Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

greypanther
x3ap

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by greypanther » Wed, 11. May 22, 23:28

Never mind Hitler's justification for invading Sudetenland, ( which I stated much earlier in the thread, ) Turkey had a similar justification for invading Cyprus. :roll:

According to Flightradar and MarineTraffic, there is still a lot of trade between Russia and Turkey. How much can the " ally " Turkey be trusted?
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 12. May 22, 00:38

JSDD wrote:
Wed, 11. May 22, 17:39
i think what they both wanted was ... a united europe :) (in their hands, as napoleon wanted, too)
I'll have to do some homework to speak in detail of what Stalin wanted. At high level view - he wanted submission, from his subjects and the other countries. The state was above people.
JSDD wrote:
as we know, the US makes problems often worse ... and tend to go to war relatively quickly (even if there is no threat to their teritorial integrity)
there's for sure work to be done to keep those who want "special operations" out of easy access to troops.
JSDD wrote:
i think if NATO would be lead by the vatican (pope city), the war in ukraine would have never been started by putler
what difference would it make? Putin is not afraid of any union. And especially Vatican, the enemy of the Russian Orthodox church.
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 12. May 22, 00:55

burger1 wrote:
Wed, 11. May 22, 19:30
Daily stats May 11, 2022

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/sta ... 97/photo/1

7 day average changes from a month ago:
Troops +85% killed per week
Planes -62%
Helicopters -44%
Tanks +116% so more than doubled
Artillery +9%
Armoured Personnel Carriers +170% so more than doubled
MLRS (multi launch rocket systems) +16%
Boats +100% doubled
vehicles +49%
UAV +142% more than doubled
Anti Aircraft Systems -45% (might have had a busy week a month ago?)
Special equipment +50%
I would certainly believe those numbers before I believe the Russian numbers, especially seeing as they say that there has only been 1351 Russian killed so far in the war, sorry I mean special military operation. I think I have seen more than that killed on video, every time you watch a tank go boom, that's three dead Russians and there are a lot of videos of that happening. Or put it this way Russia are refusing to take back their dead, that train carriage has 130 dead Russian soldiers in it, if you believe the Russian dead count, that means 10 percent of their dead is in that carriage alone. There are also numerous new large graveyards with simple crosses on hundreds of newly dug graves, and they are all Russian soldiers that Russia have refused to take back. Not to mention dozens of new military graveyards popping up all over Russia.

Also take note of the high number of APV's that's because the Russians are using them as front line equipment. While an APV is armoured and can have some serious firepower, they are not made to be on the front line, the armour itself may stop a bullet, but that's about it. An APV is meant to take troops from one area to another, You also have to think that every time one of them goes boom that is at least 2 dead Russians, that's the driver and the gunner, but they could also have a dozen soldiers or so in the back.

I would not be surprised in the least if the number of dead Russian was way higher than they are estimating.

I do feel sorry for those families of those dead Russians, they did not ask for any of this, and they deserve to get their dead children back, and it is sick that the Russian government/Military is refusing to accept them.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 12. May 22, 05:41

The picture is from Yesterday, it was a pontoon set up by the Russian a little bit north-east of Kharkiv on the Donets river, as you can see it was a Russian annihilation by Ukrainian artillery. The picture shows at least 8 vehicles, looks like BMP's and several tanks, so let say at least 3 people in each vehicle so possibly 24 altogether, more than likely none survived and that's just one incident and 1 part of the attack there was a lot more to it.

This is something else. Don't know when or where it is from, but once again it's a Russian tank going boom, and it went BOOM. Something tells me no one survived that one.

If the numbers are correct, things are not going well for Russia

An interesting look at what those number actually mean in the sense of Russian loses. Just the tanks alone is a 98.7% loss of the tanks intended to be used for the invasion.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 12. May 22, 05:48

felter wrote:
Thu, 12. May 22, 00:55
I do feel sorry for those families of those dead Russians, they did not ask for any of this, and they deserve to get their dead children back, and it is sick that the Russian government/Military is refusing to accept them.
I don't know what I feel. A lot of those families do not feel sorry, they put on a Z ribbon and celebrate the victory day. They celebrate the "victories" of the Russian army, and the murders they commit.

For everyone else I do feel sorry

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Thu, 12. May 22, 05:51

It's called the Jack-in-the-box effect, for obvious reasons :lol: That must have been a T-72, the Russian T-72s are extremely vulnerable due to storage of the ammunition in a ring along the inside of the turret right next to the crew.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Thu, 12. May 22, 09:49

Geopolitical fallout in Europe due to Ukrainian war continues:

Finland closer to NATO membership with Prime Minister and the President of the Republic giving out joint statement - https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FSieyAFXIAM ... name=large

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Thu, 12. May 22, 11:01

found a very good documentation of the prelude to the current conflict ... (by pbs frontline)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urg1NTA ... 7COfficial
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 12. May 22, 11:31

JSDD wrote:
Thu, 12. May 22, 11:01
found a very good documentation of the prelude to the current conflict ... (by pbs frontline)
"This footage shows Igor and his fellow separatists storming the Kharkiv Government building... Igor says he was joined by busloads of Russians who had come across the border earlier that day. But it turns out they were doing it for more than political belief, Igor boasted they were being paid to fight... 'We were recruited as pro Russian fighters, paid $40 an hour to beat up the Kiev fascists' " (14mins)

Says all you need to know. The entire thing is chilling.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Thu, 12. May 22, 11:46

Chips wrote:
Thu, 12. May 22, 11:31
JSDD wrote:
Thu, 12. May 22, 11:01
"This footage shows Igor and his fellow separatists storming the Kharkiv Government building... Igor says he was joined by busloads of Russians who had come across the border earlier that day. But it turns out they were doing it for more than political belief, Igor boasted they were being paid to fight... 'We were recruited as pro Russian fighters, paid $40 an hour to beat up the Kiev fascists' " (14mins)

Says all you need to know. The entire thing is chilling.
only if you willing, and able to fight that fight, you'd accept that 40$ an hour ... that says you all, too
nobody extorted those people to fight, they did it voluntarily :roll: (and earned a bit by the way)

another documentation telling whats up with russia and putler ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AkAZIk ... BSNewsHour
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Thu, 12. May 22, 17:35

A Russian conscript earns about 30$ a month, and the families compensation for a fallen soldier is 100$, is what I am reading online. So the 40$ fall pretty much in line with the usual payment.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 12. May 22, 17:44

Tamina wrote:
Thu, 12. May 22, 17:35
A Russian conscript earns about 30$ a month, and the families compensation for a fallen soldier is 100$, is what I am reading online. So the 40$ fall pretty much in line with the usual payment.
Oh sh*t for families to realize life is worth of modestly fancy dinner in the West.
Even in Russia 100$ is probably nothing much either.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 12. May 22, 17:45

fiksal wrote:
Thu, 12. May 22, 05:48
felter wrote:
I don't know what I feel. A lot of those families do not feel sorry, they put on a Z ribbon and celebrate the victory day. They celebrate the "victories" of the Russian army, and the murders they commit.

I'm not going to go there, to judge someone that I don't know, as I know not all Russians support what's going on and not all of them want what is going on. All I know is they have lost someone due to something outside their control, and they can't get them back. I have been in the position where I had loved ones and friends fighting in a war, I have lived with the thought that I would maybe not be able to see them alive ever again, so I can only imagine how bad it would be to think that if anything had happened that I would not get their body back to bury is pretty horrendous. Nope, those people in Russia are not the ones who are doing the war crimes even if they support the war or not they deserve to get the bodies of their loved ones returned to them, it's the humane thing to do.

Talking about war crimes, the main news story on the BBC show the Russians shooting a 65-year-old civilian security guard in the back. There is little doubt that it is a war crime, as they have it all recorded, they even have the face of the Russian who did it.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 12. May 22, 18:28

SoonTM - a very bad days for russian tankers, NLAW was only an apetizer:
https://twitter.com/wolski_jaros/status ... 2647746563

They should get bigger cope cage :D

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 12. May 22, 23:31

felter wrote:
Thu, 12. May 22, 17:45
fiksal wrote:
Thu, 12. May 22, 05:48
felter wrote:

I'm not going to go there, to judge someone that I don't know, as I know not all Russians support what's going on and not all of them want what is going on. All I know is they have lost someone due to something outside their control, and they can't get them back. I have been in the position where I had loved ones and friends fighting in a war, I have lived with the thought that I would maybe not be able to see them alive ever again, so I can only imagine how bad it would be to think that if anything had happened that I would not get their body back to bury is pretty horrendous. Nope, those people in Russia are not the ones who are doing the war crimes even if they support the war or not they deserve to get the bodies of their loved ones returned to them, it's the humane thing to do.
I agree that they should get the bodies back and be properly buried.

We can leave other topics behind.
mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 12. May 22, 17:44
Tamina wrote:
Thu, 12. May 22, 17:35
Oh sh*t for families to realize life is worth of modestly fancy dinner in the West.
Even in Russia 100$ is probably nothing much either.
I cant validate those numbers, but indeed, $100 is nothing serious, even with the shot up exchange rate.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 12. May 22, 23:46

There's an update on that picture I showed last night of around 8 vehicles destroyed, I said it was only a small part of it, turns out it involves around 50 Russian vehicles destroyed, and the estimate is 1,000 Russian soldiers killed in that single attack, in other words the Ukrainians destroyed an entire Russian Battalion. Those troops were on their way to help bolster the lines that are collapsing around Kharkiv, this is another major hit to Russia.

Ben Hodges being interviewed about it.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 13. May 22, 08:21

Looks like Russia is abandoning Kharkiv front, just like with Kiyv front before.
Additionally, it now scale down it's encirlement plans yet agian.

Looks like this war will be ending one front a time - 3 more to go.

Whoever lead Ukrainian campaing is damn calm and methodical, taking time knowing it work in Ukraine favor.
I hope that Summer offensive is not just a PR move, but will be a damn epic ass whooping.

Edit: One thing bizzare me - where are Russian reserves? They should be able to brin something after 2 months, even without general mobilization. Where are they? at Finland?

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Fri, 13. May 22, 11:19

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 13. May 22, 08:21
Edit: One thing bizzare me - where are Russian reserves? They should be able to brin something after 2 months, even without general mobilization. Where are they? at Finland?
They are ... in reserve. As absurd as it sounds, Russia considers itself to be "at peace", i.e. no martial law or anything, technically. Which means that reservists stay in reserve. When people talk about mobilization, they generally mean "mobilizing the reserves" - mass conscript callups are something else entirely. As far as I've heard, anyone who's been in the Russian army in the past 5 years is part of the reserve - given the conscript/contract nature of the army, most of them will have been conscripts.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 13. May 22, 11:45

Olterin wrote:
Fri, 13. May 22, 11:19
They are ... in reserve. As absurd as it sounds, Russia considers itself to be "at peace", i.e. no martial law or anything, technically. Which means that reservists stay in reserve. When people talk about mobilization, they generally mean "mobilizing the reserves" - mass conscript callups are something else entirely. As far as I've heard, anyone who's been in the Russian army in the past 5 years is part of the reserve - given the conscript/contract nature of the army, most of them will have been conscripts.
Still it's odd, I don't ask about general mobilization when you could assemble a million or two troops, but country the size of Russia, having ongoing 150k troops operation, should be able to muster additional 50-100k more by now (and still call it "special operation").

I read some rumors that Russian reservist pool core is around 55+ years old and that COVID made significant dent in it.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Fri, 13. May 22, 13:51

Erdogan regarding Finland's and Sweden's potential membership in NATO:

https://www.reuters.com/world/erdogan-s ... 022-05-13/

My take on it - he wants to hold the two country's application process as hostage in order to get concessions from EU or USA. After all he did ruin Turkeys economy in record time.

Return to “Off Topic English”