TIL that condeser dryers are a ting...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

grapedog
x4

TIL that condeser dryers are a ting...

Post by grapedog » Mon, 13. Mar 23, 18:04

I just moved to spain a few months ago, and I have a dryer passed on to me just recently, and I didn't know that condenser dryers were a thing. I'd never even heard of them, and I'm in my 40's and been doing my own laundry for a few decades.

Well this last load of laundry, I'd been struggling with completing for a solid day... it would run for a few then shut off. I had no idea what the symbols meant, or why it was stopping. Over the course of the past two days I've been really really struggling... but finally today I hit up the google to try and get some answers and within like 20 minutes I found my dryer, found the specs, looked up condenser dryers, found the giant totally full water reservoir, emptied it... and I think I'm ok now.

For the amount of time I wasted on cleaning the radiator thingy and drying out the compartments, I somehow missed the gigantic water reservoir...

I learned something new at least, I'll consider this a win in the end.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: TIL that condeser dryers are a ting...

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 13. Mar 23, 21:04

Condenser tumbledriers tend to have two water disposal modes which involve water being pumped out of a non-removable internal reservoir tank - but please check the manual for your model:

1. It empties internally into a clear removable tank in the door and you can see the water level there to empty that before it overflows back into the drier.

2. You can attach a hosepipe to the outlet of the internal reservoir and, instead of filling the door tank, the water drains to where you take the other end of the hosepipe.

Both methods can go wrong if the lint filter (removable for cleaning) in the door or the heat exchanger (a big plastic foil and metal lattice affair inside the base of the drier that is removable for cleaning) is blocked with fluff. Another issue is if the heater that warms the airflow has its intake grill and heating element array stuffed with fluff (usually a bit burnt by then) as then the air flow doesn't get hot and the drier doesn't dry well but keeps cutting out because the heating element sensor sees the element overheating. The symptom for any or all of these is the drier cutting out, the back of the drier getting *very* hot to the touch, the lint filter and heat exchanger all getting covered in soaking wet fluff, and/or burning fluff smells.

One thing I found is that the bond between the two halves of the clear plastic tank in the door can be poor, The join starts to fail with age and use and then water from the tank drips back into the heat exchanger. You can order replacement door tanks for most models.

Enjoy your drier. I have stopped using mine for now as the electricity used is just too expensive for what drying benefit you get from it.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “Off Topic English”