Best i5 Processor for X4

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Slashman
x4

Best i5 Processor for X4

Post by Slashman » Thu, 6. Jan 22, 13:13

So as the topic states: What is the best i5 processor currently for playing X4. I may decide to upgrade a bit later in the year and I was wondering.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

Fishille
x4

Re: Best i5 Processor for X4

Post by Fishille » Thu, 6. Jan 22, 15:31

I haven’t seen any discussion on it, but I imagine the “best” i5 is going to be the latest 12th gen ones. But there’s a huge premium on the platform, due to the DDR5 RAM.

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Thu, 6. Jan 22, 17:07

Slashman wrote:
Thu, 6. Jan 22, 13:13
So as the topic states: What is the best i5 processor currently for playing X4. I may decide to upgrade a bit later in the year and I was wondering.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
What is your budget? What you have at the moment?

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 6. Jan 22, 17:23

Slashman wrote:
Thu, 6. Jan 22, 13:13
Core i5 12600k
  • Intel 12th generation. Significant IPC improvements over previous generations.
  • 6P + 4E configuration. That is 10 cores even if 4 of them are slightly slower and will usually not be used by games.
  • PCIe 5.0 to GPU. No GPU currently exists that takes advantage of this.
  • Supports both DDR4 and DDR5 based on motherboard. Currently it might be best to go with DDR4 due to scalper DDR5 prices.
  • Integrated graphics. Usually will not see much use but it is a feature non the less.
  • Supports overclocking. For what it is worth...
There will be weaker but cheaper i5 alternatives soon, as announced at CES this week. These will not support overclocking and might have some features removed or worsened. There will also be cheaper motherboards to accompany these.

There are competitors from AMD. The R5 5600X is the closest competitor currently. It is significantly weaker but also is cheaper and can use cheaper motherboards making it quite price competitive for now, especially given how little value many of the key features of intel 12th generation currently are.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Thu, 6. Jan 22, 17:44

Fishille wrote:
Thu, 6. Jan 22, 15:31
I haven’t seen any discussion on it, but I imagine the “best” i5 is going to be the latest 12th gen ones. But there’s a huge premium on the platform, due to the DDR5 RAM.
You actually don’t have to use overpriced DDR5.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Thu, 6. Jan 22, 19:01

Well its not so much a question of budget (although) I'm not looking to spend like money grows on trees. The thing is that my current i5 7500 plays all my other games just fine (and there are a lot of those). But I want to be able to push X4 just a bit more in terms of raw frames and maybe not have it slog when it gets to be a huge battles on the screen...not that I'm looking to build a huge armada. I'm more subscribed to the less is more doctrine when it comes to things.

So that's why I'm looking to get an i5 instead of a more expensive i7 or something. Everything else runs great...but X4 is a bit of a CPU hog. I mean I could just as easily settle for an 11th gen as well if that will do the job.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 6. Jan 22, 19:11

This discussion seems more appropriate for Off-Topic, so I'll move it there.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 6. Jan 22, 21:34

Imperial Good wrote:
Thu, 6. Jan 22, 17:23
Core i5 12600k
  • Intel 12th generation. Significant IPC improvements over previous generations.
  • 6P + 4E configuration. That is 10 cores even if 4 of them are slightly slower and will usually not be used by games.
There is also i5-12600KF. The only difference is that F has no IGP.

Does it require Windows 11 to get more reliable scheduling between Ps and Es?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 6. Jan 22, 22:56

jlehtone wrote:
Thu, 6. Jan 22, 21:34
Does it require Windows 11 to get more reliable scheduling between Ps and Es?
From what I can tell the scheduling change is more aimed at background tasks. Processes that are not in focus might be scheduled to the E cores over the P cores on Windows 11 while on Windows 10 this change of focus might not affect scheduling much. Windows 11 was generally found to be fractionally slower in most games due to the overhead from the security enhancements.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Fri, 7. Jan 22, 00:24

maybe theres youtube fps videos?

i think everyone gets low fps during large battles.

there will be more cpus launching this year. i think they might be a bit less power hungry.

i think pauls hardware and others have a list of upcoming cpus.

the latest generation of intel cpus socket 1700 might require a new cpu cooler or an adapter kit for your current cpu cooler. cheaper mainboards might also be releasing.

you might also want to look at your power supply to see if its powerful enough for the cpu.

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Fri, 7. Jan 22, 22:15

Hey folks thanks for all the helpful replies. I will parse this info and then decide what to do.

Return to “Off Topic English”