A strange *NEW* pc problem a friend experiencing.

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gavrushka
x4

A strange *NEW* pc problem a friend experiencing.

Post by Gavrushka » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 09:47

Have a friend In NL with a great new PC, fast in every respect apart from downloads from Microsoft Store. It's literally downloading at old modem speeds prior to broadband. Is there anything should be checked? (win 11)
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: A strange *NEW* pc problem a friend experiencing.

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 11:08

When my download speeds from a specific trusted site are unusually slow, I usually find that it is some perceived real-time security issue. Either the system thinks the source has a risk (false positive, embargoed advertising, etc), or the source thinks the system has a risk in the handshake protocol. The extra challenges and checks slow things down. I sometimes get around that by easing (but not removing) the system real-time checking level for that site (if I trust it).

The only other potential things that I can think of are:
1. One or other side in the exchange was expecting a different protocol or port to be used.
2. There is the impact of some geographical area exchange protocol or data transfer issue at play.
3. The source penalises the system for running some sort of advertising-blocker by artificially reducing download speed.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 14:19

to echo the above,

take a note of all 3rd party software and services, antivirus etc

check if region settings are correct

double check download speed vs few sites that do that

check network traffic in the Task Manager. Maybe there is something else downloading

when was the PC downloading at a normal speed from Microsoft Store?
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 3. Oct 23, 01:41

Thank you! I've passed on the details, and I don't doubt it'll see this sorted. They had been having issues sorting out the region prior...
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

Return to “Off Topic English”