Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

felter
xr

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by felter » Sat, 14. May 22, 17:31

@Warenwolf

Everything that I have said so far has been confirmed as true, even yourself is confirming what I am saying. I use common sense, I may watch videos from YouTube and other sites and read what the press is saying but at the end of the day I take what I see with a pinch of salt and say to myself can that be true. You mentioned the Ghost of Kyiv, I never got into that story much it sounded plausible, but something was always off about it, and I have never mentioned it here or anywhere else for that matter. You also mentioned :
It basically emits a signal "here I am" and if you know what to look for (and Chinese have shared this info with Russians) you'll know about the drone the moment it is turned on.
I have never heard that before, can I ask just where did you get that information from, wasn't the Chinese or Russians by any chance.

As for what I said about the drones, I never said that radar can't pick them up, I said it's a waste of time using radar as there is no way to know if what the radar has picked up is a one-foot wide drone or a bird with a one-foot wingspan, even if they did then what, use a $50k missile to shoot it down. Also doesn't matter if they can use electronics to detect the drone either because I doubt that there are many Russians who have that equipment to be able to do just that, certainly those Russians fighting and getting bomblets dropped on them don't have that means, also even if they did have what are those soldiers going to do about them, not a thing. Besides, remember those small drones only have a max broadcast distance of 15KM that means you have to be probably nearer than 15 KM to detect that so called here I am signal, so if you were to use that signal along with radar to determine whether it was a drone or a crow you would need hundreds of thousands of radar all over Ukraine just to pick them up, impossible to do. Common sense or what.

The Russians themselves have confirmed that they are using TU-141 drones and have been using them in eastern Ukraine since 2014. The one that I linked was mainly to show what kind of drones they are using compared to what Ukraine are using, mainly showing the size difference, I mean there is no way you're going to think TU-141 drones are a crow. Also notice I never said the drone had been shot down or intercepted by Ukraine, I just showed a video of a downed drone, nothing fake about it. I have no idea where it happened, when it happened or even how it happened, but from the looks of it I personally think it looks like it just fell out of the sky, ran out of fuel or just broke, it doesn't look like it was shot at, but I have no idea and never commented on it.

So that's my personal thoughts on the drones, common sense tells me most of that. So what else do you think I have been telling lies about, surely not the river crossing, as I doubt there is not a mainstream news channel not talking about it (apart from in Russia). The use of the M777 is my own thoughts and I explained how I have come to that conclusion. Is it the range difference I mentioned, that is well documented. There are numerous places you can get all the facts about nearly all the weapons being used, not just Wiki, YouTube or reddit.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sat, 14. May 22, 21:03

felter wrote:
Sat, 14. May 22, 17:31
@Warenwolf

Everything that I have said so far has been confirmed as true, even yourself is confirming what I am saying. I use common sense, I may watch videos from YouTube and other sites and read what the press is saying but at the end of the day I take what I see with a pinch of salt and say to myself can that be true.

(...)
I never accused you of lying. I just asked you to be more critical. Don't take this personally. And I don't feel that most of you wrote is verified information. Except of Russians failing to cross that river and struggling with Ukr drones. Rest was TV novella quality speculative IMHO and I would be happy if proven wrong. Sorry...

felter wrote:

You also mentioned :
It basically emits a signal "here I am" and if you know what to look for (and Chinese have shared this info with Russians) you'll know about the drone the moment it is turned on.
I have never heard that before, can I ask just where did you get that information from, wasn't the Chinese or Russians by any chance.

(...)

I said it's a waste of time using radar as there is no way to know if what the radar has picked up is a one-foot wide drone or a bird with a one-foot wingspan, even if they did then what, use a $50k missile to shoot it down.
It has been known since 2017 publicly via SA troops dealing with insurgents starting to use off the shelf drones (Yemen) - later on rebels in Syria fighting with Russians experienced same issues (just from other side). It was known probably earlier by people who are professional. I don't have documentation at hand because my interest in the military matters is limited. So I don't store news articles.

However most recent indication about this was interview with Ukrainian drone operator who mentioned that their position were bombed right after turning the drone on which confirms 80-90% of my claims.

The interview was done for CNN:
https://youtu.be/b166ecyNBCw?t=117

Also your further writing about realities of warfare shows me that you are not updated regarding development of signal warfare in last 30 years (at least). There is so much to unpack there but lets keep it simple.
- lets take drone vs bird claim:
Rheinmetall must be then on the wrong track then (according to you) : https://youtu.be/pb5_F4_Eod8
I just linked that to their sales pitch because their radar which they kinda use (among other things) to discriminate between birds and small drones. And it is based on a system which is well over 15 years old and was used in artillery radars.

I am gonna on record here and say that you can go much cheaper than Rheinmetall's somewhat over engineered Skynex and use EW equipment to shut down civilian drones which costs in 250-300 euro currently of course with some limitations in range depending on the model and emitter type (google jammers operating at 2.4 to 2.48 GHz and/or 5.725 to 5.85 GHz). . At some point Russians will figure that out and not use mortars to shell positions of activated equipment.
They can also use GPS jammers and glonass filtering to disable navigation and operation in wide range - but I suspect that they don't have filtering capability on their glonass. Bayraktar and other mil drones will not be affected by that but all civilian ones will.

Now, I am not writing all of this because I think that Russians can easily deal with drones - they cannot. Their generals are busy with corruption and easy living instead of analyzing the drone use in Yemen, Afghanistan and Nagorno-Karabah conflict.
But I got bit triggered when you wrote that radar cannot separate between birds and drones with utter confidence (and now doubled down on that). And panicking russian soldiers due to garage modified civilian drones (which sounds like typical war tale) that cannot do anything with that - where is your interview of these troops? Or is the source of type simple "thrust me bro"?
felter wrote:
The Russians themselves have confirmed that they are using TU-141 drones and have been using them in eastern Ukraine since 2014. The one that I linked was mainly to show what kind of drones they are using compared to what Ukraine are using, mainly showing the size difference,
Well I have linked to sources in my earlier post saying these drones are used by Ukrainians since 2014 (here is the wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-141).
I want you to document that Russians have been using these drones since 2014.

I am totally supporting Ukraine and have nothing but contempt to the land steal that Kremlin is doing there but that does not mean that I am shutting down my brain just because "my team" says A is B.

That is a Balkan mentality for good or bad - "Distrust and doubly verify". Sorry if that line of thinking offends you because it does question your current conviction*.

Cheers.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 15. May 22, 07:04

Ukraine wins Eurovison. Might host Eurovision next year. Might be hosted in Mariupol ? Russia was banned from Eurovision.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/14/ente ... index.html

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sun, 15. May 22, 10:46

burger1 wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 07:04
Ukraine wins Eurovison. Might host Eurovision next year. Might be hosted in Mariupol ? Russia was banned from Eurovision.

you think thats based on their merit ?? ... that show / those viewers wants to make a "statement of solidarity"
i'd never vote for a few peasants who are singing some traditional chant, thats just not my thing ...
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 15. May 22, 11:56

JSDD wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 10:46
burger1 wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 07:04

you think thats based on their merit ?? ... that show / those viewers wants to make a "statement of solidarity"
i'd never vote for a few peasants who are singing some traditional chant, thats just not my thing ...
I think it is partially a political statement, but also partially based on their merits. I for example listened to the band Go_a, they participated for Ukraine in 2021 and were scheduled to do so in 2020 as well, long before the war ever broke out. In fact that was the only band to ever participate in Eurovision I listen to on a regular basis. The music, like that of the band that participated this year, is also a bit...let's call it unusual and they still got ranked high even without the war.

Also this years song was mixed with rap. Rap is a popular genre in many European countries. As examples here are the current number 1 singles from Germany and France.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sun, 15. May 22, 15:37

clakclak wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 11:56
Also this years song was mixed with rap. Rap is a popular genre in many European countries. As examples here are the current number 1 singles from Germany and France.
i know, but your linked music is not "really" rap in my eyes :roll:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB7A1zJ ... el=BUSHIDO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzxbqGf ... l=AGGRO.TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9zm7jc ... l=AGGRO.TV

... or if you prefer english :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nHcSRQ ... Freak24100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOhDfZR ... ngs10Bibby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPokr7j ... anDarkseid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j_cOsg ... ThugsMusic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iqm3tz ... 4AllPeople

<!--end-off-topic-->

... just found a quite interesting map ...
https://liveuamap.com/
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 16. May 22, 00:52

@Warenwolf

The point I'm really trying to make is you are accusing me of doing something, while at the exact same time you are actually doing what you are trying to accuse me of doing, telling me that I'm bad for doing something, that I don't know what I'm talking about, while doing it yourself. Hypocrisy wins every time, yeah.

@JSDD

There are several maps like that doing the rounds from both sides, yours is more Russian orientated, which is fine. What I do find bad about it is a lot of the markers are for the exact same story, making it look like there is more going on than there is. While some others are pretty much outdated, for example that story on Russia stealing the grain, that's been in the news for the past week, but theirs is from 12 hours ago, old news. Then you have the mundane, showing they are desperate for something to post as one of the stories is "Russian Air Force Ilyushin Il-76MD RA-86906 airborne from Crimea" and that's it, that's big news :gruebel: .
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 16. May 22, 01:01

liveUAmap is not a Russian or pro-russian site (they even go out of their way to tag Kremlin BS). It was developed in 2014 by Ukrainian software engineers and correlates data from government and social media sources and attempts to geo-locate many of the video and photographs that are posted. They've actually been doing a pretty good job of keeping nonsense off the site, so much so the UN and others officials often use it as a resource.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Mon, 16. May 22, 07:39

felter wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 00:52
@Warenwolf

The point I'm really trying to make is you are accusing me of doing something, while at the exact same time you are actually doing what you are trying to accuse me of doing, telling me that I'm bad for doing something, that I don't know what I'm talking about, while doing it yourself. Hypocrisy wins every time, yeah.

@JSDD

There are several maps like that doing the rounds from both sides, yours is more Russian orientated, which is fine. What I do find bad about it is a lot of the markers are for the exact same story, making it look like there is more going on than there is. While some others are pretty much outdated, for example that story on Russia stealing the grain, that's been in the news for the past week, but theirs is from 12 hours ago, old news. Then you have the mundane, showing they are desperate for something to post as one of the stories is "Russian Air Force Ilyushin Il-76MD RA-86906 airborne from Crimea" and that's it, that's big news :gruebel: .
Moving the goalpost technique, moving the discussion away from factual into personal :roll: Yes, I am terrible human being and all that.

Be that as it may, if you jump to conclusions at effing 0% evidence like you did just now with liveUAmap, claiming it is pro-Russian, and decide to share your "wisdom" to the world, people WILL call you out. If that offends you... sucks to be you, I guess.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 16. May 22, 08:35

Seems like Ukraine success east of Charkiv, Russian positions in Izum are in danger of cut off - aparently Russia is already withdrawing forces from there, to go for (yet again) more shallow encirclement strategy.

One need to admit - for all the sh*tty attack strategy and execution, Russian retreats seem to be among ones of the highest level of professionalism (orderly, swift, with relatively few losses).

This really show the morale problem, as it's probably like:
"Lets attack" - soldiers "F*ck no!"
"Lets retreat" - soldiers "lead the way boss".
Last edited by mr.WHO on Mon, 16. May 22, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 16. May 22, 11:57

JSDD wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 15:37
clakclak wrote:
Sun, 15. May 22, 11:56
i know, but your linked music is not "really" rap in my eyes :roll:
The music I linked is the number 1 single charts. That is why I linked it not because I like it. I prefer my rap with message and not from childish and homophobic idiots like Bushido who act like they are 'Gangsta' rappers but are under constant protection by the police and doing internships with the CDU. You can not get more establishment than that, it is just laughable.

<!--end-off-topic-->

As for Ukraine I am also constantly suprised by the reports of advances made by the Ukrainien army.
Reuters wrote:Ukrainian troops counter-attacking against Russian forces in the country's northeast have pushed them back from the city of Kharkiv and advanced as far as the border with Russia, Ukrainian officials said on Monday.
I honestly thought the turning point would come when the Russian Army withdrew from Kiev and regrouped in the east. Yet it seems as if the Ukrainian army is far more capable (or the Russian army far less capable) than I would ever have thought to be possible.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 16. May 22, 12:56

clakclak wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 11:57
I honestly thought the turning point would come when the Russian Army withdrew from Kiev and regrouped in the east. Yet it seems as if the Ukrainian army is far more capable (or the Russian army far less capable) than I would ever have thought to be possible.
Kiev is the turning point - since then Russia is loosing more territory than it's taking.
Ukraine seems to be going for steady, well planned push, one front a time.

They cleared Kiyv, then North-East, then are finalizing Charkiv.
The next seem like they are going to break norther pince of Izum, which will make Russia fail the enciclement objective.
The summer offensive is projected to go for center (towards Melitpol and Mariupol) to break Russia land bridge.

Seem like Cherson region is the last on the list, but seeing that ENTIRE Russian fron there hold on TWO bridges, Ukraine can cut and trap them any time they want - thus Russian control of Cherson is rather fragile and low priority for Ukraine offensive.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Mon, 16. May 22, 14:27

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 08:35
This really show the morale problem, as it's probably like:
"Lets attack" - soldiers "F*ck no!"
"Lets retreat" - soldiers "lead the way boss".
There's a choreography in the works:

Image 8)

----

@tomiahonen also has some nice details on why russia won't like the new NATO borders.

https://nitter.net/tomiahonen?cursor=HB ... oAAA%3D%3D

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Mon, 16. May 22, 17:15

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 12:56
The next seem like they are going to break norther pince of Izum, which will make Russia fail the enciclement objective.
The summer offensive is projected to go for center (towards Melitpol and Mariupol) to break Russia land bridge.

Seem like Cherson region is the last on the list, but seeing that ENTIRE Russian fron there hold on TWO bridges, Ukraine can cut and trap them any time they want - thus Russian control of Cherson is rather fragile and low priority for Ukraine offensive.

... take a look at it
the encirclement will be smaller, not from isyum on, they gonna encircle tightly around severodonetsk and lysychansk (my guess)
isyum was quite hard to get, and will be even harder to reclaim by ukrainians, cause its a difficult terrain (isyum lies between 2 forests and a river flows through all of it)

// russians too, got to chew several times before they can swallow that big piece ^^

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 16. May 22, 17:47

JSDD wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 17:15
... take a look at it
the encirclement will be smaller, not from isyum on, they gonna encircle tightly around severodonetsk and lysychansk (my guess)
isyum was quite hard to get, and will be even harder to reclaim by ukrainians, cause its a difficult terrain (isyum lies between 2 forests and a river flows through all of it)

// russians too, got to chew several times before they can swallow that big piece ^^
Looking at all previous failures, I wouldn't be suprised if this tiny encirclement would fail as well.
Aparently Severodonetsk and Lysychans are ideal defensive positions for Ukraine (hills and river dominating over fortified city) - if Russia strugle in Mariupol, then this will be Mariupol on steroids, plus Ukrainian reinforcements would actually be in striking range to break encicrlement.

Still, even if it succeed, it will trap much less Ukrainian forces, so strategic impact would be very limited (comparing to originally planned ecicclement).

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Tue, 17. May 22, 00:15

Have to agree with Toni Blair, something changed him, made him turn to the Dark Side, question is: What triggered that change?

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Tue, 17. May 22, 00:24

seems like ukrainians faked that video where soliders pose beside a border post (in northern charkiv)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... mbles.html

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Tue, 17. May 22, 02:04

JSDD wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 17:15
mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 12:56

... take a look at it

Before Severodonetsk gets encircled by Russians, Izyum will probably get encircled by Ukrainians.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Tue, 17. May 22, 11:56

https://www.ft.com/content/b1cf1dc7-dbb3-4a75-929c-904c64067bc3 wrote:Ukraine’s finance minister in April appealed for immediate financial support of tens of billions of dollars to plug Kyiv’s fiscal deficit, estimating that government spending would exceed revenues by between $5bn and $7bn a month. Kristalina Georgieva, the IMF’s managing director, subsequently estimated that Ukraine would need $15bn over three months to prop up its finances.
... so, those 33 billion from the US is sufficient enough to fund the war about half a year

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 16. May 22, 17:47
Still, even if it succeed, it will trap much less Ukrainian forces, so strategic impact would be very limited (comparing to originally planned ecicclement).
i think of it in terms of ...

(manpower) / (kilometers frontline)

... the more this current "U-shaped" frontline straightens up, the better ("stable") the russian defence line
(i know that many more factors play a role in this, but this assumption is not "blatantly" wrong, i guess ..)

------------------------------------------------

turkey gives nordic countries the middlefinger (regarding nato membership)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROdfcka ... ardianNews

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Tue, 17. May 22, 12:28

JSDD wrote:
Tue, 17. May 22, 11:56
... the more this current "U-shaped" frontline straightens up, the better ("stable") the russian defence line
(i know that many more factors play a role in this, but this assumption is not "blatantly" wrong, i guess ..)
The problem is that defensive lines are usually directional - what could be perfect defense line in one direction, might be undefendendable in opposite.
The problem is that even if Russia will break in, it might risk itself to get into areas that are much more difficult to defend and amass more losses.
Same is valid for Ukraine if it would try to take back Donbas and Luhansk areas.

JSDD wrote:
Tue, 17. May 22, 11:56
turkey gives nordic countries the middlefinger (regarding nato membership)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROdfcka ... ardianNews
Aparently Turkey already dial back on it saying they won't block it (probably there are some backdoor negotiations for Turkey benefit).

Return to “Off Topic English”