Error opening system base.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Error opening system base.

Post by Cursed Ghost » Fri, 19. Nov 21, 12:33

Hi all

So I’m still running XP and as I’m sure you are aware Valve dropped support for XP needless to say this is a problem because now all my steam game are completely useless and I’m unable to get any of them working due to the fact that they require steam to run and steam no longer works for XP as it is I didn’t like steam due to the fiasco with the launch of steam and half-life 2, but now I’m really angry because if they where going to drop support for XP then there should have been patches to every game on steam to allow those games to run without steam and they should have provided an alternative means of downloading games you own, so that you aren’t locked out.

Anyway to the problem I’m trying to get X3: Farnham's Legacy up and running but I’m having issues since I cant run steam I got my brother to download the game files which I then copied to my computer I then applied the no steam exe however when I try to start the game I get the error message

Error opening system base

So my question is what is going on because when I copy the AP no steam exe in to the same game folder AP works just fine.

So somehow I don’t think the problem is the game because my brother did a verification run on TC, AP and FL and they all came back just fine and if the game was corrupted missing files what ever then AP wouldn’t work, which leads me to conclude that the issue is not with the game but the actual no steam exe for X3: Farnham's Legacy

So how then do I resolve this problem ??

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Error opening system base.

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 19. Nov 21, 14:56

Not going into the whole (legal) thing about some one else retrieving files for you, considering that X3FL is a free update to AP and all that.

Unfortunately X3FL will not run on Windows XP, it requires Windows 7 or newer OS to run.

MFG

Ketraar

PS. Maybe you get it to run on Win XP by installing the VC++2015 redistributable
PPS.: Also when you move the files from one PC to the other, it maybe that the depencies are not transferred, they usually get added when you start it via steam. So you may need to install also the DirectX June 2010 version

Cursed Ghost
x3tc

Re: Error opening system base.

Post by Cursed Ghost » Fri, 19. Nov 21, 20:42

Hi all

Ok so after looking around a found a way to get an older version of the stem client working on my XP computer so I copied the game files to the steam directory and did a validation run on TC AP and FL and all 3 validated successfully.

However I’m still unable to get x3 farnham's legacy to run which is strange considering both TC and AP work just fine and I’m able to load both games both with steam and without steam so clearly the problem isn’t missing or damaged game files

So this has me completely mystified because when I checked the steam website yesterday I said it was compatible with XP sp2 however when I went and checked again just now suddenly its saying its not compatible with XP and the minimum is windows 7 although it really should work on XP considering its just an expansion for AP and AP works just fine on XP

which brings me back to my original conclusion the problem is the games executable file.
PS. Maybe you get it to run on Win XP by installing the VC++2015 redistributable
PPS.: Also when you move the files from one PC to the other, it maybe that the dependencies are not transferred, they usually get added when you start it via steam. So you may need to install also the DirectX June 2010 version
some how I don't think that's the problem because when I launched TC/AP it did the whole installing the VC++ redistributable / direct x thing and I just double checked on the add and remove panel and I have the Microsoft visual c++ 2015 - 2019 already installed so again it appears as though the issue is the games executable file.

That being the case then how do I fix it because I don't have hundreds of pounds for a new version of windows.
Not going into the whole (legal) thing about some one else retrieving files for you, considering that X3FL is a free update to AP and all that.
not to put to fine a point on things but there is nothing to get in since I legitimately own AP so the fact that I got my bro to download the files for me because I was having issues getting steam to work due to valve dropping support for XP is utterly irrelevant.

to be perfectly honest is wish Egosoft would drop Steam altogether and just go back to DVDs since the sort of issues I'm having with steam dropping support and making all my games inaccessible as a result makes ALL DIGITAL PLATFORMS bad not least for the fact that they give to much control to someone else I've got games here from all the way back in the 90s that I still play and I don't have to put up with these sort of issues like being unable to access my games due to boneheaded corporate decisions like this that make all my games inaccessible.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”