X3AP : Music problems

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Super Resistant
x3tc

X3AP : Music problems

Post by Super Resistant » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 12:42

Hello,

since a few months, i have a problem : Some music notes/instruments seems to have disapeared in the game (menu or in game).
It happened just like that. I use windows 10 64 bits.

I tried to remove the game and installed it again with no change.
Yesterday, i removed and installed again the CCCP codecs, and it's worst now : there is light crackle now permanently.
I tried to able/unable the mp2/mp3/wma... in cccp audi settings.

Do you know if it happen to somebody else before ?
Do you have a solution ?
The game is very different without music :(

Thank you :) !

PS : In X3TC, i have no music at all.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X3AP : Music problems

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 14:35

The CCCP codec pack is generally quite unnecessary and does cause issues with X-X3 XP/DirectShow-era games. Uninstalling CCCP is probably a good first move.

As to what may have changed to cause this issue, it tends to be either a sound driver change/update or installing something else that installs its own codecs and/or changes system settings to suit itself better.

If you still have ongoing X game music issues, then what some have done successfully is to download a freeware mp3-wma conversion tool and then change all the in-game music mp3 files to wma format. (back everything up before conversion just in case of mistakes.) That conversion seems to have helped many with such music issues as missing tracks, low volume, hissing or distortion.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Super Resistant
x3tc

Post by Super Resistant » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 15:07

Thanks a lot :)
i will do it and tell you aboout the result.
Thank you :)

Super Resistant
x3tc

Post by Super Resistant » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 15:47

I removed cccp again.
I changed MP3 to WMA and it's now worst with a loud "whistling" (noise) :cry:
I put back mp3 and it's back to before.
I will try to check my audio codecs and tell you later.
I don't have any problem with my others game...

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 9. Dec 21, 22:17

It may be that you have other codec packs installed, or even the dreaded Ffdshow ones? Post a link to your uploaded DxDiag text and I can take a look for you. I can check your device drivers and codecs that way.

Super Resistant
x3tc

Post by Super Resistant » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 17:40

Hello !

thank you for your answer (i didn't noticed it, sorry :| ).
I just solved the the problem by re-installing the "k-lite-codec-pack-full-16-6-2".
X3TC and X3AP are now working again.
Its a real pleasure for a new year.

Thank you for your help all and happy new year :wink: :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 19:22

I'm glad to hear that you have it working now, although I class k-lite as yet another probably unnecessary codec pack (any version) that is liable to cause issues with XP-era game sound rather than improve anything. Having CCCP and k-lite codec packs at the same time was just asking for double-trouble, in my opinion. :wink:

I'll just copy the Codec paragraph from the Tech Sp 'Common Issues and Resolutions' Sticky for your information:
  • Codec Issues.

Codecs are pieces of code similar to drivers that ensure that video and audio are handled in a way that suits the application being used. The X-games are written to expect and use standard Windows Media Player (WMP) codecs. Many other applications, media players & converters and codec packs that you can install, sometimes without even knowing such as with film DVDs that auto-install players, bring along their own different brands of codecs. The well-behaved ones are used only by their respective parent applications but unfortunately some are written to appear as replacements for the WMP ones at all times, probably to save their applications having to use codec detection and management code.

Some codecs are known to cause issues with X-games by being called instead of WMP ones. These can cause blank screens at gamestart, no music and/or voices, garbled or noisy sound in-game, or lags and low frame-rates while playing. Some bespoke codec suppliers, like Ffdshow, can be set so as not to use their codecs with X-games and there is a Sticky Thread at the top of this forum to advise how to do that. Others can only be prevented from harming X-games by being removed through uninstalling the application or codec pack (eg k-lite, CCCP, etc) that installed them, else they will be reinstalled by the application if individually removed.

The list of known codecs harmful to X-games includes, but is not restricted to, Ffdshow, Haali, Nero, ULead, Cyberlink, MainConcept and Viscomsoft. Typically it is specific audio and/or video codecs that cause issues such as the MainConcept/Magix mpegin.dll.

At least one user has reported the digital TV application ProgDVB and its codec elaudec.ax to cause crash issues with X3AP.

At least one user has reported that the DivX media application causes short freeze issues when music changes in X3AP.

Super Resistant
x3tc

Post by Super Resistant » Sat, 1. Jan 22, 23:23

Thank you :) !

I removed cccp a few weeks ago.
The fact is everything was fine during years so i didn't asked questions :P
I just installed k-lite today just in case... :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”