a reparations.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 21:42

Once again, stop abusing the swear filter.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 21:50

@Alm888

I admit, I am not the typical example of a Russian. Thanks for noting on the state of the economy though. All I get from 1TV and propaganda press is that how everything is peachy

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 22:27

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 21:38
JSDD wrote:
question 1:
Are you f***king serious ? You just admitted Russia is 3rd Reich.
You do not appease Hitler, you starve him, sanction him and fight him.
putin is not hitler ... if westerns succed with "keeping russia down" you gonna see a russian hitler taking over once putin is gone! :roll:
putin is kind of "moderate" ... there are far more dangerous creatures in russia
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 22:35

JSDD wrote:
Thu, 22. Sep 22, 22:27
putin is not hitler ... if westerns succed with "keeping russia down" you gonna see a russian hitler taking over once putin is gone! :roll:
putin is kind of "moderate" ... there are far more dangerous creatures in russia
So we need to surrender to Kaiser, hoping that we can avoid Hitler?
What a joke.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 22:40

I keep noticing that the ones who complain about Western abuse of power and hypocrisy (which admittedly are plenty of historic examples) at same time totally ignore Putin's abuse of power and hypocrisy. While Putin threatens with nuclear strikes, the very same people discuss legality of freezing assets of the guy threatening with nukes...go figure...

Semantics don't win wars. And we are in war. As to those who support Putin and are Russian, I will point out that instead of playing at keyboard warriors, there is perfect chance to support your side by joining the army. Enjoy the fresh air at the front instead of those that oppose such assignment*:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... -in-droves

*Putin's army is accepting foreigners too.

Return to “Off Topic English”