MOD suggestion fo X3

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

YesmanY
x3tc

MOD suggestion fo X3

Post by YesmanY » Mon, 28. Mar 22, 16:47

Hello!
Please, I need suggestions on which mods for X3 to play with. Or even do I need them either.
I'm very new to X Series, just don't ask why, first time I heard about this universe just 3-4 years ago, but I'm playing games since 90's.

Bought X4 with DCL's, but I just can't get in to it, I mean I very like it in gameplay wise, but it's look and feel to me so inconsistent and un-optimized mess, so when installed X3 TC/AP/FL I was shocked, how such degradation with X4 even possible, and when I looked on yt for X Rebirth I was double shocked. For sure X4 rendering, lighting, shadows are light years ahead. But for example with mesh complexity I'm not even sure, was it even right move to increase in such way, for the simulation of such scale from optimization standpoint. So, for now, I decided to wait for future updates. I mean I'm not saying it is bad game, it good, but I will just wait for updates.

So, I switched my view to X3. I mean I read about XTC, LU, Mayhem 3... I will describe what I want from the game to make right choice.
I'm not interested in huge dogfights and very large fleets management/battles, or story driven missions. But I want game, where I can do trade runs, mining, pirating, establish logistics and factories/station. Game with good, breathing economy, which feels just great and alive, it may be not hardcore simulated, but instead be believable. May be sector control, to cut opponent from supply/resources.

I read a lot about Mayhem 3, and I guess I like it, but I don't have too much experience with X Universe. The problem that I just don't have much of time to dig hundreds of hours just to realize that I need mods, instead I want deep, long gameplay, and I'm not afraid to slowly reveal game features and google on how specific mechanic works.
So please, suggest which mod to choose or do I even need it? Thanks in advance!

michael86
x3ap

Re: MOD suggestion fo X3

Post by michael86 » Mon, 28. Mar 22, 20:13

So I guess, you like the X3 series better. Me too.
If you only want trading and logistics instead of huge fights then you should play TC and skip the plots. Same with AP, which has a better interface, a few new ships and other improvements.
A good mod could be TCP4AP, so you have both.
The question is, what should have a mod thats not already in the basic game? You can add scripts, if you need them in both.
There are TOTT or EMC4AP but they are more for fighting. I dont know the XTC or Mayhem 3.
I tried TOTT or EMC4AP but it has too much in it.
I play TCP4AP, start as humble merchant and build up my empire and economics first and try to avoid fights. Then I start with the story.
Sounds like that would be the right MOD for you.
Currently, I try to extend this MOD a little (import parts of other Mods and try to realize my own ideas). I didnt plan to publish it but if you and others are interested, we can talk about it.
But I just started with it and also with modding. So it will take a while.
Maybe the other users have a better idea.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 28. Mar 22, 21:32

My usual suggestion is to play the base game first to learn the basics and to identify what you like and don't like about it. Then look for specific scripts and mods that change or improve the aspects you don't like or enhance the aspects you like.
Scripts can be installed in an existing savegame. So you can add them along the way without having to worry about missing out on something. For the things you like to focus on, like "trade runs, mining, pirating, establish logistics and factories/station" there's a multitude of different scripts. For example, Commodity Logistics Software (CLS) and Commercial Agent (CAG) are famous scripts by Lucike adding more control to logistics and supplying stations.
michael86 wrote:
Mon, 28. Mar 22, 20:13
I play TCP4AP, start as humble merchant and build up my empire and economics first and try to avoid fights. Then I start with the story.
Sounds like that would be the right MOD for you.
Why's that? The OP mentioned that they don't care for story driven missions. (Or am I misreading something?) Therefore, it seems odd to me to suggest a mod that adds (story) plots to the game. (In this case, X3TC plots to X3AP.)
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

michael86
x3ap

Post by michael86 » Mon, 28. Mar 22, 23:03

No, you’re right. Either iam totally wrong or already a step ahead.
I understood he is a beginner and you already said the basic game would be the best. By the way that also includes plots. My thoughts were TC has the good stories and AP is the better game. And TCP4AP is pretty much AP with more stories. So you don’t need to start a new game and you’re more flexible.
If you don’t want them, you don’t need to play them. But you still have the option if you want to for later. If you’re totally sure, you can skip them to get your rewards.
Or did I understand something wrong?

Manawydn
x4

Post by Manawydn » Wed, 6. Apr 22, 22:37

If you are new, play the base-game first. Full stop. Too many people delve straight in to modding, then ask why X,Y,Z isn't working etc, not knowing whether or not X,Y, or Z are game-related, actual bugs, or mod related. So start with about 10ish hours in TC/AP first.

After you've done some things in the vanilla base-game, that is, a little fighting, trading, build your first couple stations, make them turn a profit; Then I would suggest working in mods if you want to change up the experience.

Best mod I can recommend for X3 is Litcube's Universe. If you don't want it to be any sort of dangerous (It's already pretty tame either way) then you can turn off the "big bad guys" that the mod features, and just sandbox away in your relatively peaceful universe.

I also recommend any/all of the Litcube-based mods out there, like Starwars LU or Mayhem 3. I'd wait on them before going through a "Vanilla Litcube" experience. Litcube's Universe also has all the help you need in the in-game encyclopedia - Something that does not quite exist the same way in the vanilla X3TC or X3AP game. Litcube put like, idk, 7 years or so of their life in to the mod, and it shows. I only played TC/AP to get the experience needed to jump in to LU. Though, you could probably jump straight in to it without going vanilla, I never recommend that on the basis of "good practices". Always, ALWAYS play the vanilla game thoroughly before modding the game in question. Always, no matter what. Saves time down the road.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”