Unexpected computer issue...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

Unexpected computer issue...

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 06:45

Very weird thing happened. My display went dead (I only have one monitor attached) and a no signal detected message flashed off. - Keyboard lights still reacted to presses, and the hard disk lights were working, along with all the software controlled lights in the case (including on the graphic card.) I tried powering on/off the monitor, but it came back to a blank display (after no signal message.)

Anyhow, I did a soft reboot and it came on fine. ( I have fastboot enabled, and also the PC has taken to a very fast display-off on power-up since a recent update (no input from me) but pressing a key always reactivated it then.) - I installed the most recent Win 11 cumulative update last night.

Should I be worried, or should I check anything? - As I write this, I'm noting very occasional microflutters of the Graphic card lights, but I believe that's always been the case. PSU is way oversized for the system requirements, and the card (3070) has twin power inputs.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Gavrushka
x4

Re: Unexpected computer issue...

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 06:54

And, just to add, a couple of weeks ago my PC went into sleep mode when I was away from it for a while, but I've just checked and the PC was set to sleep 'never' although the display was set to go hibernate after 20 minutes. (I'd been using it when it switched itself off earlier.) - I've since set the display to never switch off.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Ormac
x4

Post by Ormac » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 07:28

I might try reinstalling the Graphic Driver.
That might be just to restore the CUDA functionality of the card.
As I think Microsoft might used a stripped out version of the drivers in their Cumlitive Updates on occassion.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 08:31

Press windows key and type reliability and click on view reliability history.

Can press windows key + x and click on event viewer. See if there's anything bad in there.

Press windows key + x and click on device manager. Gpu show up ok?

Run a ram test. Can just use the windows quick test if you want but there's more thorough tests and even different windows test settings. Press windows key and type memory diagnostic and click on the diagnostic test. watch the result since you'll have to go through some steps to see the results otherwise.

Any diagnostic lights on on the mainboard?

Your gpu overclocked? Might be heating up in one spot? You mine with your gpu? Could be other gpu stuff.

Fast boot in the bios or fast start up in windows?

Any overclocks?

Could be nothing just an odd occurrence?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 11:17

It sounds as though your monitor is good (it can't display what isn't sent to it), but your PC officially going to sleep if you have set it not to is an issue. On that first incident when you were active anyway, I take it that the usual sleep-recovery method did not work. If so, that is probably a further issue. There might be clues in DxDiag, event viewer or the graphics card monitoring and logging system.

A system clean-up of fans, vents, filters, etc never goes amiss. Obviously driver and OS updates are relevant too. It may be worth a check and exercise of connecting cables, plugs and sockets, etc. It might be as simple as a faulty display cable, or a cable to your graphics card.

If your system is still under warranty and the issues persist, I would talk to your supplier's support department. That might end up, unfortunately, with an RMA action. If it is not under warranty then frankly I would just keep using it until (if ever) the point where it gets so bad that you might consider having to get it properly and commercially investigated.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 16:36

Had a similar thing, mainly with my work laptop, but also other items of low power cpus. Exactly the same, turn it on - just shows lights on mouse/keyboard, nothing do display on monitor so goes to sleep, can't seem to wake. Hard reboot, works fine. Both a laptop and a small form factor all-in-one box pc Asus P50 or 51.

Should say experienced several issues under win 11 recently - including that Crusader Kings 3 would crash by freezing... and if you hard reboot too quickly you run into problems. Leaving it a minute or two I heard a sound, reboot and is fine but lost my monitor settings. The reason for that is because Windows reinstalled driver to a default generic instead of AMD. Never had that issue in any other game.

No idea about any of the issues, but you're not alone ;)

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 2. Feb 23, 17:04

Lots of great advice, and even a teaspoon of sympathy. Thank you!

I paid for a very long 'everything included' warranty, and that still has plenty of time on it, so if there's a cost option, it's covered.

I'll go through all the suggestions this weekend, but from the flickering I'm occasionally seeing from the graphics card, I'm thinking power cable reseating/replacement. (LED colours of card are linked to the temperature, so I know it's not overheating, and I'm underclocked if anything - fps limit =48.)

Otherwise, I'll go through all the other suggestions and tests this weekend, and hopefully see it sorted.

O/T, forever helping me out, no matter what the issue.

So, yeah, thanks again! :)

Return to “Off Topic English”