UK 'Full Fibre' broadband

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Re: UK 'Full Fibre' broadband

Post by Gavrushka » Sat, 15. Jan 22, 16:56

CBJ wrote:
Sat, 15. Jan 22, 10:49
Gavrushka wrote:
Sat, 15. Jan 22, 08:36
I think I must be the only muppet who uses physical ethernet connections wherever I can... I had the electrician install ethernet points in every room...
Nope, me too. If we're muppets, can we be Statler and Waldorf?
That pair have been my role models throughout my adult life, so that's a yes from me.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 20. Jan 22, 17:19

exogenesis wrote:
Thu, 13. Jan 22, 23:50
I don't know how many people here from the UK have upgraded to 'full' fibre.

I'm with BT, & seems to me they've just got 'spammy' with emails about
'upgrade to full fibre 100' (BT Halo 3), for £0 extra a month.
You know, those 'time is running out' style of emails.
No so long ago they wanted more money to do the same.

As a believer in <if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is>,
I was wondering about their motivation.
I'd assume you'd have to read the small print really intently. Such as whether it's a new 2 year contract (or longer?), whether it may be free to upgrade at your current price but if you cancel it's for the new contract duration buy out.

I have 250 up/down with proper fibre; meaning I don't even have line rental (I can have VoIP phone but why bother). It could be 1Gbs if I wanted to pay for it, but I didn't as I've no idea what I'd use it for. The odd time it'd make a difference - such as it could cut major game download times by 1/4, but... I download large games once every few months and the 10 minutes I may save isn't worth £15 a month every month just for the odd occasion.

Main thing with special offers is getting new long contracts signed afaik. I'd assume (without seeing your offer) it's a free upgrade, it's 24 month new contract, and the price rises after 6 months to its normal price... or a combo of those types of things.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Fri, 21. Jan 22, 21:36

You're right it's 24 month contract, but only RPI (+ a small bit) price rises per year,
no sudden hike - as far as I know.

I've read all the small print after Alan pointed out the real difference in what they were offering,
gone for the most 'expensive' £5 extra/month (on top of current ~£60).

Got all the gear already delivered, even has an 'Alexa phone',
not sure what to do with that (haven't got Alexa, can't abide talking computers :))

When I get it installed soon (& assuming fibre exists, or will soon),
will have to think of what the hell to use 900 Mb bandwidth for...

Currently here we've got 5 weeks of bad traffic jams/queues on the busy road outside,
as Virgin does it cable 'roadworks' thing, BT will probably do the same soon (or maybe already have).

Surprised at the proponderance of people saying they would rather have/have-got cabled
ethernet in the house, rather than wifi.
Is that just a reliablility thing, or sticking with the 'devil you know', or the cost of 1Mb+ wifi gear ?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 00:33

Reliability and lack of noise. On my wire there is only my traffic. Even now, past midnight, my phone detects over a dozen Wi-Fi Access Points. Granted, mine have stronger signal and not all APs use same/overlapping channels.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 01:26

I use Ethernet as well, it runs up one side of the house through two ceilings into the loft over to the other side of the house and down through another ceiling into my room, I hate Wifi and I use it only when I have to. I even have my fire TV stick wired up to the Ethernet, as sometimes it would buffer when using Wifi, no such issues with Ethernet.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 22. Jan 22, 13:46

exogenesis wrote:
Fri, 21. Jan 22, 21:36
You're right it's 24 month contract, but only RPI (+ a small bit) price rises per year,
no sudden hike - as far as I know.
RPI is the highest it been for a long time (Dec 5.4%), the little bit is usually 3.5 to 4% so you could be looking at an increase of around 9ish%.
A flower?

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 23. Jan 22, 12:21

Crikey, think mine at full 1Gbs would have been £40, and Hyperoptic claim new customers could have that for £35 a month. Of course, they probably just serve cities. £60 or £65 is a *lot* of money, but its everyone's choice what to spend their money on! :)

The classic of any deal is selling you something you don't need, and won't use (i.e. convincing you to go bigger for a bit more money). Reading small print is always useful, as my example Hyperoptic.. while it's a 2 year contract, that rises to £60 a month after 2 years unless you do something about it. The majority probably won't, so for Hyperoptic you tempt them in with a seemingly great deal (and no line rental cost is a big plus too) and they're probably never going to remember or choose to move as they'll be so hooked on their unnecessarily (at present) super super fast fibre.

The company wants you to take the max possible, as with any service, the average are not likely to remotely need it, so it's just extra money. As for why it was offered, I imagine locking you into a 2 year contract when the competitor is moving into the area and *may* have stolen a customer, was the motivation. Probably the same reason they send any existing customers deals regardless of competitors - locking someone in for 2 years at a slightly lower price vs losing that customer, it's better to grab them again.

Either way, as long as you're happy with what you've got and what you're paying for, then that's all that matters :) It's not always "if an offer is too good...", as long as you've read everything and are happy then all's good. Even then, think you get a 14 day cooling off period under distance (online) selling regulations?

Plusnet, who supply my parents slow "fibre", recently said they were out of contract and may not be getting the best deal now (I pay for their internet). Funnily enough, it'd cost me £1 more per month and lock me into a 24 month contract if I follow plusnet's advice. I think i'll stick to the out-of-contract current pricing unless something changes; I can cancel with a months notice and therefore zero charges, while also saving a quid. The saving isn't the issue, it's that 2 year "you'll have to pay a forfeit" lock-in I'm sidestepping. It's completely unnecessary to lock my parents into 2 years of plusnet for absolutely zero gain.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Tue, 8. Feb 22, 00:54

Yeah, guess it's relatively expensive c.f. say minimal fibre @ say 150 Mbps,
but seems reasonable value, if you (/I) actually use the bandwidth.

Got it installed today & measured at 891 Mbps (ethernet cabled),
BT engineer took a photo of the speed-test screen since it was the fastest he'd seen.

Just paid £50 for a faster (than 10 yr old) wi-fi PCI card should give maybe 500, he says hopefully.

Just got to figure out what to use it for
(thought maybe I ought to go & buy 10 kids who play online game all day or something)

Return to “Off Topic English”