Inflation

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Redvers Ganderpoke

Inflation

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 10:05

We seem to getting a rather parochial view from the media in the UK regarding inflation, you have to look for information about other countries. If you read the headlines you'd be under the impression that it was something unique to the UK. Looking at the data it is a worldwide problem mainly fueled (pun intended) by energy prices and hangover from covid.
I was wondering if this is the same in everybody's country's press or whether it is unique to the UK.
A flower?

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Inflation

Post by mr.WHO » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 10:58

Well, if you don't live under the rock, or watch ony one TV channel/news source, it's pretty much obvious that inflation is global.
Vast amount of countries having 7+ % and only handful few staying below it.

Having 2+ years of lockdown (much less production) connected
with vast money printing (e.g. 80% the dollar volume we have right now, has been pumped into economy in last 2 years, similar, but to lesser extend with Euro, GBP and many other currencies)

Then having a war between two major food exporters, where one is vast gas/oil exporter doesn't help either.

Still, the media try to put full blame on the war now, but inflation was already record high before the war.

Most of it is simply due to insane money printing.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 12:47

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 13. Apr 22, 10:58
Most of it is simply due to insane money printing.
and the european central bank still doesnt raise interest rates because many of southern europes countries have high nationan debts values
so there is a dilemma:
* either the ECB raises interest to combat inflation (and southern countries go to the bring of bankrupcy) ...
* or interest rates remain unchanged (thats what we see now) and inflation will go through the roof over time (and money can be used to wipe your *ss clean ^^)
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 16:46

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 13. Apr 22, 10:58
Snip.....
I don't really need a lesson, i remember inflation at higher rates than this and interest rates at 15%.
A flower?

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 22:04

Makes me think of the late 70's a little. I wonder how long until the power cuts start happening? Which would for me be a silver lining, as I am an amateur astronomer! Don't suppose it will get that bad, at least here in the UK though. ( Unfortunately... :roll: )
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 13. Apr 22, 22:39

I listened to a couple on the TV today being interviewed about their opinions on the inflation, energy and cost of living increases (UK). The wife said something like "It's really terrible, we now have to think about turning off lights when not needed, only boiling the water we need, and having shallow baths and short showers. We've never had to do anything like that before."

That left me thinking 'WHY didn't you think about all that before? - I certainly always have done. Maybe I'm just inherently tight and don't like waste though. (I do like a nice deep hot bath now and again though.) :D
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 14. Apr 22, 23:06

Yup, inflation is pretty bad here in the US. I think Covid, combined with trillions of dollars being generated out of thin air to distribute to the masses in order to compensate for the economic disruption, might be a significant contributing cause.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 15. Apr 22, 09:29

One more major factor - prolonged lockdowns in China - it sux when global production is put in one, not-so democratic country.

Thus we not only have pump of empty money printing, but material goods supply is also smaller.

oh, and this will also screw the shipping/transport logistic as well - there are currently a sh*tloads of empty container ships stting idle across major ports in Asia and a few other port hubs in the world.

Globalism "just in time, cheapest stuff avaliable" at it's best :P

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 15. Apr 22, 09:36

mr.WHO wrote:
Fri, 15. Apr 22, 09:29
Globalism "just in time, cheapest stuff avaliable" at it's best :P
Being kind of a treehugger myself I really hope that there will be some lessons learned in that regard.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Return to “Off Topic English”