[SCRIPT] Marine Training Manager *Updated - v3* 12/23/2008

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

cboath
x3tc

Post by cboath » Mon, 15. Jun 09, 11:48

zymurg wrote:Thank you for this script. I was going crazy with the vanilla version.
It took me awhile to get it started because I didn't read anywhere that you could not use the script if you were docked and I keep trying to get it to work while docked.
Yep its been posted that it looks like you cant start training marines with this script while docked, only once so easy to miss.
Does the training still occur while the ship with the marines is docked? Also, if I were to unintentionally 'Train' my marines at a Military Base while they are being trained by your script what happens? (other than just a waste of credits). How does it affect their training level? (Not that I want to make that mistake, but I have various ships with marines and many are in the middle of training the old fashion way. I don't want to have to undock my Capital ships in order to train my marines with your script and then have to try and redock them again.
I would imagine the marines continue to train as the script is still running. Any actual skill change or cost for training marines with this script is not made until the end of the training. So if you happen to accidentally start regular training at a Military Outpost it should remove it from the script training with no skill increase, as that is done at the end.
One additional question. Can you use these marines while they are in training? If you enter a battle with the ship that has marines in training will they board another ship and which level of training are they using, since they don't get their star rating until all the training is complete. Does their training stop once they board another ship and they stay at the old rating? (in other words, you cannot use them when they are training or you lose all the training so far).
Sorry, one final question. If you have marines in training using your script to, say level 4, and they have not completed it yet, then you decide to increase it to level 5,... will they lose the training so far or pick up from the current progress of the training. In other words, do you have to wait for all the training to complete before you increase it to another level?
Yes you have to wait before you can do any further training, as its already been said.

You should always use the newest version of a script/mod. Unless you read the thread and prefer an older version for whatever reason.

Graxster posted in early April his mother had to have quadruple bypass heart surgery. For some reason i cant click on peoples forum names to check to see when he last posted to see if he is back and just forgot about this thread.

Madtrack
x3tc

Post by Madtrack » Sat, 4. Jul 09, 04:23

I think I found another bug, anyone else have it ?

sometimes the hotkey won't work depending on which ship I am atm,
for instance if I try to train some marines from my TL, the script will complain that they are already training, when they are not.

If immediately afterwards I hop in my, say, M6 then try training the same guys again, it will work, not sure what causes this, maybe it has to do with which ship was used when the training started/finished.

This only happens using the micro manager, I think I'll stop using it altogether and just use bulk training (which always work because it does not check for training in progress)

Denu
x3tc

Post by Denu » Thu, 9. Jul 09, 20:43

Does this mod work with version 2.1 ?????

I'm a bit new to the modding area, i was forced to find a mod because the marine training is terribly annoying with the message spam!

Thanks.

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Thu, 9. Jul 09, 21:15

I'm using it fine, with no problems. Except for that one split guy that I couldn't train anymore because I was already training him even though he never got any better. Ended up spacing him...uhmmm...Letting him go due to inadequate performance. No problems with any of my other 40 or so I used it on.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

ianrobo75
x4

Post by ianrobo75 » Fri, 10. Jul 09, 10:32

any chance of an spk for version 3?
Win10 Home 64-bit, Intel i7-9750H @ 2.6GHz. NVidia GeForce RTX 2070 (8 GB). 16 GB ram.

Marodeur
xr

Post by Marodeur » Fri, 10. Jul 09, 14:29

Its easy to make it yourself. ;)

I have one for the german version but the text is in the script so there has to be a separate download for every language.

Graxster has allowed me to alter his script. For the german version i implemented the ship name in the messages and the entry for cycrows plugin configuration menu.

My next project will be to get all the text out of the script into the text file. If i have done that the download will be for both languages. But i cant specify a concrete time for that because i am busy with other work (translations and some work in my house ;) ).

Cheers.

zymurg
x3tc

Post by zymurg » Fri, 17. Jul 09, 22:52

Is it compatible with the recent 2.1 patch for X3 or will I have to re-install it or remove it?

DannyDSC
x4

Post by DannyDSC » Sun, 19. Jul 09, 18:08

I use this mod with patch 2.1 and work apparently perfectly :)
The Indie Seeker - The Twitter Channel for your indiegames!

Ex Egosoft Translator/Currently writer for www.ilvideogioco.com

@IlVideogiococom is the ONLY italian website that offers full coverage to ALL #indiegames! Are you an #indiedev?
Feel free to follow and contact us on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram!

Venutian

Post by Venutian » Sun, 23. Aug 09, 19:50

Loving this script but some questions.

1. I read from the post earlier that moving marines in training to different ship cancels training. If so, boarding a ship with the marine in training will also cancel the training since he has moved to another ship?

2. If the training is canceled... all the training up to that point is lost? If I tell it to go from level 1 to 5 and cancel in the middle, do I get level 3 marine or does he go back to level 1?

3. Is the money taken out at the beginning of training or at the completion?

4. What happens when there's no more money while the training is in progress? Is it canceled and have to restart or does it resume when there's money back in the account?

5. When using the bulk training ALWAYS trains from level 1 regardless of the marine's existing level? If I set a 3star marine and a 1star marine to be bulk trained, both of them will start training from 1 star?

Basically what happened is I set 10 marines to be trained from level 1 to 5 in all skills not realizing how much money it costs. I'm running low on cash and wish to stop the training temporarily but wanted to know if I would be wasting all the money and training levels.

gapper4
x3ap

Post by gapper4 » Wed, 16. Sep 09, 10:17

Thanks for the great mod, Graxster ! Makes it much more straightforward to train marines.

One question, though, how do you bulk-train skills concurrently ? I seem to have the option to bulk train only one skill at a time. I'm using version 2.

Madtrack
x3tc

Post by Madtrack » Wed, 16. Sep 09, 10:39

gapper4 wrote:Thanks for the great mod, Graxster ! Makes it much more straightforward to train marines.

One question, though, how do you bulk-train skills concurrently ? I seem to have the option to bulk train only one skill at a time. I'm using version 2.
I'm using v3 and not V2, but, if you just select the bulk training again and choose another skill, it will train both at the same time

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Fri, 2. Oct 09, 14:05

For my own use I have made some minor modifications to the plugin.marine.training.manager.bulk & plugin.marine.training.manager.work scripts, somewhat simplifying the process of adjusting the cost & time of using this script.

If Graxster would like me to I am not adverse to uploading the variant somewhere for others to use.

FYI, all I've done is add variables into the scripts so that the multiplier for Cost & divisor for Time (defaulted to 2 & 2 for v2 & v3 of the base script) can be adjusted to integer value by adjust a maximum of 5 lines, rather than approx 40, in the 2 files mentioned (5 lines because I got lazy with the .work file & you can actually adjust whether or not the cost is in thousands for Micro-management).

This modification has had very limited bug-testing.

Edit: Just did a test where I ramped the speed up so all 5 levels get done in just over 2.5 minutes, & costs are at "default" (i.e. half of v2/v3 pricing), & it seems to work perfectly.

Shadow86

Post by Shadow86 » Tue, 22. Dec 09, 20:07

I'd be interested in such modifications, or at least pointers so that I can tweak the .XMLs myself.

Training time is still outrageous. :(

juanitierno
xrvr

Post by juanitierno » Tue, 29. Dec 09, 20:33

Perhaps its been posted before.

The 2nd and 3rd download (includingt he only spk) still point to version 2.

Thanks!

ADStryker
x3tc

Post by ADStryker » Sun, 16. May 10, 00:18

Shadow86 wrote:I'd be interested in such modifications, or at least pointers so that I can tweak the .XMLs myself.

Training time is still outrageous. :(
Solomon Short has identified the two relevant files.

XML is pretty ugly (to me, anyway), but Whimsy's EXSCRIPTOR provides a means to edit those files in a much more readable presentation.

I also followed the instructions of Ind0ctr1n3 and converted the separate script and text files to an SPK file. Seemed quite straightforward, and the installed plugin seems to work as intended.

It does seem to work fine with patch 2.6 of X3TC (although I haven't tried the bulk training option yet).
PSCO1 Cockpits | lowpolyroids-2.04 | Satellite Early Warning Network | Station Camper | Universal Best Buys/Sells | Invasion Warnings | ResizedAldrinBigRock | Equipment R&D | Lowpoly Complex Tubes | Mobile Ship Repairs | Player Workshop | Marauder Shipyard

taukarrie
x3tc

Post by taukarrie » Sat, 10. Jul 10, 02:40

just for clarity's sake... by "train multiple skills concurrently does that mean that i can take a single TP full of ten marines and use the bulk trainer to train them all in all 5 skills at the same time? if so does that mean that each skill progression is simultanious or are the individual skills trained one at a time after giving the order?

also, its said the the bulk trainer "assumes" the marines are at level 1. does that mean something will go wrong if i try to bulk train a ship full of marines with different skills at different levels?

and one more.. whats this scabbard bug im hearing about? i did have a problem trying this script with my terran marines that i got fromt he plot mission but i spaced them and got new marines and everything seems fine. after getting past that part is there a chance that this bug will occurlater?

Strategist
x4

Post by Strategist » Sat, 10. Jul 10, 02:55

will this allow, non-marine personal to be trained and turned into Marines?

TEKing66
xr

Post by TEKing66 » Sat, 10. Jul 10, 02:55

@ Graxster

Just out of curiosity, can this script run on a player owned Military Outpost or base?
My mods for X3TC & X3AP

Been with the X-series from the beginning. If it happens in the X_Universe I've been there done that several times over.

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Sat, 10. Jul 10, 03:14

@ taukarrie

Yep, you got it right: bulk trainer trains every marine you have on board the target ship, and you can use it to train them all to 5 stars in every skill. Training is simultaneous for each skill.

The bulk trainer hasn't got the scripts to actually GET what level are the marines at the moment (probably because it was a script command added only after some patches), so whatever are the skills of the marines onboard, they will be treated the same as they had no skill at all. Which means it will take the same time (and money) to train to level 5 a marine with 0 stars in each skill and one with 3 in each.
The micromanager instead has those checks, and as such is more suited to be used on already experienced marines to avoid wasting time and money. The bulk trainer is handy when you just want to train a large bunch of inexperienced cannon fodder marines, when even if an handful of them have 1 or 2 stars somewhere it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Don't know about the "scabbard bug". If I were to make a wild guess, I would say it could be related to Terran marines not actually being used in the vanilla game apart from those plot occasion, and that might be the cause. Could be because of Terran race (though from what I remember peeking at this script when I was changing its cost and training time lenght for myself there's nothing checking or interfering with the actual marine race, so I doubt it), or maybe some conflicting vanilla script running on those particular marines because of the plot. In the latter case, you should be fine with Terran marines got from other plugins or exploits (such as spawning a terran ship and then taking control over it to use its terran marines), just avoid using this script on those 20 marines given two times during the terran plot.

But it's just a wild guess for the sake of writing, mind me :P

@Strategist

Nope. But there are other scripts around that will convert passengers or slaves to marines IIRC. There should be a couple in the scripts index.

P.S. Oh, and BTW, for everyone: this script still works flawlessly with 2.7.1, so at least for now no reason to worry about compatibility :)

taukarrie
x3tc

Post by taukarrie » Sat, 10. Jul 10, 11:05

@ Kadatherion

thanks for the info. now i dont have to test it for myself by setting a few marines to train and seta for an hour. :)

you mentioned dabbling with the script to change the cost and train times. is that something that someone completely new to scripting can handle? im fairly savy in general, just never messed with X3 scripts.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”