[SCR] Ring of Fire - Stealth Lasertowers (v2.31 - 29.11.09)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Gazz
x4

[SCR] Ring of Fire - Stealth Lasertowers (v2.31 - 29.11.09)

Post by Gazz » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 21:00

English / Deutsch

Ring of Fire - The professional Lasertower solution

[ external image ] . Screenshot 2 . Screenshot 3 . (aka The Biggest and Baddest Bug Zapper Ever Built)

What this script does: it deploys 1-360 Lasertowers. Basically.

Of course there is a twist to it...
Instead of a messy heap where they end up crashing into each other they are deployed in a very accurate and orderly circle.
Also those Lasertowers have Cloaking Devices and they are not afraid to use em.

And if you're thinking of the Reunion style LT, think again. Their laser is now the equivalent of a Gamma Kyon Emitter - with more range.

** Transporter Device required for deployment **

So... first you load up a freighter with Lasertowers.

If you want Stealth Lasertowers (you probably do =) an additional 2 Microchips are required per Lasertower.

If you do not produce these things yourself, the Fleet Support Software from the Bonus Pack can be sent shopping for you.

Then you can either fly the ship yourself or order it to deploy the LT somewhere. If a jumpdrive is installed it will be used to get to the location - even in system if that would save noticable time.

Up to 4 arguments are required to control the placement of the defensive ring but you can set defaults so you will usually be entering nothing but the destination plus 0-1 arguments.
(Due to a change in the script system you can no longer ommit Arguments)

1st argument:
The target or location to be protected by the Lasertowers.
Your ship will travel there, using a jumpdrive if available, and start deployment.

Only jump gates are special targets. Any LT Ring targeted within 100 m of a Gate will be aligned with the gate's position and axis. Directly targeting the gate will snap the Ring to a fitting position and enforce a minimum radius of 1600m.
This default radius can support up to 60 Lasertowers although fewer
or a larger radius are preferrable.

2nd argument:
Number of Lasertowers to be deployed: 1 through 360

* Enter "?" or "0" to get the in game help page.

* Entering "all" will deploy all LT in the ship's cargo bay.
If the ship also carries any Microchips it will only deploy as many
Stealth LT as it has chips for.

* Config option: set ring : Lasertowers will deployed in a ring around the target.

* Config option: set spiral : Lasertowers will deployed in a multiple spiral around the target.

* Config option: set scan # : Entering "set scan 11000" will adjust the scanners of all your Stealth LT to 11 km. This includes already deployed ones.
Allowed values are 3000 - 20000. A cloaked Lasertower scans this range for enemies and will only uncloak if any are detected.
(The range of the Lasertower's weapon is 6600 m)

* Config option: set cloak : Stealth Lasertower cloaking is controlled by their software.

* Config option: set decloak : Disable cloaking for ALL of your S.L.T. until told otherwise.

3rd argument:
Radius of the circle in metres: -10.000 through +10.000 metres.

* Entering 0 will calculate the smallest possible radius and use it.
* Entering 1 will use the radius you saved with "set".

* Config option: set # : Entering "set 1920" as a radius will save this and always use this radius when you enter "1".

Entering a negative number for the radius will override the "sensible range" check and deploy as per your order.

4th argument:
Axis orientation. What axis the circle should be drawn around: X, Y, or Z
This argument is ignored when you select a jump gate as target. (within 100m of the gate)

Stealth Technology:
If the cargo bay contains 2 Units of Microchips per LT then all LT will
automatically be deployed as Stealth LT. They operate like perfectly normal Lasertowers while enemies are in range but the advantage is that they cloak completely when no hostiles are close.
And completely means that they do not show up in your sector / property list any more so even with 100 Stealth Lasertowers in the sector you will no longer have a problem with finding your ships.
Also less display lag and your ships have a much easier time navigating the sector.

Friend/Foe settings:
Stealth LT routinely update their scanners with your global settings.
Some races (Xenon) apparently can't be set to neutral to your LT but it works with pirates and other races.
A LT will remain stealthed and let a pirate pass until you set pirates to Foe.

Deployment:
The ship is stopped dead while the autopilot deploys Lasertowers and it can take a while with large numbers.
This is not very useful as an instant super-weapon and intentionally so. =)

OOS Performance:
Note that unlike "regular" Lasertowers, LT deployed by this script
(whether stealthed or not) are equally efficient in and out of sector.
Due to the mechanics of OOS combat, normal LT do well... suck.

MARS has a way to collect Lasertowers swiftly and efficiently.
(only to the playership but it beats maneuvering for 2 hours)

[ external image ] Download . . . ZIP . . .

Installation:
1. Extract the ZIP into the main X3 folder while maintaining paths.
This puts everything in the right places.

2. Enable the Script editor by
changing your PILOT name to Thereshallbewings

3. Save and load the game.
Then you can change the pilot name back.

Resources used:
7013-0044
7013-0049
COMMAND_TYPE_SPECIAL_31
Johnny Cash
Last edited by Gazz on Fri, 9. May 14, 21:50, edited 15 times in total.

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 21:09

THANK YOU GAZZ.

fishface60

Post by fishface60 » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 21:31

Whoa, dude.
I've always wondered why people don't just blockade Jumpgates with Lasertowers, you could very easily block off entire sectors, though with Jumpdrives people can get to sectors behind it.

Brodie
x4

Post by Brodie » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 21:36

I loved this script in X3R!! I had them deployed on the few Unknown sectors i had claimed. I really hope you get this working (log files etc) for X3TC.
Im gonna slap them on every gate in the HUB!

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Tue, 4. Nov 08, 22:03

Sorry to disappoint you but this will be "the" version for the time being.
I'm too busy with other projects to accept a new quest.

Those who have used it before (or *gasp* read the manual!) will be able to use it but the error messages and such aren't working.

The good news is that TC Lasertowers do not use the pea shooters they had in Reunion.
Their laser is now the equivalent to a Gamma Kyon Emitter. Just with more range...
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

corhen
x3tc

Post by corhen » Wed, 5. Nov 08, 03:51

wow, is there ANYTing that could survive that?

1 tower killed my M4 so 360 is what, like 4 M2?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 5. Nov 08, 07:45

I'm sorry but survival of the enemy is not intended.
Works as designed.

Unlike regular LT those are effective OOS as well. (Or should be - I have barely tested this in TC)

Try and plant 3 rings of the same diameter around an object, one on the X, Y, and Z axis each.
That creates sort of a a sphere.
Think of it as your own private Death Star. =P
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

fishface60

Post by fishface60 » Wed, 5. Nov 08, 11:39

You do however run the risk of the lasertowers hitting each other, unless the target is inside the sphere.
THEN LASERY DEATH AWAITS
MUAHAHAHAHAHA!

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 5. Nov 08, 12:02

Well, the chance of accidentially hitting a LT sized target at 2km is roughly 1 : 12.000.000.
But in principle - you're right.

Personally I prefer 2 concentric circles around a jumpgate, ideally with an identical number of LT.
Just an asthetical issue...

Or you could open the Farnham's Legend Gate & Grill.

spacefueladdict
x3tc

Post by spacefueladdict » Wed, 5. Nov 08, 15:04

YESSSSSSS!!

A big hearty thankyou Gazz, i loved this script in reunion, so glad it's now in TC, Cheers buddy! 8)

smbh

Post by smbh » Thu, 6. Nov 08, 07:01

Excellent mod, but OOS does not seem to work for me. I installed 100 cloaked with a diameter of 2km around a jumpgate, now I have constant message spam whenever a hostile jumps in. As soon as I jump to the sector, he/she dies in seconds, if I remain OOS, my LTs die instead.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 09:16

Right now OOS combat is terribly bugged in TC - for all ships.
Sometimes your ships (not just LT) simply never fire a shot when OOS regardless of what weapons they have.

In a first test I could not get some ships to fire OOS at all even with direct fire orders.

ManiakNL
x3ap

Post by ManiakNL » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 17:35

So what does this actualy do ?

First you buy 360 laser towers and the script will line them up in a circle arround a particular selected object ?

Or is it a cheat that just spawns them

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 17:53

You have to buy them first...

and 360 lasertowers is a LOT of money >.>
But apparently lasertowers got a huge boost, so it might be worth it

vannawodka

Post by vannawodka » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 03:45

Is this by any chance incompatible with space loot transporter? It's a special command. After installing I can't find the fleet support sw that's mentioned.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 06:40

Probably. I submitted it to the compatibility list but alas, the post was overlooked. It happens.

ManiakNL wrote:So what does this actualy do ?
First you buy 360 laser towers and the script will line them up in a circle arround a particular selected object ?
You can deploy a variable number.
360 of them would stop 3-4 Xenon invasions at once. =P
See the death star weapon screenshot in the first post? That was like 80-90.
Or is it a cheat that just spawns them
*slap* Cheats? Pfft. Too easy!

Version 2.28 released.

Text / Log messaged corrected.

No change to the OOS behaviour.
That simply has... issues... in TC. Let's see what the next patch does. =)

vannawodka

Post by vannawodka » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 22:17

Thanks for the reply. My script folder was a mess, and i fixed the issue by updating space loot tp.

angrysquirrel
x3

Post by angrysquirrel » Sun, 16. Nov 08, 00:09

Hi Gazz!

I little off topic but I was wondering if / when you would be introducing your station complex cleaner mover like you had in x3 reunion? I find your program indispensable to building my empire! :)

tontonfred
x3

Post by tontonfred » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 20:38

Another nice script by Gazz ; I really like the stealth feature, keeps the sector map from cluttering with 20 LT around a gate. Got a question however : I deployed my first Ring of Fire around a Gate (arguments : select Gate, 20, axis Y), so it deployed the LTs very nicely in a tight circle around the gate.

The LTs are Stealth so they all disappear ; I then jump OOS and after a while I get a message that they are being attacked. I jump in sector again to watch the fight (a Xenon P + couple fighters) and I see that the LTs are now all over the place :

EDIT : pic deleted on OP's request ;)

Will the LTs lose their positions when they disappear/reappear ? It's not so efficient as some of the LTs are now very far apart and can not protect each other.
Last edited by tontonfred on Tue, 2. Dec 08, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

drakend

Post by drakend » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 21:09

Gazz wrote: No change to the OOS behaviour.
That simply has... issues... in TC. Let's see what the next patch does. =)
Let's say TC isn't properly a good example of an almost bug free game... I know something from the "Complex Cleaner script problem", which was a ludicrous game problem instead.
Anyway the lasertowers (and other ships too I guess) are USELESS against even a XENON N in OOS!!!!
I mean a ****** XENON N managed to destroy five lasertowers OOS.... while IS I saw sixty lasertowers deal with a xenon q with ease. The problem is the game and not your script of course! :evil:

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”