Trump - Criminal Prosecution

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

matthewfarmery
x3

Re: Trump - Criminal Procecution

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 6. May 23, 09:20

I seen an extract of Trumps video deposition, where he defending his remarks about the Hollywood access tape. I think that will certainly sink him. reading it gives you one impression, but to actually see him say it, and in such a manner, is just mind blowing. Plus having zero defence. But yeah, he won't show up, because his lawyers will be desperate to keep him off the stand. While the prosecution will have a field day pushing his buttons and make him perjury himself. Which will sink him even more.

Trump is toast in this case, but wish was was criminal, would have hurt him even more.
=

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 6. May 23, 14:48

Seems Joe Tacopina is starting to get a taste of what Trump is like, he said this on Thursday to the judge,
“I know you understand what I am dealing with,” Trump’s attorney Joe Tacopina told Senior U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan during a sidebar conference on Thursday.
I guess that means that Joe's checks are starting to bounce back. He should have done his research before he took up that vile POS to begin with. Sure Trump has the right to legal representation. But Trump is not the kind of person any sane lawyer should have.

I suspect Joe career will get ruined as a result. Then again, I also say this, it serves you right as well, you should have done more research on the guy, and you shouldn't have made a total fool of yourself when you been trying to defend him on TV. You get what you pay for. So yeah, your fired!! (or will be real soon!!!!) :lol:
=

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 6. May 23, 17:54

That Joe Tacopina is also Trump's lawyer in the Stormy Daniels criminal case, the problem is he could be in pretty serious trouble as he stated that he didn't know, had ever met or even had dealings with Stephanie A. Gregory Clifford (AKA Stormy Daniels) but it turns out he had given her a consultation several years ago, meaning he knows her, had met her and had dealings with her, which makes him ineligible to be a lawyer in a case against her, as it raises a possible conflict of interest as he may know confidential things that could possibly be used against her.

That Hollywood access tape deposition statement is cringeworthy, you just have to look at the amount of famous people from the era of the supposed rape that have got into trouble for sexual assaults, means back then a lot of them did think it was okay. But it also does remove any doubt that it was just locker room banter, he was one of those that thought and because of the deposition still does think it is acceptable.

I also got to thinking the reason behind his visit last week to Scotland and Ireland could be because he might not be allowed entry into the UK if he loses this trial, as the UK plus most other places including the US, don't allow sexual predator's entry visa applications are normally refused, I could be wrong as that may just be for anyone with a criminal conviction not to sure if a civil conviction also counts, but I think it should, so we will just have to wait and see.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 6. May 23, 18:33

Then again, if Joe Tacopina might get fired from this case, then he I suspect he will be fired full stop from any future cases, so I suspect his dealings with Trump will be less. But you are right, if he did represent Trump in the Stormy Daniels case, it would be a conflict of interest, which maybe is what Trump was banking on. So the judge in that case should have the powers to remove him?

But you might be right about the reason why he didn't come to England, then again, I had a feeling he wasn't invited anyway, he flew to Scotland to try and get away from all the publicity, only to head straight back into it.

Still you do make a good point if he is found guilty, as he will get the label rapist. So its possible that he travel space will be severely reduced. But as it still a civil case in nature, again, its hard to say. But I think regardless, having the term rapist applied to him, will make it very hard to go places. Then his world will get smaller and smaller.
=

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sat, 6. May 23, 18:38

matthewfarmery wrote:
Sat, 6. May 23, 18:33
Then again, if Joe Tacopina might get fired from this case, then he I suspect he will be fired full stop from any future cases, so I suspect his dealings with Trump will be less. But you are right, if he did represent Trump in the Stormy Daniels case, it would be a conflict of interest, which maybe is what Trump was banking on. So the judge in that case should have the powers to remove him?

But you might be right about the reason why he didn't come to England, then again, I had a feeling he wasn't invited anyway, he flew to Scotland to try and get away from all the publicity, only to head straight back into it.

Still you do make a good point if he is found guilty, as he will get the label rapist. So its possible that he travel space will be severely reduced. But as it still a civil case in nature, again, its hard to say. But I think regardless, having the term rapist applied to him, will make it very hard to go places. Then his world will get smaller and smaller.
Edit, it's not just sexual assault on girls, but young boys too, the famous one is Jimmy Savile, after that investigation, it turned up a lot of worms. Sadly, quite a few people in that era were up to no good. But yes, that interview was cringe worthy indeed. as Trump clearly didn't realise or diddn't care that the interview was going to be used against him, and he sounded that he was proud doing that stuff. So really an admission of guilt.
=

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sat, 6. May 23, 23:25

If the lard ass fires his lawyer, it'll just be an attempt at delaying the trials. Which likely will succeed as no judge will even attempt at moving this case forward if he doesn't have representation, especially due to the high profile of it all.
The Future is Progressive!
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 7. May 23, 00:17

They could always just give him a lowly public defender. :)

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Sun, 7. May 23, 00:40

not for civil cases. That right is only extended to criminal cases.
rebellionpac.com
Fight white supremacy, fight corporate influence, fight for the rights of all peoples!

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Sun, 7. May 23, 09:33

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sat, 6. May 23, 23:25
If the lard ass fires his lawyer, it'll just be an attempt at delaying the trials. Which likely will succeed as no judge will even attempt at moving this case forward if he doesn't have representation, especially due to the high profile of it all.
I guess we shouldn't be giving him any ideas, but then again, I wouldn't put it past Trump to do exactly this. As he will find one excuse to say that "Joe Tacopina represented me badly, despite wanting to appear, he told me no". But I was thinking that Joe Tacopina would get fired after the trial, when the checks start bouncing.

As Trump will be ever so pissed if he loses this. As it will also brand him as a loser. And we all know he hates been known as a loser. Anyway, the deadline for appearing is today, but Trump wont take it.
=

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 7. May 23, 18:39

Vertigo 7 wrote:
Sun, 7. May 23, 00:40
not for civil cases. That right is only extended to criminal cases.
I thought we were talking about his criminal cases, as his current civil case is all but over unless he wants to take the stand, which I doubt very much he does. So tomorrow Monday his lawyer will have to make his closing argument, so if Trump was to sack him I think the judge would just say too late and get on with it.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 8. May 23, 17:56

So much for him standing up to her (Carroll) the closing statements are being made and there was never a hint of Trump showing up. I have a question, Carroll is wanting monetary damages and that Trump retracts his statements about her, so what happens if he loses but says screw you and refuses to do either?

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 8. May 23, 18:22

felter wrote:
Mon, 8. May 23, 17:56
So much for him standing up to her (Carroll) the closing statements are being made and there was never a hint of Trump showing up. I have a question, Carroll is wanting monetary damages and that Trump retracts his statements about her, so what happens if he loses but says screw you and refuses to do either?
If a court is ordering a financial settlement and they fail to comply, then you can return to court to have the court make further judgements on it - such as attachment to income (payments taken out of income before received by the one who owes the money), seizure of goods/property and so on, all the way to forcing someone to be declared bankrupt. On attachments to income, people often *lose* their job to nullify it, and so on and so forth.

If he loses, he can always appeal the outcome I think to try and get the amount reduced if it's unduly sizable, and similarly, any omitted evidence and/or new details that could have resulted in a different outcome I *think*. I'm not remotely legal knowledgeable though, and that's UK not USA law, so :) But I doubt he can do the usual nasty tactics to try and avoid payments. Better to just cough up.

Vertigo 7
x4

Post by Vertigo 7 » Mon, 8. May 23, 19:47

Defying a court order is grounds for contempt also and can result in jail/fines. Of course, that's for the little people. Big fish like the Oompa Loompa king get a stern talking to, usually.
rebellionpac.com

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 8. May 23, 20:02

Ah in UK contempt of court is related to influencing the proceeds of a case, disrupting, etc. So that's shouting, reporting, witness tampering etc. Failing to comply with the ruling isn't contempt of court for the UK. If it is in the US, then oh my :D

But should point out, I believe a ruling in a civil case is "liable", not "guilt". The outcome of this case (if I am right) doth not make the man guilty of the acts he's accused of. That requires criminal...

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 8. May 23, 20:04

well what a total twit of a lawyer
Donald Trump's defense attorney, Joe Tacopina, struggled to defend his client in the closing statements of a civil rape trial.

At a court hearing on Monday, Tacopina closed by telling the jury he could not prove Trump did not rape writer E. Jean Carroll.

"Ms. Carroll has abused the system," Tacopina said, according to Inner City Press correspondent Mathew Russell Lee. "She brought a case for money, and victimized real rape victims, exploiting their pain and suffering. We cannot let her profit from her abuse of this process."

"How do you prove a negative?" he complained. "If Donald Trump had come [to testify], what could I have asked him? About some unknown date? This is a civil case. They could have called Donald Trump. But they didn't. They just want you to hate him enough."
I mean, seriously, this guy needs to be disbarred. Not real rape? and not calling Trump to testify? he had an opportunity but failed to say that he was coming. And as this is a civil case, he doesn't even need to be there. I bet the guy also thinks Trump is guilty, just doesn't want to admit it. But what a slimeball.

I hope that the jury makes the right decision. Hope we don't have long to wait.
=

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 8. May 23, 20:55

I love the idea someone should be disbarred because you think so :D

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Mon, 8. May 23, 21:17

Chips wrote:
Mon, 8. May 23, 20:55
Well, his closing arguments are nothing but BS, especailly on the reasons why Trump wasn't there. just a slimeball. But anyway, he probably going to get fired soon anyway.
=

felter
xr

Post by felter » Tue, 9. May 23, 00:02

Chips wrote:
Mon, 8. May 23, 20:55
Yeah, but he may just end up being disbarred for his Stormy Daniels lie.

matthewfarmery
x3

Post by matthewfarmery » Tue, 9. May 23, 09:21

Good,
The New York state justice presiding over former President Donald Trump's hush money case largely sided with Manhattan prosecutors on Monday, issuing a new order that bars the former president from posting evidence related to the case on his social media accounts.
Sort of a gag order, but about time, now we have to see if Trump obeys it it not.

So the Jury is now out on the civil trial, I really hope they do the right thing. One piece of evidence that hasn't been mentioned, are emails from the three witnesses.
“It’s too hyperbolic,” Martin wrote in the message, according to the exhibit. “Too much celebratory stuff over something that hasn’t really happened. She said next she’s gonna sue T when adult victims of rape law is passed in new York State or something. WTF.”
That does look bad in her favour mind, but at the same time, there is a lot of hard evidence against, including the disposition. But anyway, its down to the jury now.
=

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 9. May 23, 17:29

I thought there was no real hard evidence? Just he-said-she-said - and the only evidence being corroboration over a phone call after the fact being made between her and a friend about it, neither of which can narrow down the time to less than vague 2 month period.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... awsuit-dna
Kaplan said lawyers for Trump and Carroll had more than three years to make DNA an issue in the case and both chose not to do so.
As for what defence attorneys say - what do you think the job of a defence is? Seriously concerned about your "bet he thinks he's guilty just doesn't want to admit it" - it isn't his job to do so. It's about ensuring the plaintiff's case is tested robustly. Has he done that? He's got Trump as a client who sounds about as cooperative as a block of concrete :D

Trump may harm his own defence by not getting in the stand, but that was his choice. Why the defence lawyer should be disbarred unless you can show some good reason though? Must admit, if DNA could have proven/disproven, then why the sides didn't is beyond me - surely possible appeal material?

Return to “Off Topic English”