Warning for Thunderbird users

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

matthewfarmery
x3

Warning for Thunderbird users

Post by matthewfarmery » Wed, 5. Oct 22, 13:12

I just wanted to do a quick warning for any users of thunderbird email client. It has updated for me to 102.3.1. The problem is, when I start thunderbird, the layout is messed up, I have multiple inboxes on different email accounts, and seems that I also lost emails (I hope that is temporary)

There are a few complaints on the thunderbird support forum about this and other issues, like not being able to send or receive emails. I just hope this is a temporary issue and will be fixed. My advice is to use another email client in the meantime or don't use thunderbird until this is fixed.

How this problem got through their Q&A I don't know. But its not good at all.

EDIT

After a bit of time and restarting thunderbird, as repairing the inboxes, I have managed to restore most of my email accounts. But the fact that it has happened at all, is really annoying.

Best advice is, keep restarting thunderbird, and do a repair on each inbox, (right click on the inbox folder, then properties, then repair, also disable check new emails at startup, (tools / account settings / server settings for each email account.

After a bit of work, It seems to have done the trick.
=

Praefectus classis
x4

Re: Warning for Thunderbird users

Post by Praefectus classis » Wed, 5. Oct 22, 22:09

Thanks for the info. Mine is on 102.3.0. and I've just taken off the automatic update off for the moment. My folders seem ok on this version.
Reality is an illusion created by a lack of the X-universe
My new forum My original forum

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Thu, 6. Oct 22, 04:44

Praefectus classis wrote:
Wed, 5. Oct 22, 22:09
Thanks for the info. Mine is on 102.3.0. and I've just taken off the automatic update off for the moment. My folders seem ok on this version.
That's what I just did as well, setting it to manual until I know more.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Thu, 6. Oct 22, 12:52

I would also make a backup of thunderbird's email profiles,

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

(X's is a random number that thunderbird generates)

At least then, you have a backup if anything goes wrong.

I did manage to fix the problem after half an hour after doing rebuild folder and many restarts. I don't think it's a case of a bad update, especailly when others have reported the same issue. Anyway, I checked my emails today and all my accounts seem to be in order, but man, it was a real mess yesterday. Pretty nearly panicked as I would have lost a lot of emails in the process) (I am using IMAP, so when I checked the emails online, they were there, so its must be a protocol issue, or something else goofed up in the process.

But yeah, probably a good idea to disable auto update for thunderbird, and wait for another update before trying again.
=

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Fri, 7. Oct 22, 11:37

Another small heads up, Thunderbird has been updated to 102.3.2, yet the above problem that I have mentioned, is far from being fixed, more users have reported that this update has broken things as well. Interesting mind, but for me, seems to be once only, as the new update seems fine. So there something odd with the recent updatea, but seems fine once you manage to fix it.

But yeah, best advice is hold off from updating to these versions, I do hope that the devs can figure out what is wrong, I will try and update this thread if I get more info, for the mo, you should visit

https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/thunderbird

That at least gives you some idea of the issues. Not a good sign really, as I really do like Thunderbird, also this seems to effect both IMAP and PoP 3 accounts. (and would be very crippling if you are on a POP 3 account.
=

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Fri, 7. Oct 22, 14:31

I only use it because I don't want to pay for Outlook and the mail client that comes with Windows is bare minimum :D Apart from the search function being difficult to use it's a perfectly serviceable program. At least, it was.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 7. Oct 22, 15:05

I *did* pay for Outlook, back in 2007, still using that version! I just like the calendar functionality it offers on top of the basic e-mail stuff.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Fri, 7. Oct 22, 19:39

Just got aksed to download 102.3.2,
do we know if it's safe to back in the water yet?
Just read the post above - guess not

Just seen I'm on 102.3.1 already, but not seeing any problems
but then I've just got a single simple account set up.

why is the forum so slow recently ?

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Fri, 7. Oct 22, 20:17

I've got 2 accounts, on Hotmail and Gmail. I'm just glad I saw this topic before updating so I'm still on 102.3.0.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 7. Oct 22, 21:14

"why is the forum so slow recently ?" server-side issue, devs aware and on the case.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 7. Oct 22, 23:02

Alan Phipps wrote:
Fri, 7. Oct 22, 21:14
"why is the forum so slow recently ?" server-side issue, devs aware and on the case.
Not fed the hamsters again?

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Wed, 9. Nov 22, 17:00

Did we ever get to the bottom of this? Latest is Version 102.4.1, first offered to channel users on October 26, 2022.

Return to “Off Topic English”