[Guide] Mission Director Basics - Writing Your First Mission

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

akruppa
x3ap

Post by akruppa » Sat, 18. Jan 14, 11:48

That works only if the user wants to install only a single community-created mission. As soon as he installs another, it will overwrite the conversation.xml file of the first one, unless he edits it to merge the additional conversations of the second into the first.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Sat, 18. Jan 14, 15:23

Yes the issue with conversation file was addressed, time constraints and other priorities lead to it not being looked at (yet?). Unfortunately until it does IF it ever will be there is not much one can do, all I can suggest is to try and use the existing conversations as much as possible to avoid incompatibilities. Alternatively one could go and just add all conversations from all mods/missions and redistribute that.

MFG

Ketraar

Shush
x4

Post by Shush » Sat, 18. Jan 14, 17:01

akruppa wrote:That works only if the user wants to install only a single community-created mission. As soon as he installs another, it will overwrite the conversation.xml file of the first one, unless he edits it to merge the additional conversations of the second into the first.
Ketraar wrote:Yes the issue with conversation file was addressed, time constraints and other priorities lead to it not being looked at (yet?). Unfortunately until it does IF it ever will be there is not much one can do, all I can suggest is to try and use the existing conversations as much as possible to avoid incompatibilities. Alternatively one could go and just add all conversations from all mods/missions and redistribute that.
As I said, my users don't seem to have too many issues copying/renaming/inserting my mod specific conversations into the right places.

Given that, it would be totally trivial to create an external utility that presents a file browser/list box that selects a base conversations.xml and then allows the insertion of multiple mod specific conversations. It would generate a new conversations.xml and save it into the correct folder based on game type. You could even keep a repository of mission conversations online, once again all trivial. But personally I really don't see the need, the majority of X3 users have not only been dealing with combining mods for years, most of them are computer literate as well /shrug

Purls
x4

Re: [Guide] Mission Director Basics - Writing Your First Mission

Post by Purls » Sun, 10. Jul 22, 01:38

Hey there. I doubt that this thread is ever looked at anymore, but does anyone have a link to the files used in this tutorial?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”