Did Something Change? (Larian Studios)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Did Something Change? (Larian Studios)

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 13. Mar 22, 11:38

With an hour or two to kill this Sunday morning, I thought I'd try with Divinity Original Sin II on Steam, and tried loading it. Rather than taking me to the start screen, as it always has before, I'm now being asked to create an account with Larian before being granted access. Now I've not signed or agreed to any changes, so if this really is the case, I'm wondering if it's legal to do it retrospectively.

What I'm asking is if I'm just misinterpreting matters. If I'm not, I'm a little unhappy.

*edit* ah, there is a skip option if you proceed past the 'getting started' screen.

But they're still gits!
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Did Something Change? (Larian Studios)

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 13. Mar 22, 11:41

See this Steam thread here - but, as always, any workarounds you may try are unvouched for by me and at your own risk.

Oh, you may have solved it anyway.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 13. Mar 22, 12:09

It felt sharp and intrusive, its intent to convince the user there was no option other than to sign up, but indeed by starting the procedure of opening account there was a less than obvious option to 'skip' on a subsequent screen.

I guess it's the new normal for many game studios now, and it's just me who is a little reluctant to accept it.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 13. Mar 22, 14:56

There is a skip button, you just need to click on the first button, then there is a skip button. After that, it should not prompt you for creating an account. Can't say I like the new change either. But at least you aren't forced to making one.
=

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Sun, 13. Mar 22, 17:45

matthewfarmery wrote:
Sun, 13. Mar 22, 14:56
There is a skip button, you just need to click on the first button, then there is a skip button. After that, it should not prompt you for creating an account. Can't say I like the new change either. But at least you aren't forced to making one.
Ah, yes, I eventually found that, but it is indeed hidden behind the 'getting started' button which gives the impression there are no options beforehand. Did leave me with a sour taste...

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 13. Mar 22, 19:06

Would have been better if the skip button had been on the front page, and not hidden by a button. The way it looks just makes it look like the account requirement is forced, and no way around it. Still, at least there is a skip button. Just don't like the way that its been done.
=

Return to “Off Topic English”