StarTrek: Picard - season 2

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

StarTrek: Picard - season 2

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 4. Mar 22, 22:41

Season 2 of "StarTrek: Picard" started on Prime today. Another 10 epsiodes, with a new one being released every Friday.

Im not really sure what to think of the first episode. Opinion with spoilers ahead:
Picard - The Star Gazer
Show
The introduction / build-up felt rather long. I know some time has passed and they want to explain what happened to everyone since season 1, but if you only have ten episodes maybe spending the complete first one on the introduction is not best idea!?

Seeing the "crew" from season 1 on the Stargazer felt good, also having a proper space ship again. Guinan cameo was nice, too. :)

The return of the Borg was kind of meh. The Federation is worried enough to send a whole fleet of ships - as it should be - but then the people in command come up with the great plan of "talking". :roll: Opening fire and analysing the debris is what you do when encountering the Borg. (Pretty sure that's taught in lesson one in space combat tactics at the Academy.) Unless, there's another alien race in the very same sector from another dimension that you cannot kill on your own. Then, and only then, talking is permitted. (That's probably taught a bit later.) Also Star Fleet integrating Borg technology into their own ships while still being afraid of the Borg is so stupid that it is believable again. Humans tend to do stupid things like that.

The return of Q, oh my goodness. I hope it's really just to create another universe / timeline and the interaction with Q is limited, while the story progresses mostly without him. I think in TNG 6x15 "Tapestry", in which Picard died before, the interaction was also limited, and that episode was okayish. Meanwhile, the first association with Q's appearance I had was that of a Goa'uld System lord. (I'm looking at you Ba'al.)

Anyway, I'm somewhat intrigued and somewhat put off by the first episode. Let's see what episode 2 brings.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

exogenesis
x4

Re: StarTrek: Picard - season 2

Post by exogenesis » Sat, 5. Mar 22, 11:17

Had no inkling this series was going to be made, ep. 1 suddenly turned up yesterday
Spoiler
Show
Was quite enjoying the overall story & ambience of this (re)intro,
right up until the dreaded - oh fk, it's bleedin' Q, bugger :S
Sod it, that's really kicked it out of being taken 'seriously'

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Sun, 6. Mar 22, 23:31

Season one did its hardest to leave me unimpressed. The ship design was way off TNG, LCARS seemed to me like the makers wanted to show me their vision of the upcoming brave new Metaverse and the story was thinner than the average DS9 episode in my opinion. To sum it up: it wasn't the nerdgasm I hoped for.
So, my excitement for a second season is - limited.
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 7. Mar 22, 07:20

The ship design being "way off TNG" doesn't seem like a problem to me, given the whole thing is supposed to be set 30 years later--you'd expect some design changes to have occurred over that time? It always struck me as off that people are still knocking around in Excelsior class ships in the original TNG series, a design that was getting on for a century old at the time! It would be like a modern navy deploying a WW1 dreadnought battleship as part of their mainline fleet.

[EDIT] I just watched the first episode and I quite liked it. Fair bit of fanservice, true, and I think Guinan's cameo was a bit misplaced, but Q's brief appearance was actually quite cool and made me look forward to episode 2. Although, it's now even *more* odd that the actual Excelsior is still knocking around in 2401--are Starfleet so strapped for raw materials they have to keep using old hulls for 116 years?

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Sat, 12. Mar 22, 14:15

Second episode was entertaining if nothing else. It's a lot better than Discovery (not missing that at all).
A flower?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 12. Mar 22, 18:55

I think they must be contractually obliged to include at least one episode to show off Patrick Stewart's acting chops in each season--last time it was him playing the guy who was "selling" 7 of 9, this season we have the evil General! I'd have to agree that Picard, for all its faults, beats Discovery into a cocked hat, though, maybe because they remembered to have main characters with actual charisma.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Sat, 12. Mar 22, 21:30

Thought this series started OK, right up until Q turned up. Hate that character, nearly didn't bother watching the second episode, but I did. Not sure about the rest of this series. The first series was great, I thought.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 13. Mar 22, 17:35

Epsiode 2 was okayish.
Picard - Penance
Show
Q's appearance was reasonable short. I hope it stays that way.

The changed reality / timeline story is okay. Usually these time travel and / or mirrored universe episodes are quite fun. Although I have to say I wouldn't have done it as the second season. Considering that StarTrek: Picard is set 20 years or so after StarTrek: Nemesis I‘d rather if they tell us stories and explore the changes of the universe since then. Just as they did with the first season.

2024 as the mentioned date for Q‘s interference brings us reasonably close to the start of World War 3. I wonder if they go that route of technology interference happening then or if it‘s just the first of several interferences that happened.

As for the return of the Borg queen that was actually quite cool and begs the question whether there will be some kind of connection to the first episode after all.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Sun, 13. Mar 22, 18:23

Just as a heads up, they've recently completed filming on the third and final season.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 14. Mar 22, 19:37

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that. Then the chances increase that we'll see a good end to Picard's storyline, after all.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Wed, 6. Apr 22, 22:14

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Mon, 14. Mar 22, 19:37
Then the chances increase that we'll see a good end to Picard's storyline, after all.
Your optimism is over 9000. :roll:

MFG

Ketraar

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 18. Apr 22, 06:37

I've watched the first five episodes and just ain't feeling it. Just went over to IMDB to check out the audience ratings for episodes 6 and 7 to see if there's much hope, and oh dear. We have a 6.3 and a 5.4, the lowest rated episodes of the season yet...don't think I'll bother watching those!

Somebody really needs to sit the producers of this show down and gently remind them that, for all the characters and so on, Star Trek is a series set in the future. In spaceships. That fly around in space. Episodes set entirely on the ground are half as interesting. Episodes set in the modern day are half as interesting again. When you put both those things together *and* try to make an entire series out of it, well, luck is not likely to be with you.

Return to “Off Topic English”