Wordle, a Daily Frustration.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Wordle, a Daily Frustration.

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 20. Feb 22, 09:45

For those who've not tried, it's a word game where you have up to six attempts to guess a 5 letter word, with each attempt identify which letters are correct and in the right position/in the wrong position. There's also an alphabet at the bottom showing which letters have been eliminated.

I struggle with it, mainly due to fixating on a particular word structure, but even the intellectually decayed, such as me, have a decent chance of success each day. - I've failed one in several weeks, but often scraped in on the last attempt.

Well, today's for me was:

Wordle 246 5/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟨⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

The yellow are correct letters in the wrong place, the white letters which are not in the word, and the green are correct letters in the right place.

The link is https://www.nytimes.com/games/wordle/index.html for anyone who wants to try it. - Some cookies will be necessary so winning streaks can be tracked. - You can share the results on any forum or social media platform with just an auto cut then paste.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: Wordle, a Daily Frustration.

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 20. Feb 22, 11:27

Wordle 246 5/6

🟩⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And yes, it was frustrating. Already on the fourth try I had to use a letter that was eliminated before, because I couldn't think of any other suitable word. 5th guess was really just that, I didn't even know for certain that this is a word in the English language. :gruebel: Meanwhile Wordle was in disagreement with me over a word I know exists. Probably for the better that the dictionary is limited in some way, though.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sun, 20. Feb 22, 11:31

Remember, Wordle is in American, not English.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 20. Feb 22, 11:36

Heh, I once bought a fiendishly difficult puzzle and cypher book here in the UK without noticing it's origins in the USA. I was so frustrated when some of the word answers just didn't fit the clues because "We don't spell it that way!"

I suppose it added a whole new level of difficulty to the puzzles, so perhaps I should have been grateful. :wink:

EDIT: Oh, and I suppose my usage of 'cypher' and not 'cipher' may be an example.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 20. Feb 22, 11:39

That is another constant source of frustration, especially as many of our six letter words are reduced (butchered) to five in US English.

And as for alooooooooooominum... :shock:

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Sun, 20. Feb 22, 13:48

246 5/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨⬜⬜⬜🟩
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟨🟨⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Gaah got there in the end Ugly little thing.
I was starting to thing I broke it.
It's not a turn if it's not a word.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 20. Feb 22, 13:52

Um, but doing that gains you nothing because it doesn't show what letters are correct and it just tells you "Don't know that word?".

Took me 5 guesses on this one--I actually knew the middle three letters by the third guess, but turns out there are at least two English five-letter words with the same letters in the middle!
Spoiler
Show
For reference, I guessed "FACIA" before the correct answer "TACIT".

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 20. Feb 22, 16:11

pjknibbs wrote:
Sun, 20. Feb 22, 13:52
Um, but doing that gains you nothing because it doesn't show what letters are correct and it just tells you "Don't know that word?".

Took me 5 guesses on this one--I actually knew the middle three letters by the third guess, but turns out there are at least two English five-letter words with the same letters in the middle!
Spoiler
Show
For reference, I guessed "FACIA" before the correct answer "TACIT".
Spoiler
Show
I started with ALOUD, then messed up on the third with a word which only contained one of the two discovered letters.

So: ALOUD-STEAM-WEARY-CHINA-TACIT
What I find, is it's the letters eliminated which help me most. - I've never won in less than three attempts, and usually end up with 5 or 6 attempts before success.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 20. Feb 22, 17:09

Never ever done one, didn't realise the spoiler was going to be the answer for all as I assumed it generated one for everyone, not one per day :o

Needless to say, start with a word that contains as many vowels/common letters as possible, and at that moment it was a "hang on, chances of first/last letters and another letter in wrong place in someone else's answer on the forum?! Can only be good if it's all same word..." - second guess success for ENTIRELY the wrong reason.

Not sure it appeals to me. I really like sudoku, not sure i'll catch on with this though :D

At least now I understand why you show white blocks/green blocks etc instead of actual words :D :D

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 20. Feb 22, 17:15

Chips wrote:
Sun, 20. Feb 22, 17:09
Never ever done one, didn't realise the spoiler was going to be the answer for all as I assumed it generated one for everyone, not one per day :o
If it worked that way I wouldn't have needed to spoiler it!

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 20. Feb 22, 19:19

Chips wrote:
Sun, 20. Feb 22, 17:09
Not sure it appeals to me. I really like sudoku, not sure i'll catch on with this though :D
If you like Sudoku and are interested in the general idea, try Squardle: https://fubargames.se/squardle/ It doesn't quite have the elegant simplicity of Wordle, but the deductive reasoning works a lot more like Sudoku on top of Wordle's basic rules. May make your head hurt though.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Mon, 21. Feb 22, 00:34

Hey it was my first wordle I was working out the system

my first list might appear a bit random but with the QWERTY eliminator I now have a grasp of it.
Spoiler
Show
OBOES-CRYPT-QUILT-MATCH-TACIT

focused on the lock for the third then trying an alternate position of C.
Then with the combined and probable positions it was brute a known word

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 21. Feb 22, 07:41

Worst case scenario for me is several yellows on the first go. - My brain simply locks up. :oops:

Wordle 247 5/6

⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
⬜🟨🟨🟩⬜
🟩⬜⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yeah, the alphabet at the bottom is where I get most of my hints, but with nothing eliminated on that first attempt, I end up just staring with my mouth hanging open. Not a pleasant sight...

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Mon, 21. Feb 22, 11:17

Wordle 247 3/6

⬜🟨🟨⬜🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Aw I was just settling in when it finished :o :roll:

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 21. Feb 22, 11:21

red assassin wrote:
Sun, 20. Feb 22, 19:19
If you like Sudoku and are interested in the general idea, try Squardle: https://fubargames.se/squardle/ It doesn't quite have the elegant simplicity of Wordle, but the deductive reasoning works a lot more like Sudoku on top of Wordle's basic rules. May make your head hurt though.
Tried this and got the correct answer on the current puzzle with about 6 guesses to spare, but I can't say I'd quite got my head around the rules by the time I did so!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 21. Feb 22, 19:30

Wordle 247 6/6

🟨⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟨
⬜⬜🟨🟩🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Not as frustrating as the first, still a guess more than before.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 22. Feb 22, 06:43

What are the chances? An anagram on attempt two!

Wordle 248 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler contains my route.
Spoiler
Show
FIEND-NORTH-THORN

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 22. Feb 22, 06:51

Silly question, how are you guys producing the letterless grids you're showing?

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 22. Feb 22, 06:56

pjknibbs wrote:
Tue, 22. Feb 22, 06:51
Silly question, how are you guys producing the letterless grids you're showing?
Ah, I think you *might* need to enable popups. - When I finish, a small overlay screen appears with a 'share' option. - Sharing copies it to your clipboard, and it pastes as the basic character set, so will go anywhere.

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Tue, 22. Feb 22, 12:10

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 22. Feb 22, 06:43
What are the chances? An anagram on attempt two!

Wordle 248 3/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler contains my route.
Spoiler
Show
FIEND-NORTH-THORN
Well Done

Myself Another 3
Wordle 248 3/6

⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨