Podcasts

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

berth
x4

Podcasts

Post by berth » Sat, 12. Nov 22, 22:36

They're a thing, apparently.

I listen to quite a few while I'm working and am always on the lookout for recommendations. My current faves are:

The Rest is History - Historians Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook chat about a wide range of subjects, from a discussion about the year 1981 to the rise of Babylon. Often hilarious banter and very engaging/informative. My favourite.

We Have Ways of Making You Talk - Comedian/history geek Al Murray (aka The Pub Landlord) and historian James Holland (brother of Tom as it happens) ramble on about all things WW2, although focussing mainly on the Western front. Some excellent guests also.

The Rest is Politics - Former UK Conservative MP Rory Stewart and Tony Blair's ex-spin doctor Alistair Campbell talk about current affairs, UK politics (plenty there) and global issues. Politically centre right and centre left respectively, they most often find common ground. I wasn't sure about either of them to start with but they're winning me round.

Off Menu - Comedians James Acaster and Ed Gamble invite their guest, often one of their comedy pals, to their dream restaurant to choose their dream meal. Acaster is a genie waiter so you can choose whatever you fancy. Frequently laugh out-loud funny, often quite sweary.

There are a few others I listen to but I'll stop there.

clakclak
x3

Re: Podcasts

Post by clakclak » Mon, 14. Nov 22, 22:04

berth wrote:
Sat, 12. Nov 22, 22:36
[...]

The Rest is History - Historians Tom Holland and Dominic Sandbrook chat about a wide range of subjects, from a discussion about the year 1981 to the rise of Babylon. Often hilarious banter and very engaging/informative. My favourite.[...]
The rest is History is a really good podcast.

As for other ones, I would recommand EONS: Mysteries of Deep Time. It is produced by the people behind PBS Eons and focuses on natural history. The target audience here is very clearly mainstream, but I personally still very much enjoy the episodes for their calm delivery.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Return to “Off Topic English”